Post-Interview Thank You Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirat8505

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
should the thank-you notes sent to the interviewers after the interview be done via email or regular mail? How important is it to sent these thank you notes? Are they mendatory?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pirat8505 said:
Hey guys,
should the thank-you notes sent to the interviewers after the interview be done via email or regular mail? How important is it to sent these thank you notes? Are they mendatory?
Thanks

There have been quite a few of these posts, if you use the search option I am sure you can find some threads with good answers to this question!

All I can do is speak from experience - I sent letters in the mail, not an email, they are not mandatory, just polite - some people do them, others do not! Up to you, really! I think some people send emails, who knows, do what YOU feel is right for you, your situation and what is the best fit for the person who interviewed you.

I think it would be nice, but I don't believe it's mandatory. Just another thing to put in your good ol' file. I'm sure they'd appreciate the thought, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
pirat8505 said:
Hey guys,
Thanks

I really doubt it matters-- I generally only thanked interviewers *after* I got in-- like, "hey, I really enjoyed talking to you, see you again when I visit".

So don't worry about it. Email is probably fine, too.

To add another twist,

do interviewers ever reply to email thank you notes?

I actually never thought of thank you letters, and I got into all the schools at which I interviewed (although maybe if I had I wouldn't have been waitlisted till July...) If I did it all over, I would send letters, by snail mail. If I really thought ahead, I would bring thank you notes/cards and write them immediately after the interview, briefly mentioning an interesting topic that we focused on, and give it to the secretary or even mail it before I left town.

sscooterguy

medhacker said:
To add another twist,

I got a thank you email for my thank you letter! They do read them and apparently they do appreciate them!

TimmyTheWonderD said:
I got a thank you email for my thank you letter! They do read them and apparently they do appreciate them!

has this happened with every interviewer?

I only ask because I sent an email thank u to an interviewer who was very encouraging about contacting him via email, but he never replied so I have been wondering if he received it

medhacker said:
has this happened with every interviewer?

I only ask because I sent an email thank u to an interviewer who was very encouraging about contacting him via email, but he never replied so I have been wondering if he received it

I wrote a thank you e-mail to the dean of a school that I interviewed at. Not only did they respond, but also said my high praise of the school would be mentioned to the other adcom members during their meeting later on this week. Hope its a good thing!

I wrote thank you letters, sent them via snail mail the same week the committee was supposed to meet, and viola!!! I got in!!!!! Who knows, letters could have gave me an advantage or not at all. But it surely doesn't hurt ya :thumbup:

I've just been sending thank you emails. All my interviewers, so far, have responded.

medhacker said:
To add another twist,

I sent a thank you email and recieved a reply that afternoon that included an acceptance :)

My interviewer at Rush actually told me not to send a thank you note. He said that he gets a ton of them and they all same the same thing and he never actually reads them. BAHA