post bac schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are post-bac programs scheduled? Normally it's a two year program, is it an intensive and compact set of courses each quarter. Will I be taking chem, physics, bio all in one quarter?

I haven't taken any sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My program was only 1 year, but this was back in 2006, so not sure how much things have changed.

It started in the summer. I took gen chem 1 and 2. In the fall I took Bio (not 101 because I had already taken 101, so I took a little more advanced class), Organic Chem 1 and Physics 1...all with labs. Then, in the spring I took Organic 2, Physics 2 and then I was planning to take Biochem, but opted to work more at my part time job.

It wasn't too bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1 year program at my school had accelerated gchem in the summer, and then physics/upper level bio/orgo during one school year
2 year program at my school had gchem and physics the first year, with physics/upper level bio the second year

Don't blow money on a structured program (unless you really really want to). Go to a CC and take all the pre-reqs you need and ace them. Sprinkle more science courses like Anatomy, Micro, etc. and then apply early.

Don't blow money on a structured program (unless you really really want to). Go to a CC and take all the pre-reqs you need and ace them. Sprinkle more science courses like Anatomy, Micro, etc. and then apply early.

Or look for cheaper programs. I had a friend who was deciding between Columbia post-bacc and CUNY. After seeing how expensive Columbia's program was, she went to CUNY. She still got into Harvard and UCLA so I don't think it was a problem at all.

^^ or dat! :)

But nothing will beat the cost of a CC in my opinion. Or the amount of students in your class. Do what's right for you! :)

My program was a one year, accelerated GChem (4 weeks each) in the summer. Fall was orgo 1/physics 1/UL bio. Spring was orgo 2/physics 2/UL bio/Biochem. Rough year, definitely worth it. I had 0 sciences in undergrad and it was still manageable.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ or dat! :)

But nothing will beat the cost of a CC in my opinion. Or the amount of students in your class. Do what's right for you! :)

I was thinking about CC. I've heard that medical schools don't take CC seriously? My gpa is around 3.3 and I've taken all the hard sciences as a biochem major. Any other suggestions for me?

I was thinking about CC. I've heard that medical schools don't take CC seriously? My gpa is around 3.3 and I've taken all the hard sciences as a biochem major. Any other suggestions for me?

Sofiaji!

Nope. Not true. I would suggest getting that GPA up past 3.4, and get above the equivalent of a 27 on the new MCAT and apply early and have a DO lor. You will get in somewhere. Apply broadly! DO programs are getting slightly more competitive year by year so the higher the GPA and MCAT, the better of a shot you have. Also have a strong clinical aspect in your application and tie that in! :)