Post - bac? and grade question! please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wpeck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers

I've read over a couple pages on this forum and noticed someone mentioned that D.O. schools don't average the grade of a class if its retaken but actually take the higher grade. My question is, does this policy apply to all D.O. schools. Secondly, does the class have to be re-taken at the same university you attended undergrad, while youre still in undergrad?

I have already graduated from undergrad and my GPA is slightly low 3.15 and my science probably a little below that. I am looking at attending a post-bac program which is offered at a school different from the one I attended in undergrad to boost my grades. I can choose to either retake the same courses or take new upper level science courses to boost my GPA. What should I do, retake the same courses? Would my gpa go up? Or take different upper level courses to prove I can do it. Which option is the more commonsensical one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dr.z said:
They don't take the higher grade. They count the most recent grade.
right now im doing some retakes at a school that doesnt have minus grades., only full letter and plus. for example my previous school 4 = 4.0, a- = 3.7, b+ 3.3 b = 3. My new school is goes a = 4, b+ 3.5, b = 3.0. Les say I get a b+ does AACOM calculate the 3.5 or do they use there own system.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
It's usually suggested that you only retake courses that you got a D/C- in. After you've taken care of that, you should focus on upper level science courses in your post-bac program. There's no point in retaking a course that you got a B- in b/c it's assumed that the second time around, you should do much better.

Good luck! :)
wpeck said:
Hello SDNers

I've read over a couple pages on this forum and noticed someone mentioned that D.O. schools don't average the grade of a class if its retaken but actually take the higher grade. My question is, does this policy apply to all D.O. schools. Secondly, does the class have to be re-taken at the same university you attended undergrad, while youre still in undergrad?

I have already graduated from undergrad and my GPA is slightly low 3.15 and my science probably a little below that. I am looking at attending a post-bac program which is offered at a school different from the one I attended in undergrad to boost my grades. I can choose to either retake the same courses or take new upper level science courses to boost my GPA. What should I do, retake the same courses? Would my gpa go up? Or take different upper level courses to prove I can do it. Which option is the more commonsensical one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

LINYKid said:
right now im doing some retakes at a school that doesnt have minus grades., only full letter and plus. for example my previous school 4 = 4.0, a- = 3.7, b+ 3.3 b = 3. My new school is goes a = 4, b+ 3.5, b = 3.0. Les say I get a b+ does AACOM calculate the 3.5 or do they use there own system.
thanks

For them + is 0.3 so B+ would be 3.3.

TSK said:
It's usually suggested that you only retake courses that you got a D/C- in. After you've taken care of that, you should focus on upper level science courses in your post-bac program. There's no point in retaking a course that you got a B- in b/c it's assumed that the second time around, you should do much better.

I disagree with this. I do agree that it is assumed that the 2nd time around you'll do much better and I do agree you should focus on upper level classes, but not disregard your prereqs.

Why? If you had, let's say, all C's (~2.0) in your premed prereqs, your BCP will be awful... but if you retook them all and got A's, your BCP would be high 3's, if not 4.0.

And that will matter multiple times in the admissions process.

Oculus Sinistra said:
I disagree with this. I do agree that it is assumed that the 2nd time around you'll do much better and I do agree you should focus on upper level classes, but not disregard your prereqs.

Why? If you had, let's say, all C's (~2.0) in your premed prereqs, your BCP will be awful... but if you retook them all and got A's, your BCP would be high 3's, if not 4.0.

And that will matter multiple times in the admissions process.
I agree wouldn't you want to show the highest grades possible in your sci. classes especially your prereq's, maybe take a few upper level but focus on getting high marks in the prereq's

LINYKid said:
I agree wouldn't you want to show the highest grades possible in your sci. classes especially your prereq's, maybe take a few upper level but focus on getting high marks in the prereq's

That is my dilemma I am a non-trad with thinking about taking 10 credits over the Fall at USF to raise my GPA. I was thinking either of taking a prereq over and an upper level science course together, plus a spanish course..... Or should I just take all prereqs over and not bother with the upper level science courses.

AlberttheGator said:
That is my dilemma I am a non-trad with thinking about taking 10 credits over the Fall at USF to raise my GPA. I was thinking either of taking a prereq over and an upper level science course together, plus a spanish course..... Or should I just take all prereqs over and not bother with the upper level science courses.

If I were to "retake" courses, it would be only ones in which I got in the C range or lower. (I actually did for a course where I got a D+, but only because the school would not let me graduate otherwise with a chemistry degree.)

At the same time, before repeating a course, you should be careful about the Maris effect. The schools could put a stigma on you, for getting an A/B after taking the course more than once, just like Roger Roger Maris has an asterisk after his 61, because he beat Babe Ruth's record in more games than Ruth himself played.

So if I were to retake a class before getting my BS, they would take the newest grade and not calculate the old one?
Question 2
Do they use my schools GPA or theris?

Does this also count for nonscience course?

you have mentioned grades ranging from C to D....do the rules for DO applicants apply to courses in which you got an F in?

J