Quantcast

Post-Bacc advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunkee Munkee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey all, I need urgent advise on the following:

I would like to do a DIY post-bac. I have been out of school for 1 year. I was told that I would need to re-enroll in order to register for classes. However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student. The latter has a 30 credit limit and the former does not. I need to take 36 credits to raise my GPA to where I want it to be.

My questions is: If I enroll as a matriculate and declare a major, take the 36 credits, get A's, but not finish the major, would that look bad on the transcript?

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I need urgent advise on the following:

I would like to do a DIY post-bac. I have been out of school for 1 year. I was told that I would need to re-enroll in order to register for classes. However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student. The latter has a 30 credit limit and the former does not. I need to take 36 credits to raise my GPA to where I want it to be.

My questions is: If I enroll as a matriculate and declare a major, take the 36 credits, get A's, but not finish the major, would that look bad on the transcript?
Nope

Reactions: 1 user

Chunkee Munkee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Goro, you always come to the rescue. I was confused because I spoke to someone from admissions who told me that in the interview I might be asked about why I didn't finish the second degree.

de Ribas

Nobel Prize Recipient
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
However, in order to enroll I can either be a Matriculate or non-matriculate student.
What does that mean?

When you enroll, I know you can be either degree-seeking student and non-degree seeking student. Non degree student, you just take any classes you want, while degree seeking student you take classes mostly within a degree and others that you like.

Non degree option is best but it doesnt offer you any scholarships. But you can get loans if you need.

workaholic181

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a DIY post bac. I was a non matriculation student at some of the schools I took courses at and a degree seeking student at a couple others. Schools and adcoms won’t care at all. Just do the cheapest and most time effective course load you can.

Magus5454

MS3 C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Degree seeking usually has better priorities for class signup as well

Chunkee Munkee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't expect to get so much feedback. Thank you so much for all the help guys!