Post interview letter of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spottedcory

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several of the schools I interviewed at are needy schools. They accept letters of interest, and they also encouraged them multiple times at the interview day and after (through current students I spoke with). However, I don't have substansive updates, and worry that I might not have more to update them on if I send a letter now and get waitlisted. But I do LOVE the location/student body/everything of these schools and feel that I didn't get enough time/space in my interview or secondary for me to tell them how much I like them. I have very specific points about the schools that tie into my application theme that I can bring up and I'll definitely get multiple readers to read my letter. Should I send a letter of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several of the schools I interviewed at are needy schools. They accept letters of interest, and they also encouraged them multiple times at the interview day and after (through current students I spoke with). However, I don't have substansive updates, and worry that I might not have more to update them on if I send a letter now and get waitlisted. But I do LOVE the location/student body/everything of these schools and feel that I didn't get enough time/space in my interview or secondary for me to tell them how much I like them. I have very specific points about the schools that tie into my application theme that I can bring up and I'll definitely get multiple readers to read my letter. Should I send a letter of interest?
Not an answer to your question, but just curious - how do you define needy schools? If they were in need of your skills, they would have given you an A by now (assuming they do rolling). Right?

Not an answer to your question, but just curious - how do you define needy schools? If they were in need of your skills, they would have given you an A by now (assuming they do rolling). Right?
You're misunderstanding. Needy here means needing to have their applicants grovel by actively soliciting LOIs, NOT needing people to fill a class!
:cool:

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of schools don't accept updates, some schools accept updates, and then there are the schools that really want updates and want you to keep telling them that you like them. You can kind of get the vibe on interview day imo but I think Jeff for example is one of these needy schools

Reactions: 1 users
You're misunderstanding. Needy here means needing to have their applicants grovel by actively soliciting LOIs, NOT needing people to fill a class!
:cool:

A lot of schools don't accept updates, some schools accept updates, and then there are the schools that really want updates and want you to keep telling them that you like them. You can kind of get the vibe on interview day imo but I think Jeff for example is one of these needy schools
Ah I see

Is there a list of schools that fit this category (besides Jeff)?

Gtown
Mayo
U Penn
In case you want to keep this list updated, this cycle at least Penn did not ask for or encourage LOIs. I did not apply to Gtown or Mayo (I can totally understand not wanting to go to Mayo given the locations tho lol...).

Also, I'm very surprised Penn would ask for LOIs? Why WOULDN'T someone want to go to Penn o_O...?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In case you want to keep this list updated, this cycle at least Penn did not ask for or encourage LOIs. I did not apply to Gtown or Mayo (I can totally understand not wanting to go to Mayo given the locations tho lol...).

Also, I'm very surprised Penn would ask for LOIs? Why WOULDN'T someone want to go to Penn o_O...?

Who knows? Maybe they're paranoid about losing people to Harvard or NYU?

WashU and Vanderbilt both highly encouraged letters of interest after their interview this year.

Reactions: 1 user