Practicing in Hawaii

I want to move back to the Big Island after I'm done studying on the East Coast, but I hear that you can't make any money being a physician in hawaii because of the socialized medicine like system they have. Most of all, after being challenged in the workplace, and having a meaningful relationship with my painted, having a high standard of living is important to me (haters gonna hate).

Is practicing in Hawaii a far-fetched idea?

About the Ads
Apr 24, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hmmm. I actually met a new neurologist M.D. who just graduated from residency just last year and joined a practice in my hometown. Through the process, he found that oftentimes the larger the city/region, the more competition, the more you have to work to make the same amount of pay as if you were to work in a more rural area. I hope this helps!

elblackwell

Aug 14, 2011
    1. Pre-Medical
      Actually, there is a physician shortage on the islands besides Oahu (big island, Maui, Kauai, etc...)- depends on your specialty, but you may end up making more than you would in a big city. Also, Hawaii does not have socialized medicine. The law requires that employers provide employees with health insurance if they work more than 20 hours a week, the rest of the people have Medicaid. There are a few big insurance companies here that are similar to what you may find elsewhere. It's possible that reimbursements a little lower, but I haven't heard anyone say that. I do know of someone who is a surgeon and lives on Maui, she works on different islands throughout the week, but I think her pay is comparable to other places.

Medical Muse

7+ Year Member
      Apr 5, 2012
      1. Attending Physician
        I did my residency in Hawaii and can't recall any of the docs complaining about "socialized medicine." What I do remember was that there are only a couple of insurance plans to choose from and across-the-board, the rates were slightly lower than what you would see on the mainland. This was termed the "paradise tax." You can do very well for yourself as a doc in Hawaii.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.