7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
As per the title, can you moonlight after you complete and receive credit for the full PGY-I psychiatry year if you resign after finishing the year or are in the process of transferring??

Is it highly state-dependent or are there other typical clauses?

As always, really appreciate the responses from everyone.


Professional Cat at Large
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
you need a full license in order to moonlight, along with your DEA and possibly malpractice coverage depending on whether they cover you or not. Depending on the state it takes 1, 2 or 3 years to get a full medical license. In your case, as an IMG, you would need 2-3 years of residency to get a full license depending on the state. Also technically if you resign residency you wouldn't be moonlighting, because you won't have a primary job anymore (moonlighting refers to a side gig). Many places will allow residents to moonlight on the premise they are in good standing in their residency program. If you aren't a resident you can't moonlight. However, some institutions may be desperate enough to hire someone with one year of training to work, but you will need a full medical license. Bear in mind it can takes months to get credentialed also.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.