Post-grad requirements for UK schools

Started by Lethe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lethe

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
Sorry for a probably simple question but the only answers I have found online are out-dated and not exactly the same situation as mine.

I am currently a EU citizen living in the US. I have completed a bachelors and a masters in neuroscience in the US. Moral of the story, I would like to study and practice medicine closer to home, and the UK is my current top option. Given my background, am I still expected to have the high school level examinations like IB/A-levels?

Thank you so much, and if you feel in the mood to throw in any extra advice/tips you have my deepest gratitude.


 
Hello everyone,
Sorry for a probably simple question but the only answers I have found online are out-dated and not exactly the same situation as mine.

I am currently a EU citizen living in the US. I have completed a bachelors and a masters in neuroscience in the US. Moral of the story, I would like to study and practice medicine closer to home, and the UK is my current top option. Given my background, am I still expected to have the high school level examinations like IB/A-levels?

Thank you so much, and if you feel in the mood to throw in any extra advice/tips you have my deepest gratitude.

No. You can apply with US qualifications. You'll be applying as an international I believe at least for fee purposes, because you need to have lived in the EU for the last 3 years to qualify for EU fees. There are quotas on internationals so it may not be easy at all.
 
Thank you, that really puts a lot of doubt to rest. It appears I'll never be able to shed my international status no matter where I decide to apply, but at least I have a chance. Thanks so much!
 
I understand your question because I found myself in the same situation (0r similar) being a EU citizen with residency training in the US and planning to continue my career in the UK - well, I made it!
Having completed a Bachelor's and a Master in neuroscience in the States, you should be able to skip IB/A-levels. As a EU citizen, a EU high school diploma should take you straight to med school in the UK (plus you have done Bachelor's and MSc outside EU which should be recognised here in the UK - that should count too!). Good luck!