post-interview contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old_boy

Contrarian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that rank lists are open, I have three questions for current or past applicants:

1) How do you plan to / how did you respond to contact from PDs expressing interest in you?

2) Do you plan on initiating / did you initiate contact with your top program(s) letting them know where they stand?

3) Are you asking / did you ask anyone to make calls on your behalf?

I'll go first.

1) "I really liked your program too for x y and z reasons and plan on ranking you highly" or a variation on this theme. I figure I'll say "plan on ranking you highly" if the program is in my top half or so.

2) I plan on emailing the PD of my top choice at some point and letting them know. I'm on the fence about #s 2-3, as all it seems to say is "I will not be ranking you #1"

3) No.

Would also be interested as to people's thoughts on my plan.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't see how contacting them and telling them #1 makes a difference on the program's part. They will rank you where they want regardless of what you tell them. And I'll rank them regardless of what they tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some program directors are happy to know that an individual applicant would be happy at the program and found the program to be a good fit. Such communication won't take you from the bottom of the list to the top, but it may play a role where multiple candidates are otherwise roughly evenly evaluated by a program. Also, I think that this is true mostly when an applicant conveys to a program that he/she will rank them #1. #2 or 3 or anything else just means not 1 and likely does nothing for the applicant.

man, i'm also not sure if i'm going to contact my top choice or not. part of me really wants to but i also think it could be soul crushing if i say "you're my number 1" and their response is like "um, ok, thanks" and nothing to suggest that they were returning the love.

Now that rank lists are open, I have three questions for current or past applicants:

1) How do you plan to / how did you respond to contact from PDs expressing interest in you?

2) Do you plan on initiating / did you initiate contact with your top program(s) letting them know where they stand?

3) Are you asking / did you ask anyone to make calls on your behalf?

I'll go first.

1) "I really liked your program too for x y and z reasons and plan on ranking you highly" or a variation on this theme. I figure I'll say "plan on ranking you highly" if the program is in my top half or so.

2) I plan on emailing the PD of my top choice at some point and letting them know. I'm on the fence about #s 2-3, as all it seems to say is "I will not be ranking you #1"

3) No.

Would also be interested as to people's thoughts on my plan.

Any thoughts on having people from other departments in the hospital make a call? I'm worried that it might seem too pushy, and that the PD might resent it.

Any thoughts on having people from other departments in the hospital make a call? I'm worried that it might seem too pushy, and that the PD might resent it.

I'm not sure how that could help - doubt it'll carry much sway since it's not an EM person.

I think it's risky to ask the PD at your home program to make calls on your behalf and unless you're confident that they know you well, like you and will advocate strongly for you than I don't think it's worth it. It's also awkward if you're also applying to your home program. Personally, I'm not going to ask my PD but I imagine it could really help you stand out from the crowd in some instances.

First off, you should neither directly tell a program director where they stand on your list nor should you expect the PD to tip his or her hand in regard to where you will fall on the rank list. This just amounts to tap dancing, because everything is off the record and can't be depended upon as gospel when making your link list anyway.

The whole point of contacting a program that you're interested in is to let them know that you like the place and intended to rank them. If somebody interviews with me and I don't hear from them, the implication is that they either could not have good experience or are not interested for some other reason. Compared to an applicant of equal footing who puts out some sort of feelers, whether by direct contact, thank you note, returning for a "second look" or a combination of the three is likely to be ranked higher than the previously mentioned applicant. There is no point in ranking somebody with little interest in your program highly, because this will just make you go further down your rank list, which is undesirable for a variety of reasons including pride.

There is more than one way both to handle the application process and to skin a cat, but in the midst of this very impersonal process, a bit of a personal touch never hurts.

I really don't see how contacting them and telling them #1 makes a difference on the program's part. They will rank you where they want regardless of what you tell them. And I'll rank them regardless of what they tell me.

First off, you should neither directly tell a program director where they stand on your list nor should you expect the PD to tip his or her hand in regard to where you will fall on the rank list. This just amounts to tap dancing, because everything is off the record and can't be depended upon as gospel when making your link list anyway.

The whole point of contacting a program that you're interested in is to let them know that you like the place and intended to rank them. If somebody interviews with me and I don't hear from them, the implication is that they either could not have good experience or are not interested for some other reason. Compared to an applicant of equal footing who puts out some sort of feelers, whether by direct contact, thank you note, returning for a "second look" or a combination of the three is likely to be ranked higher than the previously mentioned applicant. There is no point in ranking somebody with little interest in your program highly, because this will just make you go further down your rank list, which is undesirable for a variety of reasons including pride.

There is more than one way both to handle the application process and to skin a cat, but in the midst of this very impersonal process, a bit of a personal touch never hurts.

I was just planning on writing thank you notes to the PDs and a personal email to my top few or so. Should thank you notes be written to EVERYONE we interviewed with?

I was just planning on writing thank you notes to the PDs and a personal email to my top few or so. Should thank you notes be written to EVERYONE we interviewed with?

I've written a short thank you note to everyone who interviewed me, gave the applicants a tour, and the coordinators at the programs. Most of my classmates and people I met on the trail did likewise. That seems to be pretty standard.

The emails/love letters to top programs... people say different things. Our college encourages us to write an email full of love to our #1 program. I don't know about the #2 and down though. I will probably send something to my #2 too though, since my #1 and #2 are pretty close.

In my thank you notes I told all the programs in the top half of my list that they are one of my top choices. Anyone see anything wrong with doing this? I plan to only contact through email the PDs of my top one or two.

if I do send a love letter, when is the best time to do it? when do programs begin making their ROL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it against any rule to tell a program clearly that they are your number 1 choice?

Programs are not allowed to ask you where you'll rank them, but you're free to offer them any information you'd like.

But keep in mind that it's against the rules to mislead the program about where you will rank them, so only tell your actual #1 program that they are #1.

No, its not against the rules. Its just unethical and could cause your problems down the road when you try to seek jobs/fellowships if they remember you lied to them.

The NMRP forbids verbal contracts (you rank us 1, we'll rank you 1) and technically forbids inaccurate or misleading information but that is in reference to the application/interviews. I doubt they would come at you for telling multiple programs you are number 1. (in fact, their own FAQs mention that it happens every year - programs mislead applicants and visa versa)

Everyone misleads everyone in this process. Its a lame game.

I like the post-interview contact from the programs. Its very flattering (even though I realize you can't trust it all).

Just got a hat in the mail from a program I applied to. Its a pretty nice hat.

But I agree that in theory we would all be better off if we stayed silent and didn't play the game. But life isn't perfect.

Would it be in one's best interest to ever say a place is their #1 and leave it at that? If you are completely honest about a spot, would there be a benefit to contacting the PD or would that put you in a vulnerable position?

I like the post-interview contact from the programs. Its very flattering (even though I realize you can't trust it all).

But I agree that in theory we would all be better off if we stayed silent and didn't play the game. But life isn't perfect.

Wow, what program was giving out hats?! Sounds awesome!

What kind of hat was it?

I've had only one place send me an email saying I was their top choice but haven't heard much else. Anyone else?

I told my top choice that they are my #1. I asked the chief resident who I am friends with and he recommended me doing so but he said I shouldn't expect a reply from the PD.

One program sent me a singing clown, showed up at my door and everything. A little creepy.

Really?

No, not really. But that's what I'd do with all this coin.

No, its not against the rules. Its just unethical and could cause your problems down the road when you try to seek jobs/fellowships if they remember you lied to them.

The NMRP forbids verbal contracts (you rank us 1, we'll rank you 1) and technically forbids inaccurate or misleading information but that is in reference to the application/interviews. I doubt they would come at you for telling multiple programs you are number 1. (in fact, their own FAQs mention that it happens every year - programs mislead applicants and visa versa)

Everyone misleads everyone in this process. Its a lame game.

Last edited: