Oct 2, 2013
A cold place
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hey all,

So I've really been trying to decide on applying into medical school straight away, or perhaps doing a post bacc. I am a senior at a state school, and my stats are okay. Not great, not bad. I have yet to take the mcat, and I tend to do well on standardized tests and such. However, because it is the mcat I am certainly not going to assume anything about what my score will be.

So, I just don't want to feel as if I am settling for less if I just apply straight into Low tier schools, so does anyone have any good suggestions for post bacc programs that could help enhance my gpa, and maybe even some more research?

I live in the northeast, but I would be willing to go else where if it's good.

If this post has a better locations please let me know, or if there is a thread already with this information id appreciate being sent there.

Thanks everyone.

A.

Yojimbo_OGT

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I've gathered on SDN, post-baccs are great for non-trads and applicants with a cGPA or sGPA below a 3.50, but this doesn't mean that doing post-bacc work is solely for GPA boosting. Depending on what school you attend, you can also get amazing research and shadowing opportunities. Plus, some of the courses offered (say, at WashU where I'm attending) borrow heavily from first-year medical school curriculum.

The cons: tuition and tangible results. At most places, you'll only earn a certificate at the end of the year, which comes at the cost of steep tuition.

It's hard to gauge what advice you should receive, because you aren't providing any stats and you haven't taken the MCAT. Depending on your specific situation, a SMP could be beneficial, but I would recommend pursuing a simple post-bacc if you truly are "okay. Not great, not bad."

Final note - if you are a senior who hasn't taken the MCAT, then look forward to at least one gap year. You need to take your MCAT before heavily considering what your next step in academics will be.

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am a senior at a state school, and my stats are okay. Not great, not bad. .
You are going to have to give specifics if you want to get advice that is specific to your situation.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
How not bad is "not bad"??????

The median GPA for MD school acceptees is 3.7.

Hey all,

So I've really been trying to decide on applying into medical school straight away, or perhaps doing a post bacc. I am a senior at a state school, and my stats are okay. Not great, not bad. I have yet to take the mcat, and I tend to do well on standardized tests and such. However, because it is the mcat I am certainly not going to assume anything about what my score will be.

So, I just don't want to feel as if I am settling for less if I just apply straight into Low tier schools, so does anyone have any good suggestions for post bacc programs that could help enhance my gpa, and maybe even some more research?

I live in the northeast, but I would be willing to go else where if it's good.

If this post has a better locations please let me know, or if there is a thread already with this information id appreciate being sent there.

Thanks everyone.

A.