Postbac vs SMP for 3.1 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fractures

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently graduated from an Ivy League school with a 3.63 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA. All of my science pre-reqs were Bs or B+s, so should I retake them all in a DIY postbac and gun for As, or instead take upper level undergraduate classes in biology? I'm confident that I can get good grades since I'm no longer balancing two majors at 22cr/sem.

I've done the calculations - even if I get straight 4.0s in the postbac, my sGPA would increase to a modest 3.4.

So should I even consider a postbac? Or should I apply to SMPs next cycle? Or should I do a postbac followed by an SMP?

Some other useful info: I'll be taking the MCAT in a few months. I've been consistently scoring in the 90th percentile on practice exams. I'm currently working as a medical assistant in private practice derm (charting, briefing patients on procedures, briefing doctors on patient concerns and medical history, assisting the doctors during procedure, stocking).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't bother retaking pre-reqs. It's madness.

It's no longer about the cGPA, but showing the you of now is not the you of then. Read this carefully:
Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

I recently graduated from an Ivy League school with a 3.63 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA. All of my science pre-reqs were Bs or B+s, so should I retake them all in a DIY postbac and gun for As, or instead take upper level undergraduate classes in biology? I'm confident that I can get good grades since I'm no longer balancing two majors at 22cr/sem.

I've done the calculations - even if I get straight 4.0s in the postbac, my sGPA would increase to a modest 3.4.

So should I even consider a postbac? Or should I apply to SMPs next cycle? Or should I do a postbac followed by an SMP?

Some other useful info: I'll be taking the MCAT in a few months. I've been consistently scoring in the 90th percentile on practice exams. I'm currently working as a medical assistant in private practice derm (charting, briefing patients on procedures, briefing doctors on patient concerns and medical history, assisting the doctors during procedure, stocking).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user