Potential Post-Bac Pre Med Hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ericles

Medical Assistant; 1st-time Med School Applicant
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new here and I've been reading all the great insider info, though some is a bit older. I've got some questions and need some me-specific advice. Sorry in advance for the giant post.
I'm 30, a true career-changer, with a Humanities degree. Here are my stats:

3.7 GPA
32 ACT
No sciences, little math
Very little healthcare experience as of yet
Heavy in extracurriculars, volunteerism/community service, and leadership experiences.
I also worked abroad for a year and a half as a volunteer.
I have strong proficiency in three other languages, though not fluency.

I know a Post-Bacc Pre-Med is for me, though I have no idea which one (Hopkins is the dream). I'm guessing summer 2017 is the most realistic (and probably earliest possible) to enter a program, with Med School in 2018 (also at the very earliest). Am I right on that?

I've just gotten my BLS CPR cert, I'm getting my EMT basic next month, and my CNA after that. (I've read tons of arguments on those: given where I live, I need every advantage just to get some experience.) Most likely, I'll take the GRE this spring as I never had to take the SAT (though Hopkins said my old ACT was fine...) I'll be doing Math classes this coming spring/summer/fall to get me up through Calc.

I know a need loads more in the CERVS (clinical experience, research, volunteering, & shadowing) area, which I'm working on. How much do I need for to be competitive for a post-bacc?

What else should I be doing? Am I crazy? Is this all wrong?

Tear me apart! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm new here and I've been reading all the great insider info, though some is a bit older. I've got some questions and need some me-specific advice. Sorry in advance for the giant post.
I'm 30, a true career-changer, with a Humanities degree. Here are my stats:

3.7 GPA
32 ACT
No sciences, little math
Very little healthcare experience as of yet
Heavy in extracurriculars, volunteerism/community service, and leadership experiences.
I also worked abroad for a year and a half as a volunteer.
I have strong proficiency in three other languages, though not fluency.

I know a Post-Bacc Pre-Med is for me, though I have no idea which one (Hopkins is the dream). I'm guessing summer 2017 is the most realistic (and probably earliest possible) to enter a program, with Med School in 2018 (also at the very earliest). Am I right on that?

I've just gotten my BLS CPR cert, I'm getting my EMT basic next month, and my CNA after that. (I've read tons of arguments on those: given where I live, I need every advantage just to get some experience.) Most likely, I'll take the GRE this spring as I never had to take the SAT (though Hopkins said my old ACT was fine...) I'll be doing Math classes this coming spring/summer/fall to get me up through Calc.

I know a need loads more in the CERVS (clinical experience, research, volunteering, & shadowing) area, which I'm working on. How much do I need for to be competitive for a post-bacc?

What else should I be doing? Am I crazy? Is this all wrong?

Tear me apart! :)

The pre-reqs usually take 2 years so if you could get into a program starting next summer or fall (2016), then hypothetically you could apply during your second year (2017) and matriculate the following year (2018). When you would take the MCAT and how to squeeze in clinical work is the tricky part.

Is Hopkins the dream because of the name or location? There are lots of great programs on the AAMC post-bacc site, do you have any geographical ties?

The pre-reqs usually take 2 years so if you could get into a program starting next summer or fall (2016), then hypothetically you could apply during your second year (2017) and matriculate the following year (2018). When you would take the MCAT and how to squeeze in clinical work is the tricky part.

Is Hopkins the dream because of the name or location? There are lots of great programs on the AAMC post-bacc site, do you have any geographical ties?

Thanks for reply LostinLift. How's Med School going for you?

Actually the programs I've been looking at takes 9-14 months and MCAT prep and testing is part of it. They're designed to move straight into Med School w/o a glide year if so desired. There's also the linkage program that you'd agree to before hand. Basically, you skip the application/MCAT part but you have to go to the selected school (if you meet all the requirements)

It seems very unlikely to get in to a 2016 program because the due dates are in February. I wouldn't have enough clinical experience by then or the Calculus pre req. Right?

Hopkins is the dream because what the program offers is my ideal. The name would carry weight with Med School admissions, but that's not my primary reason. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into my post-bacc with no clinical volunteering or shadowing. I took intro to chem and refreshed my math via Khan Academy during the summer, and then started classes that fall semester. I started shadowing and volunteering a few weeks after my program started. I'm not sure if this path would get you into a program like Hopkins, but it worked in my smaller state school program.

What classes require a calculus pre-req? I took calculus the first semester of my post-bacc.

What is the schedule like in a program that allows you to finish in 9-14 months? I'm doing five straight semesters and taking the MCAT one month after I finish biochem, genetics, etc. Based on course sequences at my school I wouldn't be able to move any faster.

I went into my post-bacc with no clinical volunteering or shadowing. I took intro to chem and refreshed my math via Khan Academy during the summer, and then started classes that fall semester. I started shadowing and volunteering a few weeks after my program started. I'm not sure if this path would get you into a program like Hopkins, but it worked in my smaller state school program.

What classes require a calculus pre-req? I took calculus the first semester of my post-bacc.

What is the schedule like in a program that allows you to finish in 9-14 months? I'm doing five straight semesters and taking the MCAT one month after I finish biochem, genetics, etc. Based on course sequences at my school I wouldn't be able to move any faster.

Was your post-bacc a structured program (with a dedicated group, advising, MCAT prep etc) or more DIY? May I ask what program you did?
Hopkins' physics dept. requires calc before taking physics. Since I wouldn't be able to get in before summer of 2017, I might as well take it beforehand. I wouldn't mind having the decreased load during post-bacc anyway.

I'm new to the research of this process, but Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, and Temple (among others) all boast 9-14 months of a dedicated program. Outside of relevant CERVS experience, I'm not sure holding a job is possible during these programs because they're so intensive.

Everything I've been told so far leads me to be believe it would be almost impossible to get into a post-bacc w/o CERVS, which means enrolling by this summer is out of the question. Do you, or does someone else, have information to the contrary? I mean clearly you got in to one, but that's the first I've heard of it.

Thanks!

I'm in a structured post-bacc with a dedicated group, advising, and an MCAT prep course. I'll PM you the program!

You should be able to take calculus during your post-bacc as a pre-req for physics unless you take physics your first semester? I took it as a pre-req for physics (semester three) during my first semester.

With a 3.7 you should consider a program with linkages. These save the gap year and take large measures of uncertainty out of the process.

Except Columbia, which is around 80k in tuition and where about half wash out at some point during the program, and where less than 20% of their students link. Literally every.single.member of their faculty is of a certain religious minority, and Schindler died in abject poverty.

Was your post-bacc a structured program (with a dedicated group, advising, MCAT prep etc) or more DIY?

In and of itself, structure is worth little, and the advice you get from Goro, Gyngyn, DrMidlife, and others will be more beneficial than 99/100 premed advisers you meet. The one I met with was either offering advice in bad faith or was simply not a very bright person.

Last edited:
Hello!

No sciences, little math
:)

Actually the programs I've been looking at takes 9-14 months and MCAT prep and testing is part of it.
:)

If you have no prereqs and expect to go to school full time while prepping for the MCAT and (I'm assuming) work and/or volunteer I think you will be unpleasantly surprised. At a minimum, almost no reasonable person would recommend taking the new MCAT without first taking biochem. To take biochem you need at least bio1 and chem1 (and really probably organic 1). At some schools (like mine) you need chem 1+2, Ochem 1+2 as prereqs just to take biochem. So that's two years of prereq's, just to take biochem, meaning a total of 5 semesters before even prepping for the MCAT. Don't damage your chances of ever being a doctor by trying to rush the process. There is a graveyard of broken souls (the 50% who don't get into med school every year) who have made that mistake already. Us non-trad's should be smart enough to recognize that trap and steer clear of it, even if the detour means an extra year or two :D

Take your time and do the MCAT right the first time. The last thing you want is to need to explain in an interview how your strength as a non trad is "experience and wisdom" while at the same time admitting you made the classic blunder being under prepared for your first MCAT, even if you make great numbers the 2nd time around.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have no prereqs and expect to go to school full time while prepping for the MCAT and (I'm assuming) work and/or volunteer I think you will be unpleasantly surprised. At a minimum, almost no reasonable person would recommend taking the new MCAT without first taking biochem. To take biochem you need at least bio1 and chem1 (and really probably organic 1). At some schools (like mine) you need chem 1+2, Ochem 1+2 as prereqs just to take biochem. So that's two years of prereq's, just to take biochem, meaning a total of 5 semesters before even prepping for the MCAT. Don't damage your chances of ever being a doctor by trying to rush the process. There is a graveyard of broken souls (the 50% who don't get into med school every year) who have made that mistake already. Us non-trad's should be smart enough to recognize that trap and steer clear of it, even if the detour means an extra year or two :D

Take your time and do the MCAT right the first time. The last thing you want is to need to explain in an interview how your strength as a non trad is "experience and wisdom" while at the same time admitting you made the classic blunder being under prepared for your first MCAT, even if you make great numbers the 2nd time around.

Thanks for the input. All of what you're saying is why I'm waiting until summer of 2017 to enter a post-bacc program. Are you aware that's what I'm talking about? It seems like you're talking about traditional pre-med. Did I misunderstand?
I intend to choose an intensive program (around 9-14 months) so the whole "5 semesters" thing doesn't quite apply. The courses are accelerated and/or condensed. I don't plan to work during the program, but do I do plan to do a lot of shadowing etc before I enter the program in 2017 (hopefully). I'm not rushing because I've started studying for the MCAT now. :-D

Last edited:
With a 3.7 you should consider a program with linkages. These save the gap year and take large measures of uncertainty out of the process.

Except Columbia, which is around 80k in tuition and where about half wash out at some point during the program, and where less than 20% of their students link. Literally every.single.member of their faculty is of a certain religious minority, and Schindler died in abject poverty.

In and of itself, structure is worth little, and the advice you get from Goro, Gyngyn, DrMidlife, and others will be more beneficial than 99/100 premed advisers you meet. The one I met with was either offering advice in bad faith or was simply not a very bright person.

I agree on the linkages. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with advising and structure. Did you attend a structured post-bacc? May I ask where?