Post-MCAT Jitters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueBee20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I took the MCAT today and had very mixed feelings throughout the day. Overall, I felt pretty okay after I was done with all of the sections. Later on, I started feeling horrible about everything - not horrible enough to void though. I'm wondering how other people felt right after taking their exams and how that correlated to their actual scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
felt like i got lower than 490 ended up doing fine. you'll probably hit around what your practice scores were, it's pretty common to feel terrible.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all - I took the MCAT today and had very mixed feelings throughout the day. Overall, I felt pretty okay after I was done with all of the sections. Later on, I started feeling horrible about everything - not horrible enough to void though. I'm wondering how other people felt right after taking their exams and how that correlated to their actual scores.
i felt like i did terribly. ended up doing better than i thought. i think you'll find that the majority of the responses you'll get will sound similar. try to relax for the next couple weeks and remember it is out of your hands now! i'm sure you did great :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's normal. This feeling will stay with you, for the most part, until you get your scores back. Unless something went really wrong, like you skipped a lot of questions or passages, you should expect to receive a score close to your aamc practice tests -like the poster above said.

Most of us who took it felt like we bombed it or did worse than our averages. I created a "worst case scenario," "disaster," "probable," and "completely unexpected," score breakdown based on how I felt I did. All of my assumptions were wrong and I got the same score as my AAMC practice results. So keep that in my mind as you make doomsday scenarios based on your post-exam feelings.

Reactions: 3 users
Spent the entire time they give you to decide on voiding or submitting. I thought I did horribly in psych/sociology. Said a prayer, submitted, and did so much better than I thought.

Good luck, then next month ain't gonna be nice, but when you finally get that score there's no better feeling

I felt similarly to the previous posters - had done well on the practice tests, felt like I completely bombed the actual test. Was all ready to sign up to retake then I got my score back and did as well as the practice tests. There's really so much beyond your control that you can't adequately analyze your performance accurately; if you thought it was really hard, the odds are that other people did, too, and there was a larger-than usual scale. So try and relax until you get your scores back (though I know that's tough).

Ask yourself this...Did I do my best?

Answer: No
SHAME. Always do your best. You have room to feel disappointed, sad, or mad for a couple days. Then let it go, there are more chances, life goes on, the picture is bigger than its smallest details. Retake if you aren't satisfied with your score.

Answer: Yes
Be proud of the work/effort you put in. If you did your best, then that's all you can ever ask of yourself. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hope you were pleasantly surprised when you got your scores back and did better than you felt.

Ask yourself this...Did I do my best?

Answer: No
SHAME. Always do your best. You have room to feel disappointed, sad, or mad for a couple days. Then let it go, there are more chances, life goes on, the picture is bigger than its smallest details. Retake if you aren't satisfied with your score.

Answer: Yes
Be proud of the work/effort you put in. If you did your best, then that's all you can ever ask of yourself. :)
Then wait for your score....if you did poorly, re-evaluate how you prepared for the exam and what you can do better for the next time.

OP - I feeel you. I took it last week. I was panicking afterwards and with some of my best friends. Took their advice which was to chill the f*ck out b/c there's nothing you can do about it now. Most people feel like it went awful and end up with scores that aren't horrid. Take it easy bruh

I took it twice. Felt like s**t both times.

The curve is usually MUCH more generous. I know for sure that I got 20 or more wrong on all sections after I went home and checked and came up with a score around my AAMC FL's. Trust your practice scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
"It's finally over," I thought to myself. Months of studying, of skipping the gym to do another chapter of content review, of sitting in my desk next to an apartment mate who spent his own summer on Overwatch, it's all over. Staring back at me now is no longer a question about fragmentation predictions of mass spec. compounds but an even harder choice: "Submit" or "Omit".

I began to ponde- f##k it *clicks submit*

Exactly what went through my head.

Reactions: 2 users
"It's finally over," I thought to myself. Months of studying, of skipping the gym to do another chapter of content review, of sitting in my desk next to an apartment mate who spent his own summer on Overwatch, it's all over. Staring back at me now is no longer a question about fragmentation predictions of mass spec. compounds but an even harder choice: "Submit" or "Omit".

I began to ponde- f##k it *clicks submit*

Exactly what went through my head.
Damn, I wish my internal dialogue was just uninterrupted literary nonfiction.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I do have a quick question. I'm assuming this is basically like the Star Fleet academy exam. When can I expect the ventilation pipe to fall on an old man in some sort of ethics test? Is that before, after, or during the interviews? Thanks!

Man, I completely screwed up the bio section by getting stuck on one question, trying to answer only the incomplete questions, then nearly running out of time. I could easily count at least three if not four guaranteed wrong questions in just that section. I was so bummed. Got a 132 in that section, so you never know ...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hope you were pleasantly surprised when you got your scores back and did better than you felt.
I was pleasantly SHOCKED with my results. 4 points higher than my last practice score!

Reactions: 8 users

Lol this was so me. And so totally typical/normal. There is literally nothing you can do, and there is very little correlation between how you feel and what your actual score is. I'm speaking from both personal experience and the excessive amount of googling I did after my exam on this exact topic.

EDIT: oops just realized this was a revived thread. Happy for you!

Walking out of the 6/16 test, I felt absolutely terrible. I thought I bombed the P/S section, there was so much random sociology and too many 50/50s. I was willing to bet money that I scored ~126. Ended up with a 131 (99th percentile) on P/S and my overall score was exactly the same as my AAMC FL 1 and 2 scores.

Point is, my feelings did not correlate with how I did. My advice to you is to try your best to get your mind off the test (easier said than done, I know). What's done is done.