Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received offer from children’s Colorado?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok super weird - Baylor Scott and White had offered an interview and I just received an email that they rejected my application. LOL AWKWARD

• Wow
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
rejection email from Harvard/Cambridge Health Alliance adult psychotherapy and assessment today 01/27
rejection from palo alto va and captain james a lovette va substance use tracks on 01/25

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Would y’all recommend reaching out to sites that you haven’t heard anything from yet? I have two I’m still waiting on- they haven’t been posted on here or anything. It’s just getting a bit late in the process...

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear from Miami VA for the health psych positions?

Reactions: 1 users
Would y’all recommend reaching out to sites that you haven’t heard anything from yet? I have two I’m still waiting on- they haven’t been posted on here or anything. It’s just getting a bit late in the process...
Yes for sure! I reached out to two- one was a rejection and one said they are still looking over apps.

I totally get it though, January is almost over and I'm dying waiting on the last one lol

Yes for sure! I reached out to two- one was a rejection and one said they are still looking over apps.

I totally get it though, January is almost over and I'm dying waiting on the last one lol
OK I did it :) thanks for the push!

Rejection email from Harvard/Cambridge Health Alliance adult psychotherapy and assessment today 01/27

I received my rejection email today too. I am curious to know what are others' plans if they do not get accepted into a post doc position....

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my rejection email today too. I am curious to know what are others' plans if they do not get accepted into a post doc position....
1. cry
2. cold email places and ask if they have positions available
3. see if my cohort mates know if any of their previous practicum sites or internship sites are doing unofficial postdocs
4. keep eye open for positions posted on list servs
5. move back home, and my husband said he is willing to take his old job with the state to support us while I look for something if it really gets dire :’)

Invite to Child Study and Treatment Center, interview is 02/12. I AM BEYOND EXCITED!! This was def one of my top sites!!!!! This one also seemed like a far stretch for me. The email started out like “thank you for applying....” and i was like yeah I knew it but then I read the rest of it and I couldn’t believe it.

• Love
Invite to Child Study and Treatment Center, interview is 02/12. I AM BEYOND EXCITED!! This was def one of my top sites!!!!! This one also seemed like a far stretch for me. The email started out like “thank you for applying....” and i was like yeah I knew it but then I read the rest of it and I couldn’t believe it.
YAY!!!! Have fun during your interview!

Official Site Name: La Rabida Chicago Child Trauma Center
Date Invitation Received: 1/27
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Childhood Abuse and Trauma
Interview Dates Offered: 2/8 & 2/9
If & How you're staying sane: eating all of the snacks

• Love
1. cry
2. cold email places and ask if they have positions available
3. see if my cohort mates know if any of their previous practicum sites or internship sites are doing unofficial postdocs
4. keep eye open for positions posted on list servs
5. move back home, and my husband said he is willing to take his old job with the state to support us while I look for something if it really gets dire :’)
If you’re interested in state or federal sites lots of state hospitals and jails offer unofficial post docs. I know in CA these placements offer up to $90,000 in salary while you accrue hours for licensure. A lot of sites also offer supervision as well. That’s my back up plan. 😊

The only downside is that you have to wait for a position to open up. But last time I checked, here in CA, there were approximately four sites across the state currently hiring unlicensed psychologists.
You could also look into starting a private practice. I know many individuals from my program who took this route instead of an official Postdoc.

-EPPP expectations and support.
-Didactics/seminars
-Information about specific rotations and populations.
-Research opportunities/ is there time allocated for research?
-do they retain fellows for faculty positions?
-covid19 related changes/ expectations for Fellowship
-Caseload per week
-benefits? ( parking, cafeteria...)
I always ask about the working atmosphere, how people get along, etc. Definitely get a range of responses.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: Cleveland VA
Date Invitation Received: 1/27
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): SUD
Interview Dates Offered: 2/4/21 and asked me to confirm if that was possible and if not, they would offer other dates/times. Also, there are open houses on 1/29 and 2/2 from 10-noon. 2/2 might be different though for the open house :)

Reactions: 5 users
This was the last notification I was waiting for. I can finally stop checking my email. Woo hoo!

Official Site Name: Institute of the Living/Hartford Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/28
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult inpatient
Interview Dates Offered: 2/5, 2/8, 2/12
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix, Netflix, Netflix

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: The Family Institute at Northwestern University
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Postdoctoral Clinical Scholar Fellowship Program
Interview Dates Offered: 2/3
If & How you're staying sane: Not well tbh, I just want this all to be over!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got an email that the Mission Valley Primary Care Mental Health Integration and Behavioral Medicine Fellowship within the Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS)/ University of California, San Diego (UCSD) was filled and that they cancelled my interview for next week. Luckily I applied for two tracks there. I found it interesting they were willing to give a reciprocal offer given that all of their interview days were scheduled for next week...

Just got an email that the Mission Valley Primary Care Mental Health Integration and Behavioral Medicine Fellowship within the Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS)/ University of California, San Diego (UCSD) was filled and that they cancelled my interview for next week. Luckily I applied for two tracks there. I found it interesting they were willing to give a reciprocal offer given that all of their interview days were scheduled for next week...

If it's your top ranked applicant and you are a UND/match postdoc, you pull the trigger on that reciprocal offer as a program.

If it's your top ranked applicant and you are a UND/match postdoc, you pull the trigger on that reciprocal offer as a program.
I understand the process around it they want their top applicant which makes sense. I’ve just had multiple sites following the UND tell me they won’t make a reciprocal offer until they’ve finished interviewing. Just makes me question how competitive I am on paper if my interview doesn’t matter.

I understand the process around it they want their top applicant which makes sense. I’ve just had multiple sites following the UND tell me they won’t make a reciprocal offer until they’ve finished interviewing. Just makes me question how competitive I am on paper if my interview doesn’t matter.

I've never seen ranking change much after interview besides the occasional person drop after coming off douchey. Rarely boosts someone much at all.

My understanding of VA San Diego / UCSD is that they only invite their top 3 applicants for each track/position to interview. So if you got an interview, you’re quite competitive :) At least that was true for the past several years; not sure if that has changed with COVID.

I’ve interviewed for only non-UND sites (T32s, etc) and the prospect of navigating offers is stressing me tf out as all the sites are on different timelines and their process is pretty opaque/idiosyncratic to site. I ALMOST miss the match 😂

Nothing like waiting until the last minute...

Official Site Name: Henry Ford
Date Invitation Received: 1/29
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):pediatric Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 2/5; 2/8
If & How you're staying sane: wine and Netflix

Official Site Name: Mcgovern Medical School (Houston)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums: Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 2/1-2/8
If & How you're staying sane: binge watching movies/series and baking

Anyone still waiting on Mt Sinai DBT, Hartford Hospital Adolescent Inpatient, Long Island Medical Center/Zucker Hillside Hospital Adolescent Inpatient or heard anything? My only three sites left, I'm getting antsy! My cohort mate got an invite to Hartford but for a different track, so unsure if I should count it out yet.

Also, does anyone here have familiarity with Primary Children's Hospital? I would love to DM you for info, if possible.
I was an intern at Primary's last year, feel free to DM!

Official Site Name: Memphis VAMC
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums: Trauma Recovery
Interview Dates Offered: 2/4, 2/5, 2/10, 2/17

Official Site Name: Hartford Hospital/Institute of Living
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 2/2, 2/5, 2/9

Official Site Name: University of South Florida - Morsani College of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 1/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): phone call
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25

question to all! What’s your ratio of applications : interviews?
14 applications, 4 interviews.

I suppose the applications have been very competitive, with lots of good candidates.

Hey everyone! I'm wondering if you all are planning on completing a postdoc in the state you hope to become licensed in/settle in, or if there are people who are considering postdocs with the plan to relocate immediately afterwards? I am debating between location and training. I'm also trying to assess the licensure process generally and how that would look if I were to complete a postdoc in a state other than where I want to settle.

Hey everyone! I'm wondering if you all are planning on completing a postdoc in the state you hope to become licensed in/settle in, or if there are people who are considering postdocs with the plan to relocate immediately afterwards? I am debating between location and training. I'm also trying to assess the licensure process generally and how that would look if I were to complete a postdoc in a state other than where I want to settle.
1. I am hoping to complete in a post doc in the state where we hope to settle just to avoid moving again, but it really isn’t a big deal to do postdoc in one place and then move.
2. I love your icon!!!

Take a look at your long-term plan. May be more of an issue if you're in a specialty area. I took a "go to the best training site" approach, and went to postdoc in a state that I never entertained the thought of staying long-term. One upside is that if you have moved around quite a bit, your network is fairly wide geographically.

Last one!

Official Site Name: Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 2/1
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Center for Childhood Resilience
Interview Dates Offered: 2/3 & 2/4 (reeeeally short notice...)
If & How you're staying sane: Trying out new oreo flavors

• Love
Last one!

Official Site Name: Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 2/1
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Center for Childhood Resilience
Interview Dates Offered: 2/3 & 2/4 (reeeeally short notice...)
If & How you're staying sane: Trying out new oreo flavors

Can you say a bit more about the oreo flavors? This is important info!!!

• Haha