Postponing MCAT - broken hand!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scheduled for the March 28th beating but I broke my 5th metacarpal on my writing hand a few days ago and i'm in a cast/splint for the next 6 weeks... my plan was to get my application in as soon as possible but I'm rescheduling for the May 2nd date in Boca Raton...

I was wondering is my timing is going to work out - is it reasonable to expect the MCAT results to be out by the end of May and the rest of my application to be processed in the following 4-6 weeks? Is there anything I can do to expedite that in the meantime?

Members don't see this ad.

The ONLY thing you need to worry about is this: will your MCAT scores be out on the day that AMCAS sends its first batch of applications to medical schools? I took my MCAT in late May of this past year, and the score was ready the day before the first batch was sent out.

Assuming MCAT scores take about a month to come out, you are MORE than fine. Remember,y ou can submit your AMCAS without your MCAT score. All that matters, and it really doesn't even matter I guess, is that when a school first gets your AMCAS (whichw as June 24th this year), your MCAT score is on it. Yours will be, good luck! :)

First of all, you realize that the test in on computer right. No writing. (of course if you can't type with your injury then that is a problem)

Second, you should be fine with timing. Your scores will come out exactly a month after your test date (June 2nd in your case). As long as you get started on your application as soon as it is available (secondaries too), then you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you realize that the test in on computer right. No writing. (of course if you can't type with your injury then that is a problem)

Second, you should be fine with timing. Your scores will come out exactly a month after your test date (June 2nd in your case). As long as you get started on your application as soon as it is available (secondaries too), then you should be fine.

My typing is super slow now I can't use 2 fingers on my dominant hand. :(

OP, I can tell you with certainty that even if you take the MCAT on May 2nd, you will still have about a 3 week cushion. You will be in the first batch of acceptances along with everyone else, if you want to be. You will be at no disadvantage whatsoever.

The ONLY thing you need to worry about is this: will your MCAT scores be out on the day that AMCAS sends its first batch of applications to medical schools? I took my MCAT in late May of this past year, and the score was ready the day before the first batch was sent out.

Assuming MCAT scores take about a month to come out, you are MORE than fine. Remember,y ou can submit your AMCAS without your MCAT score. All that matters, and it really doesn't even matter I guess, is that when a school first gets your AMCAS (whichw as June 24th this year), your MCAT score is on it. Yours will be, good luck! :)

How do you know June 24th is the first day Med Schools receives AMCAS apps? Also, do you think taking a June 18 MCAT puts an applicant at a disadvantage for applying?

How do you know June 24th is the first day Med Schools receives AMCAS apps? Also, do you think taking a June 18 MCAT puts an applicant at a disadvantage for applying?

AMCAS said so this cycle when they were first sending out the first batch of processed apps. In this case, the OP is not worried about being able to submit on the first day AMCAS is submittable (~June 4th), they are worried about the MCAT score not being in. Since AMCAS processes the first batch of apps very quickly, within a day or two, the MCAT score will not be on the OP's processed app (June 5th, 6th, whatever) if they take it on May 10th or whatever. Yet the OP is taking it on May 2nd, so that isn't an issue either. However, the processed app will not be sent to medical schools until the first day that all processed apps up to that point are sent, which in 2008 was June 24th. As long as the MCAT score is updated onto AMCAS by that date (may be slightly different this year), an applicant is fine in terms of being "as early as possible".

I'm talking myself in circles here, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

For June 18th MCAT, you won't get your scores till about July 18th, which IS, in fact, after the June 24th date. It may put you a little later than optimal, but the disadvantage is minuscule, if any.

Moral of the story is: if you want to be "as early as possible" (how much the first week or two matters is probably insignificant, in fact I can almost definitely say it is), take your MCAT by May 20th or so.

AMCAS said so this cycle when they were first sending out the first batch of processed apps. In this case, the OP is not worried about being able to submit on the first day AMCAS is submittable (~June 4th), they are worried about the MCAT score not being in. Since AMCAS processes the first batch of apps very quickly, within a day or two, the MCAT score will not be on the OP's processed app (June 5th, 6th, whatever) if they take it on May 10th or whatever. Yet the OP is taking it on May 2nd, so that isn't an issue either. However, the processed app will not be sent to medical schools until the first day that all processed apps up to that point are sent, which in 2008 was June 24th. As long as the MCAT score is updated onto AMCAS by that date (may be slightly different this year), an applicant is fine in terms of being "as early as possible".

I'm talking myself in circles here, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

For June 18th MCAT, you won't get your scores till about July 18th, which IS, in fact, after the June 24th date. It may put you a little later than optimal, but the disadvantage is minuscule, if any.

I catch what you are saying. That is what I wanted to hear I suppose. I am planning on retaking. I am still waiting on a couple of schools for this cycle, but if worse comes to worse, I will have to retake and apply again. I just wanted to make sure I am putting my best foot forward. I will have the rest of my application submitted on the first day possible.