Post bacc (formal vs DIY) or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingdong28

Funny as hell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, never posted in this forum before. I need some advice and hope all of you fine people can help as I'm trying to plan ahead.

First gen college student, graduated HS in 2011. Did only 2 years of full-time college as a chem major without the intention of ever pursuing medicine (didn't think I was smart enough/wasn't interested at the time). I was leaning more towards a MS in chemistry and working in the lab/had no idea what I truly wanted back then. I joined the Air Force and have been a med lab tech (ASCP) with the Air Force and working for 4 years now while completing my BS. I took the prerequisites 6 - 7 years ago with the exception of physics 2 which I retook last summer.

My estimated cgpa is 2.91 and sgpa is somewhere in the 2.7x range. I've completed 107 credits and still need to take another 17, 15 of which can bring my cgpa up to 3.07 (if all As). One issue I have is that my school transferred some of my military credit (by some I mean 80 credits) which I'm not sure how that will be factored into my gpa. I didn't receive any actual numerical score (A, B, C, etc.) but rather an S (satisfactory) for passing but I assume it'll be astronomically harder to raise it. Will this affect my future AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa?

Given my circumstances, should I do a post bacc and completely redo all of the prerequisites? I'm more in favor of doing a post bacc for retaking all of the classes relevant for the MCAT and to prove the student I was 7 years ago is not me any longer. I was also thinking about doing a DIY post bacc at the CC right around the corner from my apartment. Obviously price is a huge variable but the CC is minutes from my apartment vs 35 minutes at 4 year university. I am the bread winner in my apartmenthold and support my girlfriend and 3 cats, plus family from afar (dad declared bankruptcy and have supported him). I'm thinking of attending CC for financial reasons and it being very close to my apartment (again, financial gain). I'd like to be fully prepared when I take the MCAT, hence why I'm thinking I should do a post bacc. My only other option is doing a medical masters (ex. EVMS, VCU, etc.) or SMP. I currently reside in OH and DO NOT want to residency but am willing to do whatever it takes to gain an acceptance. I've definitely considered Cinci and Toledo's graduate programs. I'm not in favor of doing an SMP yet since I haven't taken the MCAT (see bold above).

What do you think? Which plan seems like the most sound way to go about this? I'd like to bring up any/all information to my pre-med advisor when she comes back from maternity leave. Sorry for making this so long (that's what he/she said?).

tl;dr my gpa sucks, I have a lot of credits, I took the prerequisites many moons ago, post bacc (diy for my financial reasons vs formal?) or smp?

If needed, my ECs are:
Military, supervisor of the lab at my reserve unit (6 year contract, served 5/6)
Full-time lab experience in various hospitals/trauma centers (>8000 hours) with phlebotomy
Hospice volunteer (on-going)
Team RWB volunteer (on-going)
Shadowed 2 anesthesiologists, emergency physician, and a vascular surgeon (100 hours)

Members don't see this ad.

You'll see/hear this alot in the SDN forums, but you will need to show that your poor grades are your past. I had a similar story to yourself, had a 2.5ish gpa after 5 years of undergrad. went and got a masters in physiology with a 3.5, then did another 30 credits of post bac with straight As. it's not easy, but it works if you can show that you are a changed student. You need to take a deep, long look at what caused you academic struggles and then setup a path that will ensure you get STRAIGHT As. that is the only way you will succeed. Don't settle for anything else. You can achieve the dream, but it will take you alot more time so make sure this is the path you want to walk before embarking on this 3-5 year remake of yourself before medical school.

You'll see/hear this alot in the SDN forums, but you will need to show that your poor grades are your past. I had a similar story to yourself, had a 2.5ish gpa after 5 years of undergrad. went and got a masters in physiology with a 3.5, then did another 30 credits of post bac with straight As. it's not easy, but it works if you can show that you are a changed student. You need to take a deep, long look at what caused you academic struggles and then setup a path that will ensure you get STRAIGHT As. that is the only way you will succeed. Don't settle for anything else. You can achieve the dream, but it will take you alot more time so make sure this is the path you want to walk before embarking on this 3-5 year remake of yourself before medical school.
Hello there! May I ask, did you do your DIY post-bacc at a local community college, after your SMP? CONGRATS, by the way!! :)