Practicing in Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to move back to the Big Island after I'm done studying on the East Coast, but I hear that you can't make any money being a physician in hawaii because of the socialized medicine like system they have. Most of all, after being challenged in the workplace, and having a meaningful relationship with my painted, having a high standard of living is important to me (haters gonna hate).

Is practicing in Hawaii a far-fetched idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I lost you here. What was this sentence supposed to say? Also, how did you get that candid photo of me? o_O

:laugh:

If you're really gunning for a "high standard of living", go practice in some big city with a big population.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. I actually met a new neurologist M.D. who just graduated from residency just last year and joined a practice in my hometown. Through the process, he found that oftentimes the larger the city/region, the more competition, the more you have to work to make the same amount of pay as if you were to work in a more rural area. I hope this helps!

You had a relationship with your painted?

Actually, there is a physician shortage on the islands besides Oahu (big island, Maui, Kauai, etc...)- depends on your specialty, but you may end up making more than you would in a big city. Also, Hawaii does not have socialized medicine. The law requires that employers provide employees with health insurance if they work more than 20 hours a week, the rest of the people have Medicaid. There are a few big insurance companies here that are similar to what you may find elsewhere. It's possible that reimbursements a little lower, but I haven't heard anyone say that. I do know of someone who is a surgeon and lives on Maui, she works on different islands throughout the week, but I think her pay is comparable to other places.

I did my residency in Hawaii and can't recall any of the docs complaining about "socialized medicine." What I do remember was that there are only a couple of insurance plans to choose from and across-the-board, the rates were slightly lower than what you would see on the mainland. This was termed the "paradise tax." You can do very well for yourself as a doc in Hawaii.

Chances are no pre-meds on here really know how the medical field demand is in Hawaii..