Post-grad requirements for UK schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lethe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Sorry for a probably simple question but the only answers I have found online are out-dated and not exactly the same situation as mine.

I am currently a EU citizen living in the US. I have completed a bachelors and a masters in neuroscience in the US. Moral of the story, I would like to study and practice medicine closer to home, and the UK is my current top option. Given my background, am I still expected to have the high school level examinations like IB/A-levels?

Thank you so much, and if you feel in the mood to throw in any extra advice/tips you have my deepest gratitude.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
Sorry for a probably simple question but the only answers I have found online are out-dated and not exactly the same situation as mine.

I am currently a EU citizen living in the US. I have completed a bachelors and a masters in neuroscience in the US. Moral of the story, I would like to study and practice medicine closer to home, and the UK is my current top option. Given my background, am I still expected to have the high school level examinations like IB/A-levels?

Thank you so much, and if you feel in the mood to throw in any extra advice/tips you have my deepest gratitude.

No. You can apply with US qualifications. You'll be applying as an international I believe at least for fee purposes, because you need to have lived in the EU for the last 3 years to qualify for EU fees. There are quotas on internationals so it may not be easy at all.

Thank you, that really puts a lot of doubt to rest. It appears I'll never be able to shed my international status no matter where I decide to apply, but at least I have a chance. Thanks so much!

I understand your question because I found myself in the same situation (0r similar) being a EU citizen with residency training in the US and planning to continue my career in the UK - well, I made it!
Having completed a Bachelor's and a Master in neuroscience in the States, you should be able to skip IB/A-levels. As a EU citizen, a EU high school diploma should take you straight to med school in the UK (plus you have done Bachelor's and MSc outside EU which should be recognised here in the UK - that should count too!). Good luck!