Post Bacc v. UG Gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clippersfan88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Real quick question, what is the discrepancy between post bacc and undergraduate GPA? I graduated in May of last year without all the pre reqs done (bio minor). I have since then finished all pre reqs (5 courses) with a gpa of 4.0 over last summer, this fall/accelerated winter semester at local CCs and other state schools.

Will these past few classes effect my UG gpa, or be calculated as a stand alone Post Bacc gpa? None of these courses were part of a formal "Post Bacc Program," and all count towards finishing my biology major, which I plan to continue to do until formally accepted into medical school someday.

Thanks for any answers,

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard from adcoms on this site, MD schools look at undergrad GPA, postbac GPA, and graduate GPA separately and DO schools just look at one overall GPA. I don't know about MD schools but DO schools have your GPA for each year so at a glance, they should see an overall sGPA, cGPA and no-science GPA along with your GPA for each year.

Reactions: 1 user
This. Adcoms see the same info, but MD schools don't add pbGPA into cGPA.

From what I've heard from adcoms on this site, MD schools look at undergrad GPA, postbac GPA, and graduate GPA separately and DO schools just look at one overall GPA. I don't know about MD schools but DO schools have your GPA for each year so at a glance, they should see an overall sGPA, cGPA and no-science GPA along with your GPA for each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
This. Adcoms see the same info, but MD schools don't add pbGPA into cGPA.

The AMCAS system actually does add in pbGPA, it shows up as a cumulative ugGPA row.

The AMCAS system actually does add in pbGPA, it shows up as a cumulative ugGPA row.

So you're saying if your postbacc and your undergrad gpa combined meet the cut off, you won't be screened out of certain schools?

So you're saying if your postbacc and your undergrad gpa combined meet the cut off, you won't be screened out of certain schools?
I'm not sure how md schools combined post bac gpa with undergrad gpa for cut offs, but generally speaking, if your undergrad gpa is sub 3.0, you should focus on DO. Very tough to come back from 120+ credits of sub 3.0 and still get MD. You'd be looking at atleast 60 credits of straight A postbac courses and at 90th percentile MCAT along with URM.

Reactions: 1 user

It depends on the school on how they handle the cut off. If you combined GPA meets the cut off, they you won't be auto screened from those schools.

I'm not sure how md schools combined post bac gpa with undergrad gpa for cut offs, but generally speaking, if your undergrad gpa is sub 3.0, you should focus on DO. Very tough to come back from 120+ credits of sub 3.0 and still get MD. You'd be looking at atleast 60 credits of straight A postbac courses and at 90th percentile MCAT along with URM.

Yah, I've taken 8 classes thus far towards my DIY post bacc (around 3.7-4.0 gpa which includes science pre requisites) and currently studying of the mcat.

I'm assuming 60 credits is two full years? I'm studying in Canada so our credit system is a bit different. And I am URM but I believe I would also be considered international since I am a Canadian citizen.

Last edited:
Yah, I've taken 8 classes thus far towards my DIY post bacc (around 3.7-4.0 gpa which includes science pre requisites) and currently studying of the mcat.

I'm assuming 60 credits is two full years? I'm studying in Canada so our credit system is a bit different. And I am URM but I believe I would also be considered international since I am a Canadian citizen.
I'm not sure how the Canadian citizenship affects your chances but 60 credits worth of science A's is still going to only bump your cGPA to a 3.25. With a very strong upward trend and a very strong MCAT 516+ you would have a shot at getting MD. Do you know how many science classes you had before your postbac? Schools put more weight on sGPA so if your 60 credits of A's can get you sGPA above a 3.5, you'd have a much better shot. Realistically though you should aim for DO. Even if you do everything right (60 postbac credits at 3.9, 517+MCAT, URM, tons of life experience) you still might not be able to overcome that sub 3.0 undergradGPA and get into MD. DO schools put less emphesise on old coursework and it's not uncommon to have a student with a 3.0 undergrad and a 3.8 post bac get multiple interviews.

Not exactly true...OP see: https://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?posts/18544420/ See the post with links from holdthemayo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a field on apps that calculates post bac science gpa ? Cause that 3.93 would really feel good to see. :)