Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Post-Interview Thank You Notes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pirat8505, Dec 21, 2005.

1. pirat8505

pirat8505 New Member

Hey guys,
    should the thank-you notes sent to the interviewers after the interview be done via email or regular mail? How important is it to sent these thank you notes? Are they mendatory?
    Thanks

2. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

There have been quite a few of these posts, if you use the search option I am sure you can find some threads with good answers to this question!

All I can do is speak from experience - I sent letters in the mail, not an email, they are not mandatory, just polite - some people do them, others do not! Up to you, really! I think some people send emails, who knows, do what YOU feel is right for you, your situation and what is the best fit for the person who interviewed you.

3. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think it would be nice, but I don't believe it's mandatory. Just another thing to put in your good ol' file. I'm sure they'd appreciate the thought, though.

4. OddNath

OddNath Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I really doubt it matters-- I generally only thanked interviewers *after* I got in-- like, "hey, I really enjoyed talking to you, see you again when I visit".

So don't worry about it. Email is probably fine, too.

5. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

To add another twist,

do interviewers ever reply to email thank you notes?

6. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually never thought of thank you letters, and I got into all the schools at which I interviewed (although maybe if I had I wouldn't have been waitlisted till July...) If I did it all over, I would send letters, by snail mail. If I really thought ahead, I would bring thank you notes/cards and write them immediately after the interview, briefly mentioning an interesting topic that we focused on, and give it to the secretary or even mail it before I left town.

sscooterguy

7. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I got a thank you email for my thank you letter! They do read them and apparently they do appreciate them!

8. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

has this happened with every interviewer?

I only ask because I sent an email thank u to an interviewer who was very encouraging about contacting him via email, but he never replied so I have been wondering if he received it

9. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I wrote a thank you e-mail to the dean of a school that I interviewed at. Not only did they respond, but also said my high praise of the school would be mentioned to the other adcom members during their meeting later on this week. Hope its a good thing!

10. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wrote thank you letters, sent them via snail mail the same week the committee was supposed to meet, and viola!!! I got in!!!!! Who knows, letters could have gave me an advantage or not at all. But it surely doesn't hurt ya :thumbup:

11. Laur

Laur Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've just been sending thank you emails. All my interviewers, so far, have responded.

12. rito

rito New Member

I sent a thank you email and recieved a reply that afternoon that included an acceptance :)

13. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My interviewer at Rush actually told me not to send a thank you note. He said that he gets a ton of them and they all same the same thing and he never actually reads them. BAHA