Post your practice exam progress here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

good_faith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Start with mine:
KAPLAN #1 7PS, 9BS, 7V
AAMC 4R 8, 9, 8
AAMC 3R 6, 8, 7

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by superdevil
ah cerb, if i had been getting your practice scores.....if you are pessimistic, then your pessimism would be like a frantic japanese accountant walking home from work, and my pessimism would be none other than godzilla (or perhaps rodan, depending on the day)! :laugh: j/k--we're all gonna be ok, things just suck major ass for now. how will we all feel three weeks from now?

I am just generally pessimistic today (which isnt really characteristic of me). I may be scoring decently on the MCAT practice tests but my grades this semester are sucking, I have a mediocre (slightly below average for my state school) GPA, crappy EC's that arent sports related, and now a ****ed up knee that may put me out for the rest of the season.

I want to club a baby seal!

Originally posted by Cerberus
I am just generally pessimistic today (which isnt really characteristic of me). I may be scoring decently on the MCAT practice tests but my grades this semester are sucking, I have a mediocre (slightly below average for my state school) GPA, crappy EC's that arent sports related, and now a ****ed up knee that may put me out for the rest of the season.

I want to club a baby seal!

Lol Cerberus, relax you are going to be fine. I agree with superdevil, that if I had your practice scores I'd be pretty confident at this point. I'm sure your EC's don't suck, didn't you say you were part of the row team? Relax and gauge where you are at this moment, I am sure you are fine and better off than most. I hope your knee heals up quickly but don't worry you'll be kicking some ass come application time.

holy crap, cerb, that's definately some bad mojo. sorry to hear about the knee, i know what that's like. the silver lining: i got a LOR from shadowing the ortho surgeon who put my leg back together! i guess that's something, anyway...

unless you're pulling straight C's, i don't think you should lose sleep over your GPA this semester. if you blast the beast on 4.17, i guarantee that will turn into acceptances come this time next year (or before). its only three more weeks...(superdevil slips into catatonic state, as he repeats this mantra ad nauseum).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Guys:) I know I will probably be fine come application time, I am just a bit stressed right now and screwing my knee up just sort of set the tone for the day so far. I am really not that psychotic about my MCAT score, I think the internet amplifies how dramatic I am.

AAMC 3R - 10 PS, 10 Bio, 11 V

AAMC 4R - 8, 10, 10 (ack)

Did anyone else find 4R more difficult than 3R?

AAMC 3R - 10 PS, 10 Bio, 11 V

AAMC 4R - 8, 10, 10 (ack)

I'm taking TPR, and my scores as as follows:

1st Diag: 9B 6V 6P
2nd Diag: 9B 9V 7P
3rd Diag: 9B 9V 9P

Hoping to break 30 on Saturday :) Wish me luck!

come to think of it, even though my scores were nearly identical, for some strange reason, 4R did seem a little tougher than 3R. at least i'm not the only one :cool:

Finally, done with finals (which went extremely well :) )! I am going to take an AAMC test tomorrow.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
Finally, done with finals (which went extremely well :) )! I am going to take an AAMC test tomorrow.

Congrats on doing well with finals!

AAMC 3R - 14P 11V 13B
AAMC 4R - 13P 10V 13B

4R seemed a lot harder, especially the verbal. What was up with the scale for verbal? - it was so strict!

blz, a couple others have also indicated that AAMC 4R is guilty of being harder than AAMC 3R, but i don't think we'll be using your 36 as "exhibit A."

bravo, though.

Originally posted by blz
AAMC 3R - 14P 11V 13B
AAMC 4R - 13P 10V 13B

4R seemed a lot harder, especially the verbal. What was up with the scale for verbal? - it was so strict!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Thats just not right... not right at all. Hopefully some of your test taking abilities rub off on me if we both take the mcat at the same testing center in NJ. Way to go though, but man I wish I could come up with a score like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
heh thanks...I'm actually an MCAT Teacher at my university. So I know my subject matter, but the key to doing well is mostly in the technique you use - I think I've gotten that almost perfected (except in verbal). There's always little tricks to get the most difficult of questions correct. Like for example, those annoying passage-based questions that you narrow down to two answer choices. Most of the time you can get them right because only one of the answer choices will actually specifically answer the question well. There's a bunch of other little things you can do, once you discover them all, doing well on this exam is simple.

Originally posted by blz
There's a bunch of other little things you can do, once you discover them all, doing well on this exam is simple.

I'd be interested in hearing these :)

yah, why don't you throw us some of those tasty tidbits, blz. i'm sure we'd all appreciate anything advice you can offer.

Originally posted by blz
heh thanks...I'm actually an MCAT Teacher at my university. So I know my subject matter, but the key to doing well is mostly in the technique you use - I think I've gotten that almost perfected (except in verbal). There's always little tricks to get the most difficult of questions correct. Like for example, those annoying passage-based questions that you narrow down to two answer choices. Most of the time you can get them right because only one of the answer choices will actually specifically answer the question well. There's a bunch of other little things you can do, once you discover them all, doing well on this exam is simple.

Well, if you are aware of these tricks and such please share. Here would be a good place to start

11/08/03 TPR 4911 9B 6P 3V
01/24/04 TPR 4921 8B 6P 5V
03/25/04 TPR 4902 10B 10P 6V
(I did improve in verbal. Got 9 in EK and 9 on one of the TPR Verbal Test sections. This one was rough though. Oh well, back to work!!!)

Originally posted by CanIMakeIt
For PS 35-40 = 9
For V 47-50 = 12
For BS 51-56 = 10

improve PS a little and u r all set

:clap:

Hmmm... Maybe TPR uses a rough curve:
I got 62 in Biology, 60 in Physical science and 39 in Verbal
Would that really be 10, 10, 6?

Give me some time to write something up, there's a lot to tell.

ditto.

and cerb, stop with the countdown sh.t!!!! you're killing me!

Help me out someone, do you think that was a roughly accurate conversion above?
60P=10
62B=10
39V=6

Took 3R a month ago, found it to be ridiculously simple.

13 V, 13 BS, 12 PS

Will take 4R next week.

Hey all-
Does anyone know where you can get the conversion from raw score to MCAT scores for Kaplan tests without submitting all your answers online? I only took PS and VR on Kaplan test 8 and I got 46/77 on PS and 45/60 on VR and I was wondering what the conversions were. Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by blz

tell us ..please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please :clap: :clap:

[Dr. Evil mode]

Throw us a bone here

[/Dr. Evil mode]

Originally posted by blz

You cant get an accurate conversion from TPR because their tests dont in any way represent the aamc versions.

I don't think that's true...
A-D suck as indicators, but the diagnostics aren't too bad.

Just speaking from experience... of course results will vary from person to person.

Originally posted by farleyisgod
I don't think that's true...
A-D suck as indicators, but the diagnostics aren't too bad.

Just speaking from experience... of course results will vary from person to person.

Well, my only experience is from A-D. I assumed they were diagnostic tests:confused:

In the order taken:
I only took AAMC #1 and #2 because I have had problem with time on standardized tests in the past and I wanted to get my timing down. They were quite easy, but great confidence builders.

AAMC 3R (Before studying) 12P, 7V, 11B
AAMC #1: 13-15P, 13-15V,13-15B
AAMC #2: 12P, 10V, 13-15B
Kaplan Big Book#1: 10P, 10V, 11B
EK #1e: 11P, 9V, 10B
AAMC #4: >12P, 10-11V, >12B !!

I am so happy about #4.... Is #4 traditionally a lot easier than the real thing?

The PS seemed quite easy compared to everything else (Except 1&2). The verbal and bio seemed hard when I was doing it, but I ended up doing well.

Well, my only experience is from A-D. I assumed they were diagnostic tests:confused:

When I took the class, this book was just an extra set of tests for anyone who felt like they needed more material; however, all of the instructors told me NOT to attempt them.

The diagnostics were separate and much, much more doable.

Originally posted by farleyisgod
When I took the class, this book was just an extra set of tests for anyone who felt like they needed more material; however, all of the instructors told me NOT to attempt them.

The diagnostics were separate and much, much more doable.

Oh, that makes me feel better. How did I end up with so many lameass ultra hard tests?

Darn it.

AAMC 4R: PS 10, BS 11, V 9

I realize that it's still a good score, but I got a 34 on my first practice... so it was kind of a disappointment. On the upside, I was one point away from increasing to the next score in each category (11 PS, 10 V, 12 BS). Hopefully I will have extra luck on April 17. ;)

I took a Kaplan full length 2 weeks ago:

VR: 13
BS: 10
PS: 7

Which is almost exactly what I got on the real thing last Aug, I was just one point lower in VR. I wish I didn't have to retake this stupid test. I am working with the EK 1001 Q books for physics and gen chem, hopefully doing as many of those as I can between now and the test will boost my PS at least a couple of points. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not going to have to put off retaking until Aug, which would really suck because 1.) it will delay my apps at a bunch of schools and 2.) I have already put off working on my thesis to study for this again, which will delay my graduation until summer, and I'd hate for that to be for nothing. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to see if my practice scores go up for PS; I'm taking another one Sunday.

Originally posted by johnnyMD
AAMC 3
PS 13 V 13 BS 12

Is test 3 legit? it was so much easier than TPR

I have heard that aamc 3 is easier than the other ones. I took it before studying and scored well, except in verbal. I suck at verbal though. #4-7 are suppose to be more realistic, although I took 4 the other day and it's not that it was all that easy, but you could miss 10-12 in some sections and still get 12s and 13s.

well, i finally have some news that isn't pathetic! here goes:

TPR 4911: PS-6 VR-9 BS-7 (22)

TPR 4921: PS-5 VR-9 BS-9 (23)

TPR 4931: PS-9 VR-11 BS-11 (31)

...now that's more like it. so, with three weeks to go, i still need at least a 2 point increase to feel comfortable. on the bright side, some of the stuff i struggled with is stuff i haven't actually studied yet. oh well, i guess only time will tell. back to work i go...

Oh my gosh, after the exam I took today I am beginning to lose hope. I got a 26! 9 V, 8 PS, 9 BS. It seems like every test I take, my score drops even more. :( This was a Berkeley exam (exam IV).

Just took Kaplan Full Length # 3

11P, 8V, 9B (28)

...... it is certainly not looking good..... may be it will when i start taking AAMC tests

Today my brain just refused to work ..... it seemed as if I had to force information into my brain just to get through...... it was really very weired...... maybe little bit of sleep will help :) ... it seems like there is too much pressure in my head ...

and oh yeah .... on verbal I had to put in 15 Cs 'coz I ran of time..... oh well....will have to manage better than that on the real thing

Thanks for letting me vent :D

UCLAstudent, CanIMakeIt, don't despair. i know next to nothing about the tests from Berkeley or Kaplan, but i've been jerked around by TPR enough to put things into perspective. you have to have faith that all of your work will come to fruition on the real deal. i've busted my balls off since the second week of january, and until this afternoon, i thought it was all a waste. then, out of thin air, i actually did well (improved 8 points between diags--although some of that is pre-scripted TPR bullsh.t due to insanely hard diags at the beginning of the course).

keep chugging. like me, your time will come.

I took the 3R a few weeks ago, and it was the first time I've ever seen the MCAT. I made a 33 (12P, 11V, 10B), and I was pleased at the time, but now I'm hearing that the 3R was super easy, so I have no clue on how I'm going to do anymore.

I guess all I can do is keep studying and finish all my practice tests... we'll see.

Getting worried, though.

Originally posted by superdevil
UCLAstudent, CanIMakeIt, don't despair. i know next to nothing about the tests from Berkeley or Kaplan, but i've been jerked around by TPR enough to put things into perspective. you have to have faith that all of your work will come to fruition on the real deal. i've busted my balls off since the second week of january, and until this afternoon, i thought it was all a waste. then, out of thin air, i actually did well (improved 8 points between diags--although some of that is pre-scripted TPR bullsh.t due to insanely hard diags at the beginning of the course).

keep chugging. like me, your time will come.

Thanks for the advice. I am just freaked out by my downward trend... my score has decreased by 8 points so far! I just need to keep working hard. :)

Alright, it's a little better. I added my score wrong... I got 27 (9, 9, 9) which is not all that bad, since this test was a "butt-kicker," according to the guy who wrote it. I'm just going to read through all of the solutions to see what I missed, and I will try not to make the same mistakes in the future. :D

Originally posted by researchprof
I am doing bad! I hope the real stuff doesn't become like this or else I will just be applying for a PhD. My problems seem to be being too fussy/pedantic at the beginnings and rushing through the last 4 or so passages and therefore making silly mistakes. It is obvious my perfectionism isn't doing me great good.

Took tests in a single, continuous stretch:

AAMC 3R PS 10 VR 11 BS 9
AAMC 4R PS 10 VR 8 BS 9

PS/BS are constant while VR is plummeting, well 5R will further confirm or reject the hypothesis.

got lucky on VR by a point, or else it woulda been a 7. Apparently so many stones need to be unturned before April 17.

Kaplan Workbook full length PS 11 VR 10 BS 11

Just took AAMC 6R PS 10 VR 9 BS 11.

OMG, the AAMC 6R VR was hard as hell! I actually thought I was going to do worse. BS has moved up 2 points. I dunno what happened in PS, I just got most the questions wrong toward the end. This is not where I actually want to be, or else I will just be going to get my PhD :D. Well, I am still praying. I am quietly hoping April will be far better than this :( .