Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want to ask your top site that’s using UND for a reciprocal offer before this date (assuming you’ve received an offer from a site that’s not your top choice), how many times can you do this? Like say your top site does not make you an offer, can you then ask your next top site for a reciprocal offer?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to ask your top site that’s using UND for a reciprocal offer before this date (assuming you’ve received an offer from a site that’s not your top choice), how many times can you do this? Like say your top site does not make you an offer, can you then ask your next top site for a reciprocal offer?

Yes. The important thing to remember is that you must then attend that post doc. See the APPIC website for a complete description (I think someone also posted a link on this thread). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my gosh, I want this process to be over. Applied to 11, got 7 interviews, 4 rejections. I already know the site I want to accept an offer from, I wish I could just go to them and be like, "Hey, I don't have an offer, but if you make me one, I would accept it", hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you say a bit more about the oreo flavors? This is important info!!!
Hahaha, very important indeed! I bought chocolate hazelnut and java chip. The chocolate hazelnut isn't as good as nutella, but decent. The java chip has kind of a weird flavor, but definitely has a hint of coffee and I have low standards so I plan on eating the whole package. :lol:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Heyyyy guys-
So a site offered me an interview but said I had to apply on the state gov website for the “job” to process through HR before scheduling me an interview. It has been 12 days since I filled out the job app and havent heard a thing. Is this normal? I am getting antsy.

Official Site Name: Miami VA
Date Invitation Received: 2/1
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): HIV and Liver Disease
Interview Dates Offered: 2/9, 2/10, and 2/11
If & How you're staying sane: lots of take out lol

Reactions: 3 users
Damn, my #1 research/clinical fit was just filled by another candidate with a reciprocal offer whose research fit even that much better. To be honest though, I think I'm secretly a little grateful. The location would've taken me away from my partner for 2 more years, so if I had been offered the position it would've been a really tough call. Glad that I at least have this information now to have plenty of time to incorporate it into my decision making!

Reactions: 5 users
Heyyyy guys-
So a site offered me an interview but said I had to apply on the state gov website for the “job” to process through HR before scheduling me an interview. It has been 12 days since I filled out the job app and havent heard a thing. Is this normal? I am getting antsy.
I think it's fair to email and follow up now!

Damn, my #1 research/clinical fit was just filled by another candidate with a reciprocal offer whose research fit even that much better. To be honest though, I think I'm secretly a little grateful. The location would've taken me away from my partner for 2 more years, so if I had been offered the position it would've been a really tough call. Glad that I at least have this information now to have plenty of time to incorporate it into my decision making!
how did you figure out all the details about who the offer went to?

how did you figure out all the details about who the offer went to?
The TD sent me an email explaining the situation. They didn't reveal who got the offer, but I'm pretty sure I know who it is based on their research. And if it's who I think it is, I can't even be mad—they were an excellent fit. It was super gracious of the TD to send me the email and let me know that it was "a very difficult decision" (or at least lie and say that it was :p).

Reactions: 2 users
When you get offers for postdocs, how long do you have to accept/decline them? Someone told me two hours and that is crazy to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you get offers for postdocs, how long do you have to accept/decline them? Someone told me two hours and that is crazy to me.
It’s 2 hours on Uniform Notification Day. If you get an offer before that day, i think it varies from each site. Some will give a couple days, some a week.

Non-UND/non-match sites can do whatever they want for timelines. One program made an intern of ours make a decision right then and there on the phone call.

• Wow
Do y'all think postdoc offers will come via email or phone? Or does it just depend

two hours is crazy. Give me a day at least
The UND programs want to make sure they fill their postdoc spot so if their top choice turns them down, they will want to offer their #2 candidate ASAP because filling that spot after UND day can be challenging.

It can be very stressful but if you are applying to UND postdocs, ask questions/get all of your clarifications done beforehand so you can have your ranked list finalized before that morning, which includes consulting with family/partners about geographic factors and anything else relevant to your decision.

On the other hand, there can be more clarity because you'll know right off the bat who makes you a 10am offer and who doesn't (or whenever UND day 'starts') and can then engage in the reciprocal offer process if appropriate.

For non-UND sites (since you don't know when an offer will come), if you feel pressured by their timeline, you can ask for more time. But they aren't under any obligation to accommodate.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question. If you accept an offer, should you call the other sites that are considering you for the post doc to let them know that you are no longer available? Thank you.

I have a question. If you accept an offer, should you call the other sites that are considering you for the post doc to let them know that you are no longer available? Thank you.
That is what APPIC recommends.

Yeppers! That is what is recommended.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services
Date Invitation Received: 1/22/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Sport Psychology Track
Interview Dates Offered: 2/1/2021
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane
: binge watching dawsons creek! (don't @ me :rofl:)

Official Site Name: Pepperdine University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 1/25/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Sport Psychology track
Interview Dates Offered: 2/5/2021
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane
: binge watching dawsons creek! (don't @ me :rofl:)

Anyone heard from UCSD CAPS?

REJECTION:
Official Site Name: Stanford University Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Date Rejection Received: 2/3/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Sport Psychology track

:cryi:

Last edited:
  • Care
Johns Hopkins All Childrens let interview applicants know that they will be notifying of offers/ if positions are filled the first week of Feb, has anyone from any of the tracks heard back yet? I know of three other people that also applied there that haven’t heard anything 🤔 trying to figure out if they’re behind schedule or if people actually heard back this week

If anyone else here interviewed at USF Morsani College of Medicine for neuro, can you send me a DM? Thanks!

Finished my last postdoc interview this morning. Ended on a high note, the interview was more conversational in nature and full of laughter and warm human interaction. What a milestone! I hope you all are going strong. I wish you all the best with notifications.

"May your hard work put you where good luck can find you" - Unknown

"May the odds be ever in your favor!" - Effie Trinket

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I'm looking for some advice. I interviewed with several sites participating in the APPCN match (neuropsych) and a few sites that didn't participate. I got a pre-emptive offer from a non-match site and accepted (Yay!), but when I let match-sites know I was withdrawing from the match several asked me where I was going to postdoc, and I wasn't sure how to respond. Are they just curious? Could telling them backfire somehow? Is that request normal? Thanks for any thoughts!

I'm looking for some advice. I interviewed with several sites participating in the APPCN match (neuropsych) and a few sites that didn't participate. I got a pre-emptive offer from a non-match site and accepted (Yay!), but when I let match-sites know I was withdrawing from the match several asked me where I was going to postdoc, and I wasn't sure how to respond. Are they just curious? Could telling them backfire somehow? Is that request normal? Thanks for any thoughts!
Just wondering how it might backfire?

I think being straightforward with that information is fine and the request seems normal to me. I'm not going through APPCN however when I do have to decline at sites I've interviewed for (both non-UND and UND sites) I was planning on telling them where I had accepted.

This is purely just so we know who to shun at the annual poker game.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

It shouldn’t be a problem. Everyone knows them’s the breaks. Neuro is a small world and many of us know each other, so it’s probably a combo of curiosity and also wondering who our competition typically is. If anyone uses that against you, they’re jerks.

This is purely just so we know who to shun at the annual poker game.

Neuropsychologists take their games seriously. Didn’t Ralph Reitan get barred from the ABCN meeting over Chutes and Ladders?

Question for interviews with current postdocs- I am curious as to whether any of you have asked the current postdocs about the cost of living with the postdoc salary? I've asked this question at several interviews and at one site, the postdocs seemed to be taken aback by the question. They were like 'well this is already double of the internship pay, so it's much better'. But based on my google-abilities and perusing on reddit forums, the cost of that stipend would hardly cover rent and utilities for the year. Other current postdocs at other sites have been very forthcoming with whether the salary if liveable or not. My partner (who is not in psyc) thinks its a faux pas to talk about this- but for me, this is an important consideration.

Likewise in the current internship interviews and lab interviews for incoming students, I always explain to them that it is important to be financially-wise. So I'm not sure if this question is in bad taste, as personally, I have always been very open with incoming students/interns.

Question for interviews with current postdocs- I am curious as to whether any of you have asked the current postdocs about the cost of living with the postdoc salary? I've asked this question at several interviews and at one site, the postdocs seemed to be taken aback by the question. They were like 'well this is already double of the internship pay, so it's much better'. But based on my google-abilities and perusing on reddit forums, the cost of that stipend would hardly cover rent and utilities for the year. Other current postdocs at other sites have been very forthcoming with whether the salary if liveable or not. My partner (who is not in psyc) thinks its a faux pas to talk about this- but for me, this is an important consideration.

Likewise in the current internship interviews and lab interviews for incoming students, I always explain to them that it is important to be financially-wise. So I'm not sure if this question is in bad taste, as personally, I have always been very open with incoming students/interns.

It's an ok question to ask, but I just don't think someone else's answer helps you much. They all have unique situations (partner with income, kids/no kids, previous debt/no debt) so affordability is dependent on their situation. The salary is posted, so I'd use that and look at your largest costs (rent/utilities) at locations you'd be comfortable living. Outside of the very high COL cities (SF, NYC, Seattle, etc) 50k can be pretty easy to live on comfortably.

Johns Hopkins All Childrens let interview applicants know that they will be notifying of offers/ if positions are filled the first week of Feb, has anyone from any of the tracks heard back yet? I know of three other people that also applied there that haven’t heard anything 🤔 trying to figure out if they’re behind schedule or if people actually heard back this week
I have not heard back yet either but for some reason I thought they were going to notify a little later than the first week of Feb! I think I got so braindead by the end of my interview days that I totally blanked when it came to writing down when they will get back to us... :rolleyes:

I reached out to them to see if I would get a reciprocal offer. I was told they had not yet met as a committee, and I ended up getting a rejection. I'm sure they will be notifying soon! I guess this depends on what track you applied to though!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from several sites re interviews? I've completed four interviews and have three more scheduled but there are three sites I applied to around 12/15 that I still haven't heard from. Granted one was from the APPIC directory, and two were formal positions that don't participate in the universal notification day, but seven weeks feels like a long time to be in limbo. Both sites that aren't UND confirmed receiving my application.

I'm getting a little worried about navigating this situation in a way that doesn't backfire. I feel like I'm supposed to just leave it alone but at least for the non-UND sites, am considering emailing to politely ask for a timeline (without mentioning UND- since UND signals "clinical" to a lot of people, and the site I am most interested in ). Thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

With the APPCN rank certification date coming up, I want to email one of my top sites (non APPCN) to find out their interest in me, but I'm not sure how to word it. Any suggestions?

With the APPCN rank certification date coming up, I want to email one of my top sites (non APPCN) to find out their interest in me, but I'm not sure how to word it. Any suggestions?
I think you could start with what you wrote and add:

With the APPCN match rank order list submission deadline of tomorrow (2/10/2021, 11:59 EST), I wanted to check on my status as an applicant for the postdoctoral fellowship position at XX. I believe your training program would be a great fit for me, therefore, I wanted to reach out to check on my current standing if available.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from several sites re interviews? I've completed four interviews and have three more scheduled but there are three sites I applied to around 12/15 that I still haven't heard from. Granted one was from the APPIC directory, and two were formal positions that don't participate in the universal notification day, but seven weeks feels like a long time to be in limbo. Both sites that aren't UND confirmed receiving my application.

I'm getting a little worried about navigating this situation in a way that doesn't backfire. I feel like I'm supposed to just leave it alone but at least for the non-UND sites, am considering emailing to politely ask for a timeline (without mentioning UND- since UND signals "clinical" to a lot of people, and the site I am most interested in ). Thoughts? Has anyone else done this?
I personally have not done this - but I don't think a general inquiry to your application status would backfire. Maybe reach out to see? Are you sure they are taking post docs this year? I had contacted a few to ask this - a few never answered (I'm glad a never applied) and the other said they couldn't take the post doc announcement of the website.

So I was offered a non-UND fellowship position and asked for a few days (they gave me a week) to consider. The same day (2/8) in the afternoon I sent an email to my #1 ranked fellowship (UND) and have not heard back. I reached out to my TD and he recommended to email again or call today. Is it typical to have a few days for a site to send a response or am I over thinking it? It is a little early when considering UND timeline but I really really love my #1 choice and want to see if they would be willing to take me. I'm kind of in a weird headspace with this waiting game, especially because I am still doing interviews for other fellowships. Thoughts, recommendations? Maybe phone call today????

So I was offered a non-UND fellowship position and asked for a few days (they gave me a week) to consider. The same day (2/8) in the afternoon I sent an email to my #1 ranked fellowship (UND) and have not heard back. I reached out to my TD and he recommended to email again or call today. Is it typical to have a few days for a site to send a response or am I over thinking it? It is a little early when considering UND timeline but I really really love my #1 choice and want to see if they would be willing to take me. I'm kind of in a weird headspace with this waiting game, especially because I am still doing interviews for other fellowships. Thoughts, recommendations? Maybe phone call today????
I'd be curious to hear someone who has first-hand experience, but as someone also going through this postdoc process, that seems odd to me that they wouldn't respond more promptly. I would definitely contact them again, via email and/or phone. Congrats on your offer! I'm happy that the site gave you a week, that's awesome.