Postbacc vs. Retaking Classes After Strong Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colombianasian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've read many threads on the pros and cons of retaking classes (as an informal) vs. enrolling into a formal Postbacc program (linked to medical schools and not linked). I'm here because I have a very strong upward trend in my Junior and Senior years of college and am left wondering what my best options are.

Just for example, I received C's in all core chemistry classes (freshman and sophomore years), but have demonstrated my ability to perform well academically by receiving an A in Biochemistry (senior year). This is the general trend between my lower division science classes and upper division science classes (worst quarterly GPA was 2.3 and best was 3.9). Should I retake the classes I did poorly in at a CC because I have proven my ability to do well in upper division classes? I must retake a C- anyways.

I am a first generation college student. I am also half latino, and considered economically disadvantage. If I'm going to take loans out to do any post-bacc work I need my best options in front of me. I attend UCLA and will graduate in June. Can someone please lay out a couple options for me.

Edit: Current science GPA: 3.0. Overall GPA 3.2

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t think a single A in Biochem shows your academic prowess if you received C’s In all of your chemistry classes. I would keep doing upper level sciences and getting A’s. I would not retake a C. Do we’ll in a lot of upper levels then let your MCAT score prove your chem knowledge. I would definitely not retake the C’s at a community college, what will that prove?