Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was offered a non-UND fellowship position and asked for a few days (they gave me a week) to consider. The same day (2/8) in the afternoon I sent an email to my #1 ranked fellowship (UND) and have not heard back. I reached out to my TD and he recommended to email again or call today. Is it typical to have a few days for a site to send a response or am I over thinking it? It is a little early when considering UND timeline but I really really love my #1 choice and want to see if they would be willing to take me. I'm kind of in a weird headspace with this waiting game, especially because I am still doing interviews for other fellowships. Thoughts, recommendations? Maybe phone call today????
I would definitely call if I were you, just to make it more personable and make sure you are 100% being heard and your email is not being sent to junk or something crazy like that. Most places wont give us a week to consider, so your #1 choice should understand the situation :) Congrats on the offer, that is so exciting!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be curious to hear someone who has first-hand experience, but as someone also going through this postdoc process, that seems odd to me that they wouldn't respond more promptly. I would definitely contact them again, via email and/or phone. Congrats on your offer! I'm happy that the site gave you a week, that's awesome.
Ya - and the TD is super responsive. She has answered my emails within 24 hours. But I don't know what happens on the other side of how they determine making a reciprocal offer. But who knows - maybe she took some days off? Thank you! Oh yeah they are wonderful for giving me a week! The greatest part of this experience is that the offer is from my #2 ranked site so I win either way!

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely call if I were you, just to make it more personable and make sure you are 100% being heard and your email is not being sent to junk or something crazy like that. Most places wont give us a week to consider, so your #1 choice should understand the situation :) Congrats on the offer, that is so exciting!!!
Ya I think I may call today and follow up with another email. I'm kind of eager to just get this out of the way and settled. Thank you so much - it is exciting!!! And it is soooo validating to know people value my skills!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
If a site offers someone else a reciprocal offer, they will let the other applicants know that position has closed before UND, right? I know they are supposed to, but is that the general practice?
Has any one had this happen yet?

If a site offers someone else a reciprocal offer, they will let the other applicants know that position has closed before UND, right? I know they are supposed to, but is that the general practice?
Has any one had this happen yet?
I've had it happen for two positions at the same site. They sent an email separately for each position saying they were not longer recruiting for the position after giving a reciprocal offer.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's it folks - my #1 site could not offer a reciprocal offer but ya know that's ah otay. I accepted the original offer and super grateful as I was having doubts I even asked for a reciprocal offer from another site. I still don't feel like I can celebrate yet though lol I am waiting for it to settle in.

Reactions: 16 users
I think that's it folks - my #1 site could not offer a reciprocal offer but ya know that's ah otay. I accepted the original offer and super grateful as I was having doubts I even asked for a reciprocal offer from another site. I still don't feel like I can celebrate yet though lol I am waiting for it to settle in.
Congrats!!

Got rejections from my #3 site and #7 sites yesterday. Those definitely stung. I have 4 sites left, and they're all on different or ambiguous timelines. These next 1-2 weeks are going to suck...

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Got rejections from my #3 site and #7 sites yesterday. Those definitely stung. I have 4 sites left, and they're all on different or ambiguous timelines. These next 1-2 weeks are going to suck...
Hi!!! Just wanted to say of the seven sites I interviewed at, I’ve been rejected from three. Haven’t heard from the rest. It definitely sucks so I’m sending you big hugs and I totally feel your pain!

• Care
Is not hearing anything from interview sites a good thing? No one has reached out to say I'm no longer under consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that likely means they haven't given any reciprocal offers, so the position is still open, and you will likely hear on UND day! I haven't heard from four sites, all UND, so that's just what I'm assuming. I think they let you know in advance if the position fills, and the only way a UND position would fill is through a reciprocal offer.

I personally have not done this - but I don't think a general inquiry to your application status would backfire. Maybe reach out to see? Are you sure they are taking post docs this year? I had contacted a few to ask this - a few never answered (I'm glad a never applied) and the other said they couldn't take the post doc announcement of the website.
They are definitely accepting postdocs, both non-APPIC sites confirmed receiving my application. I think I'm going to just reach out to all three. I'm pretty sure the APPIC site is going to end in a rejection but at least it'll be one less thing in limbo.

Accepted the offer from my dream postdoc site (a T32) and emailed the rest of the sites I interviewed with/had received offers from to withdraw. Ahhh I’m so relieved to know what I’m doing next. Fingers crossed for everyone, hang in there for a little bit longer!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Accepted the offer from my dream postdoc site (a T32) and emailed the rest of the sites I interviewed with/had received offers from to withdraw. Ahhh I’m so relieved to know what I’m doing next. Fingers crossed for everyone, hang in there for a little bit longer!
yay!!!!

Big congrats!!!

I think that likely means they haven't given any reciprocal offers, so the position is still open, and you will likely hear on UND day! I haven't heard from four sites, all UND, so that's just what I'm assuming. I think they let you know in advance if the position fills, and the only way a UND position would fill is through a reciprocal offer.

That is how our program works.

Hello all,
has anyone heard anything about McLennan juvenile detention facility? Recently had an interview, and things just seemed...off. Would love to get another perspective if anyone has that.

Was rejected from two places this weekend, waiting on two more sites. morale=low.

• Care
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Was wondering if I could get your opinion on this issue. I accepted a postdoc position and emailed the other site that I was still waiting to hear from to communicate my decision and thank them for their interest in my application (although it has been 3 weeks since they contacted me, non UND position).

The clinical director asked me which place did I accept. What would you do? Answer, or not? It makes me wonder what is the purpose of this question? When I received rejection emails I did not ask the sites which candidates they chose over me, so why would I disclose such information?

Was wondering if I could get your opinion on this issue. I accepted a postdoc position and emailed the other site that I was still waiting to hear from to communicate my decision and thank them for their interest in my application (although it has been 3 weeks since they contacted me, non UND position).

The clinical director asked me which place did I accept. What would you do? Answer, or not? It makes me wonder what is the purpose of this question? When I received rejection emails I did not ask the sites which candidates they chose over me, so why would I disclose such information?

Personally, I would answer. Sites are curious for a number of reasons (e.g., wanting to know if they need to move their timeline, if applicants are consistently choosing certain sites over theirs, questioning changes they may need to make). Especially for some niche areas that are small worlds, always good to maintain good relationships in case of potential positions in the future.

Reactions: 7 users

Curiosity. I had one site ask (during our interview) if we still had more interviews after theirs because they had moved them later this year and wanted to see if it felt too "late" before UND. I think people are naturally curious of where they stand in comparison to others. In other words, what WisNeuro said!

I matched in the APPCN match! So relived and excited. For next year's applicants, the email came in at 7:49am :)

• Love
I matched too-APPCN! So happy and relieved! Lets goooo!

• Love
Nervous about this Monday! Do sites usually call or email? I wonder if sites on West Coast also call at 10:00 am Eastern because it's their 7:00 am.

Do sites usually call or email? I wonder if sites on West Coast also call at 10:00 am Eastern because it's their 7:00 am.
Yes, everybody should be making their 1st offers at 10am EST via phone. If a site has a bunch of positions, it may take the TD a few mins to inform all of their first choices.

Sites should only email if they aren't able to reach you or can only leave a voicemail. Good luck everybody!

Out of curiosity, do TDs call to make their offers on UND? I interviewed for multiple tracks separately for the same site, and am wondering whether I would get a call from the TD and learn my outcome of each track by the TD vs. track leads from each position.

Out of curiosity, do TDs call to make their offers on UND? I interviewed for multiple tracks separately for the same site, and am wondering whether I would get a call from the TD and learn my outcome of each track by the TD vs. track leads from each position.

We tell our postdocs if they’ve received offers from more than one track at our hospital on the same call. Sounds like “You are being offered the psycho oncology residency and the pediatric psychology residency.”

Ya'll I am LITERALLY dying (and using the last of my life energy to type this) while waiting for the last site to get back to me after my interview. They said "early this week" but it's already Thursday! Is it good that I haven't heard back? Not good? Put me out of my misery, man!

Also, what are coping skills lol

Ya'll I am LITERALLY dying (and using the last of my life energy to type this) while waiting for the last site to get back to me after my interview. They said "early this week" but it's already Thursday! Is it good that I haven't heard back? Not good? Put me out of my misery, man!

as in they will let you know if they are no longer considering you? I was assuming not hearing anything was good? ug this is so stressful

I FEEL YOU!!!! Two of my sites said early this week and I haven't heard anything either. it makes me nervous too! But i guess if we haven't heard anything, that might be a good thing? Better than a rejection...

I was unexpectedly offered a post doc position this week from my #2 site and was able to ask my top site for a reciprocal offer. They did and I just got my official offer letter!! Ah I’m so thrilled!!!! I didn’t even get an interview here for internship last year and now I get to be a post doc! Good luck on Monday everyone!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I was unexpectedly offered a post doc position this week from my #2 site and was able to ask my top site for a reciprocal offer. They did and I just got my official offer letter!! Ah I’m so thrilled!!!! I didn’t even get an interview here for internship last year and now I get to be a post doc! Good luck on Monday everyone!!!!!
Wow so exciting!! Miracles do happen! 🤩🥳Big big congrats

Reactions: 3 users
I can't tell if I am reading into my email exchanges with one site I interviewed with or if they are just very friendly. But a smiley face emoji could be a positive sign right?! Guess I will find out Monday :)
Anyone else having email responses that seem like they could be getting signals?

I can't tell if I am reading into my email exchanges with one site I interviewed with or if they are just very friendly. But a smiley face emoji could be a positive sign right?! Guess I will find out Monday :)
Anyone else having email responses that seem like they could be getting signals?
Ugh it’s like dating “did we hit it off during the date or were they just being nice.”

It can mess with your mind!

• Haha
Accepted an offer from Pepperdine University for their Clinical Sport Psychology Postdoc position! I AM SO RELIEVED OMGGGGG.

BESTTTT OF LUCK TO EVERYONE ON MONDAY!!!!!:love::giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I had the same feeling about one of my sites and they ended up making me an offer so you could be on to something! Good luck and keep us updated on what happens!

Welp, the postdoc process has not gone as planned. My goal is a clinical child postdoc with opportunities for research and/or trauma specialization if possible. I applied to 7 sites that I felt were good/great fits within my geographical limitations. I got interviews from all 7 sites. However, I've received notification from 5 of the 7 sites that the positions have been filled prior to the UND. Out of the remaining two, one I would readily accept if I happen to be offered the position, and the other I'm quite unsure about after the interview.

All to say, I may very well end up going into "phase II" of the postdoc application process. Does anyone have personal experience or know of someone who was in this position? How often do programs actually update their UPPD profiles after the UND to reflect unfilled positions? I'm just trying to have a game plan in place for after Monday if needed.

• Care
Welp, the postdoc process has not gone as planned. My goal is a clinical child postdoc with opportunities for research and/or trauma specialization if possible. I applied to 7 sites that I felt were good/great fits within my geographical limitations. I got interviews from all 7 sites. However, I've received notification from 5 of the 7 sites that the positions have been filled prior to the UND. Out of the remaining two, one I would readily accept if I happen to be offered the position, and the other I'm quite unsure about after the interview.

All to say, I may very well end up going into "phase II" of the postdoc application process. Does anyone have personal experience or know of someone who was in this position? How often do programs actually update their UPPD profiles after the UND to reflect unfilled positions? I'm just trying to have a game plan in place for after Monday if needed.
I am in the same position. I applied to four, two already said no. From the remaining rest, one is part-time, the other one is very far from my family. I have been devastated and an emotional roller-coaster. I am so burnt out by my internship and stressed by my internship and now this. I am so not doing well. I really hope there is a phase II...

• Care
  • Sad
I am in the same position. I applied to four, two already said no. From the remaining rest, one is part-time, the other one is very far from my family. I have been devastated and an emotional roller-coaster. I am so burnt out by my internship and stressed by my internship and now this. I am so not doing well. I really hope

Last year many sites updated their UPPD listings within a week after the UND for unfilled positions. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I have heard good things about "phase 2" and the generally availability of PDs after UND. I have been told there are more positions than applicants, of course it sounds like you might have different constraints with specialization and location. I hope that can ease some anxiety--also what helps me is knowing that I don't HAVE to get a PD and can just start working, again this is specific to my interests and needs and may not apply to everyone.

An example from my process, a PD I was really interested in lost funding after I applied. They seemingly were interested in interviewing me for other tracks, however gave me the option of waiting to hear from them post-UND about their funding situation. They believed funding would open up later in the year. SO maybe there is hope that funding will become more available across the board throughout the year. I imagine COVID knocked some funding out for many places.

Reactions: 3 users
Random question..... for 2 year post doc positions.... is it possible to complete 1 year at a site and then transfer to a different site to complete the 2nd year?