Post-Interview - That Sinking Feeling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just had my interview recently at a state school, and both interviews were scheduled to be 1 hr each. Problem is that I talked to both doctors for about 45-50 mins each.

I'm scared I asked too many questions. The interview was more like a conversation and I got caught up asking follow up questions b/c I was interested in hearing the doc's stories. I felt like I connected to both interviewers b/c they had similar interests/hobbies.

This was the first interview day for this school. And my first interview too.

Members don't see this ad.

So just had my interview recently at a state school, and both interviews were scheduled to be 1 hr each. Problem is that I talked to both doctors for about 45-50 mins each.

I'm scared I asked too many questions. The interview was more like a conversation and I got caught up asking follow up questions b/c I was interested in hearing the doc's stories. I felt like I connected to both interviewers b/c they had similar interests/hobbies.

Wow, a conversational interview?

ur doomed

Reactions: 9 users

Most interviews are actually like this because you have already talked about your experiences at length in your app. They want to get to know the real you. So it's actually GREAT that you connected interviewer. Unless you asked really stupid questions (like how many students go here) the whole time, you are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh phew, thanks. I just read stuff on sdn about the horrors of asking 5-6 ?s = automatic rejection.

My questions were tailored to specific curriculum and student projects, as well as their involvement w/ the school as medical educators and practicing physicians.

Felt bad for taking up 50 mins of their busy schedule though.

Most interviews are actually like this because you have already talked about your experiences at length in your app. They want to get to know the real you. So it's actually GREAT that you connected interviewer. Unless you asked really stupid questions (like how many students go here) the whole time, you are fine.

I just read stuff on sdn.
First mistake is taking everything on SDN to be gospel.

Trust your gut. If you think it went well and you connected, then you probably did :)

Reactions: 1 users
Where have you seen people say that 5-6 questions = automatic rejection? I've never seen that...

Where have you seen people say that 5-6 questions = automatic rejection? I've never seen that...

I've seen it mentioned by faculty or an adcom somewhere that excessive questions shows that you can't do any research yourself. But I think that's specific to asking a bunch of questions about the school at the end.

Asking questions during a conversation is a normal part of talking to someone and is completely different.

I've seen it mentioned by faculty or an adcom somewhere that excessive questions shows that you can't do any research yourself. But I think that's specific to asking a bunch of questions about the school at the end.

Asking questions during a conversation is a normal part of talking to someone and is completely different.

Oh gotcha. I mean even at the end, I've only asked questions with answers that can't be found online, and my interviewers haven't seemed to mind.

Oh I see, thank you! Some of my interviewers couldn't answer my questions b/c they were specific (& couldn't be found online). It looks like they weren't 100% familiar with the details of the curriculum/student projects as they are not currently teaching. But they were more than happy to answer questions about their specialty/resources they are familiar with on campus.