****Post your First Choice Dental school Here****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistQiQi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy,

Let us have some fun! Dream about the people we can be...

Here, post your first choice school here, your stats and, your experience.

You know we should all have a dream, what if there is a what-if....

Members don't see this ad.

Top Choices:
- VCU, NYUCD, UoP, Penn (Couldn't pick just one school....)

GPA: 3.35 oGPA 3.32 sGPA (3.40 formal grad post-bacc)
DAT: 23AA 24TS 20PAT
Experience:
- Dental Assisting 2000+ hours
- Research with Thesis (current M.S. student)
- some other stuff too including club activities and other volunteering experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
First and second choices:
UW and OHSU

GPA: 3.84
DAT TS: 21 PAT: 22
Experience: Dental assistant, X-Ray certified, plenty of volunteer, leadership experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Utah!

UCLA or UCSF.

Last edited:
UCLA or UCSF. I wish UCSD had a dental school. Go Tritons!
I have a few colleague graduate from UCSD, it is a good school. I assume if UCSD have a dental school, there may be too many dental schools in California....I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few colleague graduate from UCSD, it is a good school. I assume if UCSD have a dental school, there may be too many dental schools in California....I could be wrong.
Most likely, but I love the atmosphere so much that it'd be awesome to stay.

Last edited:
IUSD, tOSU, Michigan.

GPA: 3.74 cumu, sci, and BCP

DAT: 21AA 21TS 19PAT
Leadership, school research, Industrial chem. R&D internship.

Did you apply to Roseman? I went to their dental simulation course in June of 2015. It's such a fantastic school and miles ahead of Western.
Yes I did! I hear it's an awesome school it's just..twice as expensive as the U.

MWU-IL is my top as of now, UDM, and probably UNC.

GPA: 3.7o, 3.45s
DAT: 19AA, 18PAT, 19TS, 23 RC
EC's: research, volunteering, TA, RA, shadowing, worked 4000 hours, lab assistant, orthodontics clinical assistant, fraternity (3 leadership positions).

MWU-IL is my top as of now, UDM, and probably UNC.

GPA: 3.7o, 3.45s
DAT: 19AA, 18PAT, 19TS, 23 RC
EC's: research, volunteering, TA, RA, shadowing, worked 4000 hours, lab assistant, orthodontics clinical assistant, fraternity (3 leadership positions).

But your name is buckeye4lyfe!!! That should include OSU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Top choice:
UCSF and I wish UC Berkeley had a dental school. Go Bears!

Stats:
21AA 23RC 22OC 22GC 19Bio 17QR 20PAT
3.92ogpa 4.oo science
4000+ volunteer/ service hours, TA/Tutor Gen chem for the Dean of the college of Math and Sciences. 200 shadowing hours.

Illinois-Chicago. It seems like I never hear about it, so I guess there aren't many Illinois residents on here.

Also hoping to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship. I'm sending my Navy application out September 1st!

The University of Utah! My state school and the alma mater of my family since 1850. It's everything I want in a school :)

25AA 3.98 GPA.
~400 shadowing hours, many volunteer hours, leadership experiences, and research.

Ideally probably Michigan or UDM since it is close to family, but I think Oregon or UNC would be awesome.
without +/- sGPA 3.78 GPA 3.85
with +/- sGPA 3.74 GPA 3.80
DAT: 20 AA 19 TS 19 PAT 23 RC 18 QR 17 BIO 19 OC 21 GC
108 hrs shadowing, about 60 hrs of volunteering
full ride when transferred as division 1 soccer player; captain of division 3 soccer team and captain of semi-pro soccer team
Residency: MI

Really hoping the 17 in BIO doesn't kill my chances because I didn't get the chance to study for that section.

Illinois-Chicago. It seems like I never hear about it, so I guess there aren't many Illinois residents on here.

Also hoping to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship. I'm sending my Navy application out September 1st!

Have you already started your application for the Navy HPSP? I am planning on applying for it as well. I just contacted my recruiter last week.

Have you already started your application for the Navy HPSP? I am planning on applying for it as well. I just contacted my recruiter last week.
I'm all done with my application. At this point I'm just waiting for my recruiter to send it once the cycle opens in a month. It's a long process though.

The University of Utah! My state school and the alma mater of my family since 1850. It's everything I want in a school :)

25AA 3.98 GPA.
~400 shadowing hours, many volunteer hours, leadership experiences, and research.
Love the family history, you are awesome.

REALLY hoping for OHSU. Never been to Portland though, but I have talked to a few students, follow the school on every social media platform possible, and who doesn't love the PNW? I talked to a former student who said the new clinics feel like a very modern private practice and the views from their workspace are very therapeutic, especially when you practically live at the dental school. The outdoorsy vibe is so appealing to me. I love hiking and biking and the track & field, my favorite sport, events in the area are abundant. Also, don't even get me started on the coffee scene. Ugh I could go on for days. Really hoping for an interview. I'm OOS but my undergrad is a common feeder school so hoping that helps.
I wanted to apply to OHSU until I realized I'd have to live in Portland. PNW is great, though :D

I heard Oregon is a great place to live, I hope can get in!!!
Oregon is nice, Portland debatable...

REALLY hoping for OHSU. Never been to Portland though, but I have talked to a few students, follow the school on every social media platform possible, and who doesn't love the PNW? I talked to a former student who said the new clinics feel like a very modern private practice and the views from their workspace are very therapeutic, especially when you practically live at the dental school. The outdoorsy vibe is so appealing to me. I love hiking and biking and the track & field, my favorite sport, events in the area are abundant. Also, don't even get me started on the coffee scene. Ugh I could go on for days. Really hoping for an interview. I'm OOS but my undergrad is a common feeder school so hoping that helps.
I heard Oregon is a great place to live, I hope can get in!!!

I find the fact that no one is saying no my first choice to be comforting.

OHSU #1!

Really hoping for an interview. I'm OOS but my undergrad is a common feeder school so hoping that helps.

Didn't know we had a common OOS feeder school

Edit: On a side note, OHSU received a $500M donation from Nike to build their new cancer research institute, which should be located right adjacent to the newly built dental school

Last edited:
It's tough because I like all the schools I applied to, but I have a major, undeniable love for MWU-AZ. The students there are great, the systems-based curriculum (one of the aforementioned great students sent me a copy of their D1 schedule) is just awesome, and it'd be a pleasure to attend there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm all done with my application. At this point I'm just waiting for my recruiter to send it once the cycle opens in a month. It's a long process though.

Oh that's awesome, must be a big relief. How long did everything included in the application take you to complete? Yeah, it is crazy that we won't find out for about half of a year. Goodluck though!

Ohio State! Go Bucks!

oGPA:3.79 sGPA 3.8
DAT AA/TS/PAT: 21/21/21

Experience: Ortho assisting, SI leader (bio), Toys for Shots, Tutoring administration committee, Biochem student ambassador.

Oh that's awesome, must be a big relief. How long did everything included in the application take you to complete? Yeah, it is crazy that we won't find out for about half of a year. Goodluck though!
Thanks, you too. It took me about six months, but that's only because I've slowly been going through it and I gave my letter of recommendation writers plenty of time. If you have quick letter writers you could get it all done in a month or two I'm sure.

You are the first person I've come across that has felt that way about Portland. Why do you feel that way? I genuinely would like to know since I haven't been there.
Well any pro people give me for Portland can be easily found in another city minus the hordes of 20 and 30 something well off transplants from the burbs. And it's home to most of the hippies left in the states. I know this doesn't describe everyone from Portland but there's no question these types of people exist in much higher numbers in Portland. I get that I probably sound like a prick from this explanation and hating on Portland has sort of become a thing, but I've always felt this way so hey, at least I'm genuine about it ;) public transport kind of blows and during my time there I saw more tweakers than anywhere else I've ever been, for whatever that's worth

I hate this word because it's been misused so much that it's basically lost all meaning, but if you had to name a hipster capital of the US it would be Portland without a doubt. Eugene is up there too haha

Last edited:
I would love to go to Harvard or Columbia

You rock, man. I guess you should be really confident with your stats.

Without seeing any of the schools I've applied to, Colorado and Minnesota make the most sense financially.

University of Maryland!

GPA: 3.77 oGPA 3.84 sGPA (3.40 formal grad post-bacc)
DAT: 19AA 18TS 20PAT
Experience:
- Lots of research/ some awards
- President of Fraternity// President of Chem. Honor Society
- Other leadership
-250 Shadowing Hours
-Lots of volunteering

At this point I'm feeling like anywhere is a dream :rofl:
Probably Harvard or VCU or A&M.
22AA 3.9 something or other:thinking:

You are the first person I've come across that has felt that way about Portland. Why do you feel that way? I genuinely would like to know since I haven't been there.
Portland rocks but its suffering the same fate as Denver and Austin: endless swarm of 20 somethings, impossible to find a rental and when you do it's ridiculously expensive.
I would go to OHSU in a heartbeat and I went to one of their feeder schools but when I met an admissions officer there one summer she gave me a pretty blatant "you're OOS, your GPA is below our average, don't apply" answer for me.

Portland rocks but its suffering the same fate as Denver and Austin: endless swarm of 20 somethings, impossible to find a rental and when you do it's ridiculously expensive..

Well as a single "20 something" the idea of going to a city that's filled with people my age is quite appealing. I'm referring to Denver since Colorado is one of my top picks.

Reactions: 3 users
Well as a single "20 something" the idea of going to a city that's filled with people my age is quite appealing. I'm referring to Denver since Colorado is one of my top picks.
Denver is the best! That's why I've been here since forever. But the city adds almost 10,000 people a month.....I had to compete with 15 other rental applications on the very first day my apartment became available. Housing is a zoo. Traffic is becoming unbearable. I work for CU though and their medical campus is great!

Yikes! Well my GPA and DAT are above their averages so maybe that will help? If I do get it in, I will just have to be another 20 something taking up space ;) haha. But honestly, I will go to dental school anywhere I get in. I just hope I don't have what happened to a friend happen to me where they got in to OHSU in February but had already but down a deposit at another school in December... he had to forgo his deposit. Not sure if I could do that or not.
Oregon is a sooooo beautiful!!!
True story, I put a deposit down for a school, to get accept at OHSU few days later. Then I put the deposit down for OHSU, and get accept at another school later too...
2k deposit down the sink...

Hi Guy,

Let us have some fun! Dream about the people we can be...

Here, post your first choice school here, your stats and, your experience.

You know we should all have a dream, what if there is a what-if....

HEY OP

Which is your #1 , what if school?

HEY OP

Which is your #1 , what if school?
My what if school is Upenn and columbia

I have 0GPA 3.3 sGPA 3.3 AA 22 TS 22 PAT 25
shadowing 150hours (general and oral surgeons),
patient care assistant work 2000 hours,
Volunteer in hospital, high school as a tutor 100 hours something like that
3 basic science research and one clinic research,
organized a few event in my undergraduate school and graduate school as a student association president
Medical and dental trip oversea
recommendation letter from chairman of dentistry department

Hopefully these will make me get into one of them.

Oregon is a sooooo beautiful!!!
True story, I put a deposit down for a school, to get accept at OHSU few days later. Then I put the deposit down for OHSU, and get accept at another school later too...
2k deposit down the sink...
So you are in OHSU now?