Post your practice exam progress here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

good_faith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Start with mine:
KAPLAN #1 7PS, 9BS, 7V
AAMC 4R 8, 9, 8
AAMC 3R 6, 8, 7

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i just wanted to offer some advice for people who feel like they're "stuck" in a certain score range. if you can get your grubby little pre-med hands on one, get a copy of princeton review's tests A-D book. i know i've been slagging it as of late, but after working through some of the sections, i can honestly say that the AAMC tests (i just took 5R today) couldn't hold TPR's jock strap as far as making something difficult. the physics and verbal sections of tests A-D are especially gruesome, and may help some of you prepare for the real deal.

the only pre-req here though, is that to take tests A-D, you have to be willing to sit through some tests that will make you feel...what's the word....oh, "******ed." yes, that's it.

good practice for those with a high tolerance for pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS V BS
13 12 13 3R
13 10 11 6R
13 11 11 5R

wassup with the BS droppage?

AAMC 3R - 11P, 12V, 10B = 33
AAMC 4R - 11P, 12V, 11B = 34
AAMC 5R - 11P, 11V, 12B = 34

Comments:

5R verbal was tough. I think I've been fairly consistent thus far, so I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do on the real thing. My only concern is my penchant for ridiculous mistakes on the PS section. If I can just work that out, I'm pretty close to what I think my potential is, which would be getting 12s across the three sections... It seems like sometimes 13s are possible on some sections, but I know I can't stop doing all the ******ed stuff I do.

Anyway, it's going to be a ridiculous next few weeks. Good luck, guys.

Originally posted by UDbiochem
kaplan full length 1: 10, 8, 9 = 27
kaplan full length 3: 10, 9, 10 = 29
AAMC 5R: >=12, 10-11, 10-11 = 32-37! :D

this makes me feel a little better about my kaplan scores (27-30).
i've only taken AAMC 3R so far, and didn't do too well, but i'm pretty sure that's because i did it on my own instead of a real simulation (like with kaplan). i think i'll sneak AAMC 5R or 6R to my next kaplan full-length and see how that goes :D

You people are seriously very smart people... I think it's gonna be August for me :(

6R BS 9 PS 8 VR 7

my summer just flashed before me... goodbye all the good plans I had.+pity+ This week I will study so hard for 7R (and of course the real thing), but I don't see a 30 in sight +pissed+

Just updating my previous post. Again, these were all at one sitting, starting ~ 9am unless otherwise indicated, strictly timed, etc.

EK 1g: P9, V11, B9
EK 2f: P9, V9, B8 (taken very late at night)
AAMC I: P10, V11, B11
AAMC II: P9, V10, B11
AAMC III: P10, V9 B11 (bio at separate sitting)
AAMC IV: P9, V12, B12
AAMC V: P12-13, V10, B11

Really happy with test V. I finally broke through the 10 barrier for Physical Sciences. I have no idea what I'm doing differently. I think it's the fact that I've finally finished reading all the EK materials so I'm pretty comfortable with all the questions now. Before it all sounded hard and tricky, but now I know exactly what they're asking for. It's nice because Physics used to be my weak point, but I think I'm finally progressing in that area. AAMC V's verbal was particularly hard for me. Bombed two passages. Usually I only have a problem with one at most.

Good luck everyone!

WTF?!!! I took 6R and went down 2 F$@#@* points on the verbal section... i've been busting my $#%!$ as~ practicing to no avail.

Anyone else score worse on the verbal of 6R?

AAMC 3R: 12P 12V 12B
AAMC 4R: 11P 12V 12B
Kap Digital: 7P 13V 13B

The Kaplan Digital is the test that comes on the CD with the Kaplan 2004 Comprehensive Review book. Anyone else taken that one yet?

I had a major meltdown on the physics, which is normally a pretty good topic for me.

AAMC 6R: 12P 12V 12B

I got half the questions on the Brand placement passage wrong. And I thought that was an easy passage :confused: . Apparently I got the completely wrong idea about the entire thing.

I thought I did worse on the bio and better on the physics, but apparently not. And on two questions I actually picked the wrong answer from what I was thinking. Stupid roman numerals..

AAMC 6R: 12 BS, 12 PS, 10 V

I had trouble with the brand passage, too. Anything with more than 10 questions wears me out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the brand passage kicked my arse... is it possible that the anwers are incorrect?? we all missed about half of those questions, it is what caused me to get such a low score.:mad: +pissed+

I don't think the answers were wrong. I missed like 3 or 4 of them. Other passages kicked me butt, though. I am just glad to see improvement from the 8 I got yesterday!

Don't worry too much about it, premyo2002. It will come to you. I have struggled quite a bit with verbal during this process, and just yesterday it began to "click." My problem was partly that I was reading the passages too "passively." Nothing was sinking into my brain. I now make more of an effort to dig into the passages, rather than letting it go into one ear and out the other. Maybe the same will work for you. :)

I just took 6R's BS section. By the end of it I was ready to put off taking the MCAT till August. I was 90% sure I had bombed it....bad! I came over here and painfully entered the answers expecting red x after red x (as an aside the "Score Paper and Pencil Test" interface is highly stressful:laugh: ). Somehow I managed to pull a 12 out of the BS section, my highest BSscore yet:D

You really can't tell with these bastards!

:clap: Way to go, Cerb!!! :clap:

Did anyone else think that passage on 6R about the firefighters was bizarre?

I keep bombing all my passages lately! I don't understand it! I'm getting stupider! Completely freaking out!!! :scared:

great job, cerb!

wahooali, don't sweat it. i think all of us here are guilty of over-doing things and succumbing to an overall neurosis. take a couple of days off (easier said than done), and then resume. everything will take care of itself.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I just took 6R's BS section. By the end of it I was ready to put off taking the MCAT till August. I was 90% sure I had bombed it....bad! I came over here and painfully entered the answers expecting red x after red x (as an aside the "Score Paper and Pencil Test" interface is highly stressful:laugh: ). Somehow I managed to pull a 12 out of the BS section, my highest BSscore yet:D

I know what u mean Cerb...... when i was entering 3R, all i kept seeing was red X for PS and V but BS just kept going so smoothly... got 69 correct (my highest ever and 1 short of 13) ...

keep it up buddy........

Woohooo! 12 on verbal of 6R:clap: :clap:

That makes 6R: 12BS, 12VR, 8PS

I dunno what happened on the PS:confused: I think I was just having a bad day test taking day, prior to that my PS score was in the 11-12 range:(

Update:

AAMC 3R - 14P 11V 13B
AAMC 4R - 13P 10V 13B
AAMC 5R - 14P 10V 13B
AAMC 6R - 13P 10V 14B

6R Comments:

The brand placement passage on verbal seemed like an easy read - too bad I got half of the questions wrong. Question #31 on PS was one of the worst questions I've ever read. Bio seemed a lot harder while I was taking it but it turned out pretty well. I thought it was pretty odd that they had a superantigen question in the independents and some of the independents were as long as passages. It was also pretty funny how the font kept changing between certain problems - it made it look like 6R was scrounged up out of nowhere by copying and pasting random stuff.

From now till the d-day, I will be learning how to find the answer that best answers the question, especially in BS--this is my spot now.

Despite being a bio major I am way stronger in Organic than in bio. Hope I get more of those on the real thing, hoping they'll be easy.

AAMC 5R (taken yesterday in a breakless, continuous stretch)

PS 12 VR 11 BS 10 for a 33. I can only blame picasso.

Still not where I wanna be. I want 35+ :cool:

Hopefully I should climb to a 35+ on the real deal.

Dunno whether to get Test 7. $40 bucks seems alot now.

Originally posted by lifeisbeautiful
6R Physics 13 Verbal 9 Biology 11

Is it just me or anyone else feel this biology section is harder than other AAMC tests?

I got an 11 on the 5R and 6R BS as well, but I thought they were manageable; and it was better than all my other AAMC BS's which were painfully sitting at 9's and 10's, mostly due to silly mistakes. I am working on those now till April 17.

The 6R VR is tough, and I got a 9 there being an ESL person. I made 11 VR on 5R, 8 VR on 4R, 10 VR on 3R. My PS's are between 10-12. Hoping for much better scores on the real thing. *Silently praying*

Compared to starters, I suck at VR, but on the brand placement passage (6R I think) I got 2 questions wrong, and yes it was an easy read. Seems there's hope for me then :D

Originally posted by Cerberus

I was complaining about that damn score interface to my husband just last night.

As far as my progress. I took 5R last night and scored 6 points above 4R, but I'm still only in the mid to upper 20s so I'm not posting the actual score.

On the other hand I had a dream the other night I busted 30 on the real deal, so let's hope my psychic abilities are better than my physics abilities!!

(sorry , couldn't help myself)

Here is scoring so far.

3R 10P 9V 8B = 27 (two months ago)
5R 12P 9V 9B = 30 (six weeks ago)
4R 10P 10V 9B = 29 (two weeks ago)
6R 10P 11V 11B = 32 (last night)

I am definitely getting better doing the Verb section. No sure about 6R Biology. It was very generous. I missed almost same number of questions as 4R, one I got 9 and one got 11. So go figure it.

Plan to do 7 this weekend and hopefully have clear mind in two weeks.

P.S. I really hate to miss very easy questions in Physical Science. But I keep on missing them.

do you attack BS differently than you do PS?

i've been getting 13s on PS and a couple points less on BS. does PS seem much more straighforward for you folks? BS seems a lot more "touchy feely", kinda feels like i'm doing a verbal section almost, where answers arent pure numbers and theres 2 answers that kinda sound rite. i dunno maybe its cuz i'm a engineer. its kinda frustrating because i know my bio facts but i guess i dont have enough "bio experience/intuition" to apply them correctly.

just ranting...

I think so too. I think PS is easiest of three for me. I kick myself everytime I miss a question. It is very straight forward. However, BS involves more intuition. You can only get there by taking a lot of Biology courses. Also, it is tougher to get good BS scores since almost everybody who take MCAT has from biology background.

My goal is to get 11 to 12 on PS, 10 to 11 on Verb, maybe 9 to 10 on the BS. I would be very happy.

These practice exams are screwing with me...

I've been scoring around 25's on TPR A-D....so I decide to take a shot at my first AAMC....AAMC 4R : 24 (9 7, 8)

WTF?! I've been pulling 10s on ek 101 and VR 9's on A-D.

So it seems as if i'm moving backwards:

KAP DIAG: 23
Kap 3 : 24
Kap 4 : 27
A-D : 25
AAMC IV: 24

I think I've peaked...

One Kaplan MCAT course $1200

Three AAMC exams $60

1 point increase after countless months of studying......worthless

Dudes, my karma is hella screwed. Best of Luck

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
These practice exams are screwing with me...

I've been scoring around 25's on TPR A-D....so I decide to take a shot at my first AAMC....AAMC 4R : 24 (9 7, 8)

WTF?! I've been pulling 10s on ek 101 and VR 9's on A-D.

So it seems as if i'm moving backwards:

KAP DIAG: 23
Kap 3 : 24
Kap 4 : 27
A-D : 25
AAMC IV: 24

I think I've peaked...

One Kaplan MCAT course $1200

Three AAMC exams $60

1 point increase after countless months of studying......worthless

Dudes, my karma is hella screwed. Best of Luck

Don't dispair! You probably just had some bad luck. Go over your exam and figure out what happened. I got between 9 and 12 (mostly 9s and 10s) on EK101 VR and that is what I have gotten on the last 2 AAMCs. Don't let it get you down! :)

My scores for both science sections are similar, but PS makes me feel more stupid when I'm taking it. There is more of a "either you know or you don't" feel to it.

Just a warning.

Didn't know anybody read future DR. Kim Higgins's diary. Just be care comparing sample test score. She made 36 on her last practice yet only made 23 on the real one. So get good rest and relax. Actually day perform is very important.

Good news is that she made to her school still. That's good.

P.S. I think that I am going to go for early decision on one of Texas state schools as well since it seems that it is easy to get in than through normal admission.

Originally posted by jxu66
Just a warning.

Didn't know anybody read future DR. Kim Higgins's diary. Just be care comparing sample test score. She made 36 on her last practice yet only made 23 on the real one. So get good rest and relax. Actually day perform is very important.

Good news is that she made to her school still. That's good.

P.S. I think that I am going to go for early decision on one of Texas state schools as well since it seems that it is easy to get in than through normal admission.

Wow, that's scary. Just remember that it is a VERY extreme case. Don't let it worry you about the real deal.

Kaplan Diag 26 (12PS 5V 9BS)
Kaplan Full #1 25 ( 8PS 7V 10BS)
Kaplan Full #2 30 (11PS 9V 10BS)
Kaplan Full #3 29 (11PS 9V 9BS)
AAMC 3R 32 (10PS 9V 12BS)
Kaplan Full #4 30 (11PS 8V 11BS)
AAMC 4R 29 (12PS 7V 10BS) (both science 1 silly mistake short of next higher)

I guess I should be taking more practice tests... my main problem is having to bubble in at least 2 passages every full length.

I guess what went wrong today was the exam was proctered 12-8 and I was totally done by the middle of it ........ and made so many foolish mistakes on BS .... PS went fine could have grabbed 3 more questions......

Funny thing is I am scoring my highest scores on PS and BS on AAMC (number of questions correct) and my lowest in Verbal ......... I only want to make a 9 on verbal (with 12 on both PS and BS) ...... I hope I can make it ......... I am getting a little nervous about the stupid mistakes ....
Do u guys think if I take a few more full lengths,,, i will have a better stamina to last a whole day on the real test day .....

sorry for the long post but that V is pulling me way down .....

Hey, CanIMakeIt, don't sweat it. 4R was the hardest verbal section for me of the AAMC tests. A couple more practice tests certainly wouldn't hurt. Do what you have time for. It is almost over, anyway... might as well give it your best shot! :)

kaplan 4: 31!!! 9 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS!!! my highest scores in bio and verbal ever. :)

keep studying guys! what has been helping me is just exams and the answers. reading at this point doesn't work, at least that's my opinion.

wow, you guys are doing great. looks like some people have taken 4 or 5 tests. i took 3R yesterday for my first full length exam:
12PS, 11V, 11BS = 34

on the EK 1001 verbal passages i've scored 8,9,10,8,9,10 on the first 6 exams.

doing all of 3R with the essays and real (timed) breaks seemed to be a good thing too. instead of starting on my own time and taking breaks as i wanted, i actually started at 8:30, sat at my desk until time was called if i finished early, and so on. i felt stupid just sitting there but i tried to make it realistic. the only other thing i need is a tape of a heavy breathing/knuckle cracking neighbor.

Originally posted by gdk
wow, you guys are doing great. looks like some people have taken 4 or 5 tests. i took 3R yesterday for my first full length exam:
12PS, 11V, 11BS = 34

on the EK 1001 verbal passages i've scored 8,9,10,8,9,10 on the first 6 exams.

doing all of 3R with the essays and real (timed) breaks seemed to be a good thing too. instead of starting on my own time and taking breaks as i wanted, i actually started at 8:30, sat at my desk until time was called if i finished early, and so on. i felt stupid just sitting there but i tried to make it realistic. the only other thing i need is a tape of a heavy breathing/knuckle cracking neighbor.

I'm gonna develop and market an album with nothing but distracting noises on it.

Gum smacking
Pencil tapping
Knuckle cracking
Wheezing
Burping
etc.

Thoughts on Kaplan full-length 1?

I just took this one today after having done 3 and 4 already. Is Kaplan 1 supposed to be really easy?

I know it's the first practice exam in the kaplan syllabus, is it made easy so you feel like kaplan has paid off after so much time studying?

~Lubdubb

Originally posted by farleyisgod
I'm gonna develop and market an album with nothing but distracting noises on it.

Gum smacking
Pencil tapping
Knuckle cracking
Wheezing
Burping
etc.

Don't forget to include that "snorting" noise that people make when they try to suck up their snot. During my most recent practice exam, I sat in front of someone who did that every 10 seconds.