Postbacc vs. Retaking Classes After Strong Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

colombianasian

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I've read many threads on the pros and cons of retaking classes (as an informal) vs. enrolling into a formal Postbacc program (linked to medical schools and not linked). I'm here because I have a very strong upward trend in my Junior and Senior years of college and am left wondering what my best options are.

Just for example, I received C's in all core chemistry classes (freshman and sophomore years), but have demonstrated my ability to perform well academically by receiving an A in Biochemistry (senior year). This is the general trend between my lower division science classes and upper division science classes (worst quarterly GPA was 2.3 and best was 3.9). Should I retake the classes I did poorly in at a CC because I have proven my ability to do well in upper division classes? I must retake a C- anyways.

I am a first generation college student. I am also half latino, and considered economically disadvantage. If I'm going to take loans out to do any post-bacc work I need my best options in front of me. I attend UCLA and will graduate in June. Can someone please lay out a couple options for me.

Edit: Current science GPA: 3.0. Overall GPA 3.2
 
Last edited:
I don’t think a single A in Biochem shows your academic prowess if you received C’s In all of your chemistry classes. I would keep doing upper level sciences and getting A’s. I would not retake a C. Do we’ll in a lot of upper levels then let your MCAT score prove your chem knowledge. I would definitely not retake the C’s at a community college, what will that prove?