Possible position in Pre-Med Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!
So my university is not exactly pre-med oriented and I found out that they will start a pre-med committee. They're currently looking for students to join their chair committee positions and basically they'll be responsible for helping set up the committee by calling doctors to create a list for students interested in shadowing as well as develop better advising and everything else a pre-med committee should do. I'm a bit interested, but I don't know if joining the committee will be a strain on my life right now since I assume that it will be busy. I'm currently volunteering at a hospital and organization and I need to get my GPA up, but I also need more activities on my record since I will be applying next cycle. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

if you can fit it in. try it out. could be advantageous

Your GPA is obviously quite important to success in the medical school application process. This opportunity sounds like a good one, and I would certainly explore it further. However, I don’t think you should take it if you ultimately feel it is likely to jeopardize your GPA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am always amazed at how SDN posters think that anonymous posters online can somehow tell them if something will work with their schedule / other commitments or not.

Reactions: 1 user
So my university is not exactly pre-med oriented and I found out that they will start a pre-med committee. They're currently looking for students to join their chair committee positions and basically they'll be responsible for helping set up the committee by calling doctors to create a list for students interested in shadowing as well as develop better advising and everything else a pre-med committee should do. I'm a bit interested, but I don't know if joining the committee will be a strain on my life right now since I assume that it will be busy. I'm currently volunteering at a hospital and organization and I need to get my GPA up, but I also need more activities on my record since I will be applying next cycle.
If you were to take on a leadership role (coming up with new initiatives, delegating tasks, taking on overall responsibility for outcomes), this might be helpful to your application. If you are merely showing up for meetings, following instructions, and doing the legwork (phone calls), not so much. But GPA is your first priority. Dazzling ECs won't make a difference if no one reads at your entire application.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everybody!
So my university is not exactly pre-med oriented and I found out that they will start a pre-med committee. They're currently looking for students to join their chair committee positions and basically they'll be responsible for helping set up the committee by calling doctors to create a list for students interested in shadowing as well as develop better advising and everything else a pre-med committee should do. I'm a bit interested, but I don't know if joining the committee will be a strain on my life right now since I assume that it will be busy. I'm currently volunteering at a hospital and organization and I need to get my GPA up, but I also need more activities on my record since I will be applying next cycle. Please help!

Can’t imagine what role an undergrad, without a med school acceptance, could possibly serve.