Post Bacc Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migi23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied with a 3.5 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA and am currently waitlisted. To increase my chances for next cycle I was thinking about taking 2 post-bacc classes this winter while working to show med schools I am able to continue doing well in upperdiv science courses. I know that this won't raise my GPA but I feel like doing well in these classes will look good when I re-apply in June. Im unsure which courses to take, these are my options:

Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body

Pathophysiology of Cardiovascular Disease

Pulmonary Physiology

Medical Terminology

I would love to take the medical term class bc I feel like it would be very helpful but Im afraid it won't look as rigorous compared to the other courses? I can obviously only take one of the Pathophysio classes so I was thinking one of those + either the pulmonary physio or medical term class. Does the class with "intro" in the name look worse than the other ones? Which 2 courses would u recommend (also trying to get good grades so Id like to take whatever's easiest but still "looks good").

Members don't see this ad.

I applied with a 3.5 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA and am currently waitlisted. To increase my chances for next cycle I was thinking about taking 2 post-bacc classes this winter while working to show med schools I am able to continue doing well in upperdiv science courses. I know that this won't raise my GPA but I feel like doing well in these classes will look good when I re-apply in June. Im unsure which courses to take, these are my options:

Pulmonary Physiology

Medical Terminology

I would love to take the medical term class bc I feel like it would be very helpful but Im afraid it won't look as rigorous compared to the other courses? I can obviously only take one of the Pathophysio classes so I was thinking one of those + either the pulmonary physio or medical term class. Does the class with "intro" in the name look worse than the other ones? Which 2 courses would u recommend (also trying to get good grades so Id like to take whatever's easiest but still "looks good").
Medical terminology is not a BCPM course and won't impress med school adcomms. Stick to the hard science classes. It's a good idea to understand normal physiology before proceeding to pathology. Taking an Intro to Path class is fine.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I’d recommend med term for a less-than-optimistic reason… should you fail to gain a medical school acceptance and change to a Plan B such as PA school, a lot of the other healthcare fields require med term as a prerequisite.

Cards and Pulm are pretty difficult IMO. Human disease is super interesting, you might have more fun with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Pulmonary Physiology

Medical Terminology

Post-bacc BCPM courses, taken while you are working, and doing well in the BCPM courses, may provide stronger evidence of your potential to succeed as a medical student. That's what "looks good" to many adcoms.