Post-bacc student in need of advice for class scheduling/applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsRichards86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a post-bacc student and I'm planning to take the OAT in late June/early July and get my applications in soon after. Following the spring 2016 semester, I'll still need to take Anatomy, Physio, Biochem, and Micro. I'm wondering if it would be smart for me to skip taking summer classes altogether and focus on studying for the OAT and applying? Do you think schools would look down upon me still needing 4 classes and not taking any over the summer? Another pre-opto student mentioned that the 4 classes I still need will be very applicable to the first year of opto school, so having them somewhat fresh in my mind would also be helpful.

I currently have a 3.8 GPA, work in an optometry practice part-time, and also volunteer at an eye institute. So, I also wouldn't JUST be studying and applying all summer.

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would skip taking any classes over the summer and study for the OAT. You can easily complete the missing coursework in your fall 2016 semester (or split the work into the spring 2017 semester if necessary). The only reason to try and complete summer courses before applying is if you were desperate to get a slight boost in your GPA.

This is just me, but if I was missing those classes I would be worried about taking the OAT. Those are core classes for the material. Unless you've taken them before I would focus on that first!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just me, but if I was missing those classes I would be worried about taking the OAT.

How so? There is minimal emphasis on biochem, anatomy and physiology on the OAT. The microbio content isn't very difficult to learn if you've never been exposed to it.

This is just me, but if I was missing those classes I would be worried about taking the OAT. Those are core classes for the material. Unless you've taken them before I would focus on that first!

All of this material related to my classes in question would be under the Natural Sciences section, no? And that section is divided into Biology, Gen Chem, and Ochem. I'm sure having Micro and BioChem classes would give me generally more knowledge in the Bio and Ochem sections, but hopefully not stuff I can easily learn in studying for the OAT?? Am I completely off here?!

All of this material related to my classes in question would be under the Natural Sciences section, no? And that section is divided into Biology, Gen Chem, and Ochem. I'm sure having Micro and BioChem classes would give me generally more knowledge in the Bio and Ochem sections, but hopefully not stuff I can easily learn in studying for the OAT?? Am I completely off here?!

You're right. Taking classes with related material does help but it is not necessary. It just helps you skip over some things you need to study if you have already taken a class with that material. Otherwise, the concepts you need to learn are fundamental and you can learn them from scratch using a comprehensive study guide.

Like I said it was just my personal opinion! A lot of the material I learned in A&P was covered on the OAT. I wouldn't have felt comfortable trying to learn all of the information without first taking the courses, but that's how I learn!