Post-Interview Thank You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChaiTown786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just had my first interview yesterday, and it was a great experience. Loved the school, and I was wondering if we are supposed to send a thank-you email to our interviewers? Should I do it, or will it look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by an admissions secretary that it would be in my best interest to write thank yous... so I wrote thank yous:cool:

always, always, always, write thank yous. Even if it doesn't help you get accepted, it is a decent thing to do. I have sent all of my thank yous via e-mail, which has been great because it has enabled me to open dialogue with some of my interviewers. I also prefer e-mail becuase I will still be fresh in the interviewer's mind when he/she recieves it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you send them to the interviewers, or the admissions dept, or all of the above? If mailing, do you send them all to the admissions office, because I don't have addresses to the faculty who have interviewed me?

And, do each of the interviewers give you their names and emails or do you need to ask for them. That seems kind of contrived, but I want to follow interview ettiquette also.

Do you send them to the interviewers, or the admissions dept, or all of the above? If mailing, do you send them all to the admissions office, because I don't have addresses to the faculty who have interviewed me?

Send them to whoever was significant during your interview day...interviewers, admissions directors, students who were a part of you day...whoever. Emails are almost always online. If theirs isnt specifically, most school emails follow the same formula...some variation of their name/[email protected]. Some offices addresses can usually be found online...if not just address it to the school. Calling and asking is always a good bet too.

And, do each of the interviewers give you their names and emails or do you need to ask for them. That seems kind of contrived, but I want to follow interview ettiquette also.

I would think most schools would give you their names. I have gotten them so far and used deduction as I mentioned above to get their emails/mailing address. Again...whats the harm in calling. If you dont offer up your name to whoever is on the phone I have found they dont ask unless it is specifically about your application.

As to whether or not to send thank yous...I have always been told to and what is the worst that can come of it. Your note gets tossed in the trash or deleted...oh well. But maybe it brings a smile to their face, a nod of appreciation, or helps them remember something they liked about you...never a bad thing.

I made sure I remembered the names of my interviewers, and when I got home it was simple to look their emails/addresses online under the faculty directories. I sent my cards by mail, I kind of like getting something handwritten myself, but I don't think it matters much. As long as you remember the names, google will find them. :p I genuinely appreciated my interviewers and how nice they were, so thank yous just seemed natural.

I made sure I remembered the names of my interviewers, and when I got home it was simple to look their emails/addresses online under the faculty directories. I sent my cards by mail, I kind of like getting something handwritten myself, but I don't think it matters much. As long as you remember the names, google will find them. :p I genuinely appreciated my interviewers and how nice they were, so thank yous just seemed natural.
Seems a little compulsive I know, but I took "Thank You" cards with me on interview day. I wrote out the test, the address on the envelope (less the name), affixed postage, etc. beforehand. When I exited the campus after the interview, I filled in the name and whatever else ws missing while fresh in my mind. I then drove to the nearest post office and mailed them in the same town where I interviewed. The task was done without delay and delivery was the next day.

I think it is the right thing to do as a social grace because interviewing is not their primary duty and I appreciate their time and am humbled and honored to have been invited to an interview.

Just my thoughts.

Seems a little compulsive I know, but I took "Thank You" cards with me on interview day. I wrote out the test, the address on the envelope (less the name), affixed postage, etc. beforehand. When I exited the campus after the interview, I filled in the name and whatever else ws missing while fresh in my mind. I then drove to the nearest post office and mailed them in the same town where I interviewed. The task was done without delay and delivery was the next day.

I think it is the right thing to do as a social grace because interviewing is not their primary duty and I appreciate their time and am humbled and honored to have been invited to an interview.

Just my thoughts.

That's super duper slick. Definitely made an impression.