Practice Management-Is it any good at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTD2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was curious to see what you guys are receiving in terms of practice management courses at your schools. It has been my impression that most schools are severely lacking in this field (including mine) and want to know whether anyone is experiencing anything else.

Txs

Members don't see this ad.

We had a group from the pride institute come and give us the practice management seminars. Pride does prac. management seminars for gen dentists all over the country. The group lectured for two semesters to us as seniors and were also lecturing to the underclasses somewhat too.

They did well, the guys going into private practice liked it, I was going on for 6 more years to a specialty so it was kinda a waste of time for me, but it was good for the rest of the class.

On the same note, what schools have practice management classes/seminars other than:

UoP
Case
??? Any others???

Members don't see this ad :)
jdcinza13 said:
On the same note, what schools have practice management classes/seminars other than:

UoP
Case
??? Any others???

Mine was MUSoD in milwaukee.

NYU College of Dentistry Engages Top Practice Management Consulting Group to Bring Business World Approaches to Academic Dentistry

-- Progressive Step in Dental Education --

NYU College of Dentistry, the nation?s largest academic dental center, has entered into a collaborative agreement with Levin Group, Inc., the leading practice management consulting firm in the U.S., to identify and implement a more comprehensive approach to practice management in dental education. Levin Group will provide NYU faculty, students and alumni with the necessary business skills to establish and run a successful, profitable private practice.

According to Dr. Michael C. Alfano, Dean of the NYU College of Dentistry, ?Like every dental college, NYU wants its alumni to continue to be successful. Success in dentistry is a combination of high ethical standards, diagnostic acumen, clinical prowess, and business skills, culminating in high-quality care for patients and great fulfillment for dentists. Nationwide, in fact, when new dental graduates are asked what additional training they wish they had received in dental school, their number-one answer is business training.
?If a dentist is struggling to make ends meet, he or she will have less opportunity to take continuing education courses, may not be able to support an adequate staff, and may feel increased pressure, all of which will have an unfavorable impact both on patient care and on the dentist?s personal life. The NYU/Levin Group collaboration provides a unique opportunity to merge NYU?s excellent clinical training with a proven practice management method, to effectively optimize practice performance and ensure professional success.?
The NYU College of Dentistry will collaborate with Levin Group in the following areas:

? Developing practice management curricula for predoctoral and postdoctoral programs that incorporate the Levin Group Method?, the only proven practice management solution which covers the essential elements of dental practice management and marketing;

? Developing a customized, comprehensive training program for the entire NYU College of Dentistry faculty. This program will cover key aspects of practice management;

? Assessing and providing ?best-model? solutions to optimize all aspects of the NYU Dental Clinics operations, including scheduling, treatment delivery efficiencies, patient management, financial performance, case presentation, and team effectiveness;

? Delivering an exclusive series of continuing education programs taught by Dr. Roger P. Levin, focused on general practice and specialty practice management and marketing.

Founded in 1865, the NYU College of Dentistry is the third oldest dental
school and the largest comprehensive oral health care center in the nation,
graduating more than eight percent of the nation?s dentists annually. NYU
College of Dentistry is a leading source for dental care in New York City,
and a national leader in dental education, research, and policy issues in dentistry.

Since 1985, the Levin Group, founded by Roger P. Levin, DDS, MBA, has successfully consulted with more than 7,500 dental practices worldwide. Nearly 600 dentists enter Levin Group?s 12-month consulting programs each year. More than 98 percent of enrolled practices achieve significant growth within 12 months by incorporating statistically valid, proven business methods into practices.

Brocnizer2007 said:
NYU College of Dentistry Engages Top Practice Management Consulting Group to Bring Business World Approaches to Academic Dentistry
...... Nationwide, in fact, when new dental graduates are asked what additional training they wish they had received in dental school, their number-one answer is business training........

True. I'm one of them :(
wish my school had that consulting group! The Practice Mangement class is a f.ing waste of time. Once in a while we had interesting guest speakers but most of the time, it's just common sense (or nonsense, depends how u look at it) class, such a waste.

Not great at San Antonio :thumbdown: ...Laurel and Hardy get up and tell jokes for 4 hours every couple of weeks. I think it's a pilot program or something -- might be good in like 15 years if they work on it.

txdent2be
wait until senior year at san antonio, it gets a lot better (and more pertinent) - i just turned in a 29 page business plan complete w/demographics of a particular location, tons of excel sheets with projected numbers for EVERY expense for 5 years, philosophy and mission statement, office design, etc, etc, etc

Yeh, I have heard about this program at NYU. From what I understand from some students, it has not been implemented in the classrooms yet. I believe they are still in the review stage of the current curriculum. Sounds like it will take some time.

Brocnizer2007 said:

-- Progressive Step in Dental Education --

NYU College of Dentistry, the nation?s largest academic dental center, has entered into a collaborative agreement with Levin Group, Inc., the leading practice management consulting firm in the U.S., to identify and implement a more comprehensive approach to practice management in dental education. Levin Group will provide NYU faculty, students and alumni with the necessary business skills to establish and run a successful, profitable private practice.

According to Dr. Michael C. Alfano, Dean of the NYU College of Dentistry, ?Like every dental college, NYU wants its alumni to continue to be successful. Success in dentistry is a combination of high ethical standards, diagnostic acumen, clinical prowess, and business skills, culminating in high-quality care for patients and great fulfillment for dentists. Nationwide, in fact, when new dental graduates are asked what additional training they wish they had received in dental school, their number-one answer is business training.
?If a dentist is struggling to make ends meet, he or she will have less opportunity to take continuing education courses, may not be able to support an adequate staff, and may feel increased pressure, all of which will have an unfavorable impact both on patient care and on the dentist?s personal life. The NYU/Levin Group collaboration provides a unique opportunity to merge NYU?s excellent clinical training with a proven practice management method, to effectively optimize practice performance and ensure professional success.?
The NYU College of Dentistry will collaborate with Levin Group in the following areas:

? Developing practice management curricula for predoctoral and postdoctoral programs that incorporate the Levin Group Method?, the only proven practice management solution which covers the essential elements of dental practice management and marketing;

? Developing a customized, comprehensive training program for the entire NYU College of Dentistry faculty. This program will cover key aspects of practice management;

? Assessing and providing ?best-model? solutions to optimize all aspects of the NYU Dental Clinics operations, including scheduling, treatment delivery efficiencies, patient management, financial performance, case presentation, and team effectiveness;

? Delivering an exclusive series of continuing education programs taught by Dr. Roger P. Levin, focused on general practice and specialty practice management and marketing.

Founded in 1865, the NYU College of Dentistry is the third oldest dental
school and the largest comprehensive oral health care center in the nation,
graduating more than eight percent of the nation?s dentists annually. NYU
College of Dentistry is a leading source for dental care in New York City,
and a national leader in dental education, research, and policy issues in dentistry.

Since 1985, the Levin Group, founded by Roger P. Levin, DDS, MBA, has successfully consulted with more than 7,500 dental practices worldwide. Nearly 600 dentists enter Levin Group?s 12-month consulting programs each year. More than 98 percent of enrolled practices achieve significant growth within 12 months by incorporating statistically valid, proven business methods into practices.

Hi, guys!

I have to confess that I lurk around over here from time to time, but today I decided to officially register, and of course put my two cents in.

I graduated in 1982, and at that time there was NOTHING of any practical value taught in school---anywhere! I guess the common belief was that you would make enough money that you could afford to make mistakes and then just figure it on your own.

But the fact is that private practice is a business first, and a profession second. We were better prepared by dental school to be an EMPLOYEE (possessing a certain skill) than to be a business owner/manager. We should have earned an MBA first, then dental school second. It is very encouraging to me to see that Levin Group is making some inroads into the schools. I think this will be a great opportunity.

For the rest of you, let me strongly suggest that you consider some outside training in basic business, to include ECONOMICS first, followed by management, marketing, communication skills, etc. Yes, there were those in my class that seemed to have it all worked out, and dazzled the rest of us with their savy, but most of them ended up practicing just like the rest of us did---the University of Hard Knocks! Fortunately for me, I had a mentor that provided an absolute wealth of wisdom and knowledge and got me off to a good start.

It's not like you need anything else to do during dental school, but if you have a chance to pick up an MBA you won't regret it.

Stephen Vester, DDS

PS: These are the "Golden Years" in dentistry! Enjoy them.

OK, what I meant was earn a MBA degree, not pick up a girl with one... What were you thinking??? :D