Post your post-test predicted score vs. your actual score....for fun!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etorphine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a rehash of a thread from a couple of years ago, but considering the times are a'changing with the MCAT, it'd be nice to hear some current examples of people's predicted scores vs. what they actually got. It's generally a pretty positive thread.

The general consensus is that directly after the test, it feels like you got kicked in the face by a mule, but you end up scoring +-1-2 points around your AAMC average. I've heard of a lot of people that thought they got ~7-9 on a science section, but end up getting 13-14.

Also, if you know for a fact you got so and so many questions wrong on a section, include that too.

Anyway let's hear some case examples!

Prediction: 12-10-10
Actual: TBD

Members don't see this ad.

I took mine a while ago (5/21/10) but thought I'd share:

AAMC average: 30 +- 2
Kaplan average: 31 +- 2
Real Deal: 32 (10 B, 12 P, 10 V)

Pleasantly surprised by the physical science score. I left the exam thinking I got my butt kicked on that section (which I most likely did) but soon realized that everyone has the same question bank so it was just as difficult for them :D. The same applies if you got a nasty verbal passage or two.

I know for sure that I got at least 5 questions wrong in PS and 4 wrong in BS. Probably I got more wrong than those but I am not aware of them. Going into yesterday's test I was hoping for a 34, but now, after the test I would be more than happy with a 28. We'll see the real score in June.

PS AAMC average: 10
PS prediction post-test: 9
Actual: 11

VR AAMC average: 11
VR prediction: 8-9
Actual: 12 - This was the biggest shock for me. On the real thing VR felt so much more ambiguous with longer passages and more challenging questions. But I just went in with a ton of confidence and I promised myself to just trust intuition and not over-analyze. It paid off this time.

BS AAMC average: 12
Prediction: 12-13 (felt like this would by far be my best section)
Actual: 11

Total AAMC average: 31.5
Total prediction: 28-31
Actual: 34

Don't let this stupid test pysch you out. For each passage take a deep breath, smile at the opponent, respect its power, but realize your superiority and then beat the **** out of it. Don't second guess your intuition while you are taking it. There will be plenty of time for that later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let this stupid test pysch you out. For each passage take a deep breath, smile at the opponent, respect its power, but realize your superiority and then beat the **** out of it. Don't second guess your intuition while you are taking it. There will be plenty of time for that later.

This

IMO, you have to be arrogant when taking the MCAT. Assume you are smarter than the average test taker and assume any doubts you have about a given question is because of the way it is written and not because its over your head. That's the best way to beat it.

AAMC FL Average - 33
Actual Test - 30

PS AAMC Average - 10
PS Post Test Prediction - 10
PS Actual - 10

VR AAMC Average - 13
VR Post Test Prediction - 12
VR Actual - 11

BS AAMC Average - 11
BS Post Test Prediction - 10
BS Actual - 9

AAMC Avg
PS 13.57
VR 11.86
BS 13.00

Post-test Prediction
PS 13
VR 9
BS 12

Actual Result
PS 14
VR 11
BS 14

AAMC average (4 tests) --> 35.75 (32,37,37,37)
Theoretical max based on best subsection scores --> 40 (14/13/13)
Prediction 1-day before test --> 36 (13/11/12)
Prediction right after test --> 29 (10/8/11)
Prediction 1-day before score release --> 33 (11/10/12)
Actual score --> 39 (13/13/13)

AAMC average (4 tests) --> 35.75 (32,37,37,37)
Theoretical max based on best subsection scores --> 40 (14/13/13)
Prediction 1-day before test --> 36 (13/11/12)
Prediction right after test --> 29 (10/8/11)
Prediction 1-day before score release --> 33 (11/10/12)
Actual score --> 39 (13/13/13)

Wow, 39 with 13's across the board, that's the golden score. I bet you were blown away when you checked your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice!! Congrats :) :thumbup::thumbup:

Wow, 39 with 13's across the board, that's the golden score. I bet you were blown away when you checked your score.

Yeah I definitely was, I didn't think it was mine... I still wonder sometimes because I thought I blew away the writing sample but I didn't even score in the 30th percentile on it! I never complained of course, and AAMC never admitted any mistakes in scoring or score reporting. I guess I was super lucky on the multiple choice stuff but my essay-grader didn't like what I had to say.

AAMC Tests
1 week before: 13PS, 11VR, 14BS
1 day before: 13PS, 11VR, 14BS

Post-Test feeling: 12PS, 12VR, 14/15BS
Also felt like it could have easily swung the other way to (12-11-14), the PS section had made me want to void.

Actual Score: 12PS, 14VR, 15BS
I knew I had done well on VR, but was cautious about my predictions after the disappointing 0pt improvement in VR over the previous week. VR had been pretty much all I studied and I thought it hadn't paid off.

Last edited:
AAMC Tests

Also felt like it could have easily swung the other way to (12-11-14), the PS section had made me want to void.

I knew I had done well on VR, but was cautious about my predictions after the disappointing 0pt improvement in VR over the previous week. VR had been pretty much all I studied and I thought it hadn't paid off.

Proof that you shouldn't void because everyone comes out of the test feeling like they blew it big time.

AAMC Tests

How did you prepare for verbal Greenrabbit?

Average AAMC's: 38
Lowest/Highest AAMC: 36/40
Coming out of the test: 33-37
Actual: 40+ :) I could not believe it. Such luck! :luck:

First AAMC (Test 3): 31
Average AAMC - not including the first one: 38
Predicted score: I got really freaked out during the PS, calmed down during VR and BS, but still almost voided my score. Thought that I probably made a 30.
Actual Score: 42 (12/15/15)

First AAMC (Test 3): 31
Average AAMC - not including the first one: 38
Predicted score: I got really freaked out during the PS, calmed down during VR and BS, but still almost voided my score. Thought that I probably made a 30.
Actual Score: 42 (12/15/15)

Average AAMC's: 38
Lowest/Highest AAMC: 36/40
Coming out of the test: 33-37
Actual: 40+ :) I could not believe it. Such luck! :luck:

Do you guys know if you got any wrong for sure in these sections?

For verbal-- no idea. There were a ton that I narrowed down to 2 answers. I literally did eeny, meeny, miny moe for 2 of them...

PS-- I completely did not understand the second half of one of the passages (so for about 3-4 questions, I felt completely lost). My guess is that maybe it was an experimental passage?? I also missed at least 1 discrete question.

I almost voided my test too because I thought the PS section was crazy hard, and the verbal section was much longer/more difficult than any of the AAMC practice tests.

BS-- Yes, I missed at least 2 discrete questions.

Getting a 15 =/= getting every question correct. The real test contains "experimental" passages/questions that aren't graded. You can probably count on one hand the number of people that have actually gotten every question right on the test since they've switched over to the CBT format (though I'm sure there are at least a few 45s).

VR - also no idea. I was pretty confident on most of them, but some I definitely just narrowed it to two and went with a gut feeling.

BS - I definitely got at least one or two of the discrete questions wrong.

Took my exam today as well:

Predictions (Out of 7 AAMC Exams)

AAMC PS Average: 10.375
Post-Test Prediction: 11

AAMC VR Average: 11.286

AAMC BS Average: 10.857

AAMC Composite Average: 32.29
Composite Prediction: 33P

I'd love that score if I got it. :xf:

My actual score was 2 points higher than my predicted score (upon leaving the testing center).

Last edited:
I took it 5/7/11. My AAMC average was a 31 but I finished all those before I took the 4/16/11 exam which I voided and really did some hardcore studying for those 3 weeks. I took some Kaplan tests and got 13s on sciences and used ek for verbal which I got 11s on.

Prediction before test:
P11 V10 B12

Prediction after test:
P11-13
V7-9
B11-14
Composite 29-36

I really really want a 35 but the verbal section threw me and I keep flipping out about the science sections, even though I felt pretty good about them. I'll update this in 3 weeks. Send me all your mcat expert vibes/prayers, please :)

Prediction before test:
P11 V10 B12

Prediction after test:
P11-13
V7-9
B11-14
Composite 29-36

I really really want a 35 but the verbal section threw me and I keep flipping out about the science sections, even though I felt pretty good about them. I'll update this in 3 weeks. Send me all your mcat expert vibes/prayers, please :)

I thought verbal was pretty dense. I can't believe people are predicting their scores. My verbal score could be anywhere from 6-13. Why a month? Just why?

?!?!?! Just giving you a hard time man, hope you get the 35!

took the test on 5/7/11

after test prediction:
PS:11-12 (know for sure i got 2 wrong)
VR:8-10 (have no idea how i did, can barely remember the passages)
BS:10-11 ( i know for sure i got 10-12 wrong here max)

29-33

AAMC average:33-12ps-9vr-12bs

im really freaking out, i thought all sections were pretty challenging, its been a whole week since the test, and i cant seem to get my mind off of it. Especially since this is my third retake, if i do bad, i dont know what to do...retake in july?:scared:

That's quite rare, by and large I've only heard good things. I think perhaps test day nerves got the better of you.

Nothing that can't be fixed with a handy dandy retake

Yeah my ride was pretty late...but I thought I had calmed down before I started. Guess it still had an effect on me :(

AAMC FL avg: 35
On the AAMC's, scored between 9 and 12 on physical and biological, and between 11 and 14 on verbal. I never developed the ability to accurately predict my scores, so when I finished a test I really had no sense of how I'd done. The month after the April 9th MCAT was horrible because I just kept remembering questions I'd gotten wrong...

4/9/11 results: 11PS 12VR 11BS, total 34S.

Also, the test room was freezing. Did anyone else have this problem?

My AAMC FL avg: ~31 (range 29-34)
Prediction after taking: 29
Actual score: 34Q (12, 10, 12)

I went into the test feeling decent about it since my scores were trending up and I hit my high score in my last FL before I took the real thing. While taking the real one, I kept thinking how much harder it was than any of the practice tests. The passages were longer and the questions were harder. I walked out feeling so defeated and also kept dwelling on questions that I thought I marked wrong or all the ones I guessed on. I felt like I totally bombed the VR. While waiting for scores, I kept thinking I did horrible and was just going to be happy with a 29. So I was very surprised and happy with my real score.

My test center was a little cold, but actually warmer than I was expecting, so I wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt during the test just to make sure I wouldn't get cold.

Hey recent test takers who recently received your actual scores,

Can you please give feedback on this?:)

It would be super helpful for those in the 30 day waiting period :scared: