Post-Bacc advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunkee Munkee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I need urgent advise on the following:

I would like to do a DIY post-bac. I have been out of school for 1 year. I was told that I would need to re-enroll in order to register for classes. However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student. The latter has a 30 credit limit and the former does not. I need to take 36 credits to raise my GPA to where I want it to be.

My questions is: If I enroll as a matriculate and declare a major, take the 36 credits, get A's, but not finish the major, would that look bad on the transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I need urgent advise on the following:

I would like to do a DIY post-bac. I have been out of school for 1 year. I was told that I would need to re-enroll in order to register for classes. However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student. The latter has a 30 credit limit and the former does not. I need to take 36 credits to raise my GPA to where I want it to be.

My questions is: If I enroll as a matriculate and declare a major, take the 36 credits, get A's, but not finish the major, would that look bad on the transcript?
Nope

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @Goro, you always come to the rescue. I was confused because I spoke to someone from admissions who told me that in the interview I might be asked about why I didn't finish the second degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student.
What does that mean?

When you enroll, I know you can be either degree-seeking student and non-degree seeking student. Non degree student, you just take any classes you want, while degree seeking student you take classes mostly within a degree and others that you like.

Non degree option is best but it doesnt offer you any scholarships. But you can get loans if you need.

I did a DIY post bac. I was a non matriculation student at some of the schools I took courses at and a degree seeking student at a couple others. Schools and adcoms won’t care at all. Just do the cheapest and most time effective course load you can.

Degree seeking usually has better priorities for class signup as well

Wow, didn't expect to get so much feedback. Thank you so much for all the help guys!