Practicing EdDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mypointlesspov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have so many questions about what seems to be a mystery degree. First off, I can't find many (reputable) programs that offer this degree other than a few school psychology programs. Second, I've noticed that most of the providers I've encountered with this degree are older. Was this degree more common in previous decades? Third, APA does not accredit anything but PhDs and PsyDs, so how were/are individuals with this degree able to get licensed in some states?

(Also, and this may be biased of me, but based on psychological evaluations I've read from EdDs, they don't seem to be very good practitioners. This is from a sample size of 3 though lol)

Members don't see this ad.

I've only known 2 practicing providers with an EdD, and they are both over the age of 65. May have been an older thing where people made a case to the board and got grandfathered in. No pun intended. Anyone know of any cases with younger practitioners?

Reactions: 1 user
I've only known 2 practicing providers with an EdD, and they are both over the age of 65. May have been an older thing where people made a case to the board and got grandfathered in. No pun intended. Anyone know of any cases with younger practitioners?

Right? The youngest EdD I know is about 55.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a young EdD!! I actually know a total of two EdDs, and one went direct from undergrad to the EdD program. The other is older and had a master's degree before going into an EdD program. However, both of these individuals received their degrees from FL universities, so maybe it's regional? I know nothing of the quality of their work.

Neither are what I would call researchers, and both work for public school systems doing testing and therapy through that channel, so maybe that's exactly what you mean? The non-trad student was a special education teacher before going back to school.

RE: on and EdD being a practitioner in a state -- some states have terrible licensing laws.

Last edited:
My understanding:

Outgrowth from the entire pathology vs growth/clinical vs. counseling debate. Counseling going to the ed dept, initially offered EdDs. Eventually moved to PhDs. Now EdDs are offered for other things.

The University of Louisville Counseling Psychology program switched from awarding the EdD to the Ph.D. in 2002, I believe. Just for a little perspective....

I see younger EdDs in research roles or administrative roles, often coming out of special education programs. I'm not aware of any in my area providing direct psychological services.

I have so many questions about what seems to be a mystery degree. First off, I can't find many (reputable) programs that offer this degree other than a few school psychology programs. Second, I've noticed that most of the providers I've encountered with this degree are older. Was this degree more common in previous decades? Third, APA does not accredit anything but PhDs and PsyDs, so how were/are individuals with this degree able to get licensed in some states?

(Also, and this may be biased of me, but based on psychological evaluations I've read from EdDs, they don't seem to be very good practitioners. This is from a sample size of 3 though lol)

It also depends on where you go. Last I looked, Harvard gave EdDs through the Graduate School of Education, including some people who were providing direct services. The rationale was that Arts & Sciences "owned" the PhD. So Public Health could give a ScD or a DrPH, Education could give a EdD, etc. Harvard is the only university that has this restriction that I'm aware of.

My understanding:

Outgrowth from the entire pathology vs growth/clinical vs. counseling debate. Counseling going to the ed dept, initially offered EdDs. Eventually moved to PhDs. Now EdDs are offered for other things.
This is accurate AFAIK.
The appic internship survey data includes the number of EdDs if anyone cares to look at the older surveys for the temporal trend.