This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a88919339

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm graduating this May and know that I probably need an academic record enhancer post bacc program to be considered a strong applicant. I'm currently looking at Georgetown SMP, BU MAMS, Brown ScM and Johns Hopkins Master of Health Science (all 1 year programs) and got accepted to Duke MBS. I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of each of these and how many of the post bacc program students actually make it to their respective med school (I read some threads and it said Duke MBS->DukeMed 7 out of 30 one year and BU MAMS accepts ~20%?).

I also haven't taken the MCAT yet but need the score to apply to the rest of these programs. However, I'm not sure if it's wise to start studying now (which is pretty late), rush through it and take the exam in May. (My advisor said she thinks I would most likely get into those based on my GPA, EC and research; just missing the MCAT right now) Thank you all so much !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BU MAMS accepts the GRE. You should check the other programs. Don't rush the MCAT. I did the BU MAMS program. They say 85% of students with a GPA greater than 3.5 in the program get into medical school (MD and DO), this statistic is over two years. Many students reapply. If you do the program, definitely seriously consider applying after you finish the program. BU MAMS is a well respected and challenging program which looks good to medical schools. MAMS coursework will prepare you for study of organ systems in medical school, and many find it to have prepared them well. Taking this time and doing research, volunteering, and shadowing all boost your application. Dr. Offner has great advice for students and is experienced in the medical school application process. You will also have an assigned advisor. How well an advisor can guide you through the program depends on the advisor; some have lots of experience some have little.

As for linkage, BU does not accept about 20% of MAMS students. Data for this is difficult to find. Some say 60% of students get interviewed about 20 are accepted. I have also seen that students in the top 10% of the class get interviews, or that BU saves about 30 seats for MAMS students. I am not sure any of these are true. They probably do not accept more than 10% of the class. The class size is about 170. And how many are interviewed/accepted definitely varies year by year. BU MAMS students are considered in a separate applicant pile which gives you an edge over the general applicant pool, but not by much and admission is still heavily dependent on how well you do in the program, your MCAT score, and of course, their judgment of your fit for the school based on holistic evaluation of your application. If you apply to the MAMS program, do not do it for the linkage.

BU MAMS accepts the GRE. You should check the other programs. Don't rush the MCAT. I did the BU MAMS program. They say 85% of students with a GPA greater than 3.5 in the program get into medical school (MD and DO), this statistic is over two years. Many students reapply. If you do the program, definitely seriously consider applying after you finish the program. BU MAMS is a well respected and challenging program which looks good to medical schools. MAMS coursework will prepare you for study of organ systems in medical school, and many find it to have prepared them well. Taking this time and doing research, volunteering, and shadowing all boost your application. Dr. Offner has great advice for students and is experienced in the medical school application process. You will also have an assigned advisor. How well an advisor can guide you through the program depends on the advisor; some have lots of experience some have little.

As for linkage, BU does not accept about 20% of MAMS students. Data for this is difficult to find. Some say 60% of students get interviewed about 20 are accepted. I have also seen that students in the top 10% of the class get interviews, or that BU saves about 30 seats for MAMS students. I am not sure any of these are true. They probably do not accept more than 10% of the class. The class size is about 170. And how many are interviewed/accepted definitely varies year by year. BU MAMS students are considered in a separate applicant pile which gives you an edge over the general applicant pool, but not by much and admission is still heavily dependent on how well you do in the program, your MCAT score, and of course, their judgment of your fit for the school based on holistic evaluation of your application. If you apply to the MAMS program, do not do it for the linkage.
HI! I am applying to the BU MAMS program now! Can I private message you? I have some questions? :)