2024-2025 Hawaii (Burns)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2024-2025 Hawaii Secondary Essay Prompts
Please limit responses to 600 words per essay.
A) Describe how your background and your unique lived experiences will contribute to JABSOM's mission. (600 word limit)

B) Describe how you have impactfully contributed to a community with which you identify. (600 word limit)

C) Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have. If you do not have a personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii, please describe why you have chosen to apply to JABSOM. (600 word limit)

D) (Optional) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program. (600 word limit)




Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
Received an email yesterday that my application was received. You get one week to pay the $150 supplemental fee from when the email is sent. Supplemental is sent 5 days after payment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please share the Secondary essay prompts when available and tag a moderator.

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
Please limit responses to 600 words per essay.
A) Describe how your background and your unique lived experiences will contribute to JABSOM's mission. (600 word limit)
B) Describe how you have impactfully contributed to a community with which you identify. (600 word limit)
C) Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have. If you do not have a personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii, please describe why you have chosen to apply to JABSOM. (600 word limit)
D) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program. (600 word limit) Optional
 
Last edited:
I'm a Canadian applicant and looking at MSAR I can see that applying for Hawaii is a Hail Mary shot. I'm also a black applicant and the photo of their graduating class?? of last year wasn't very motivating.

So, I'm tryna spruce up my application a bit.

Is anybody willing to give my responses a review? Just a few words.
If you choose to assist me with this: Please honest, I can take criticism. Hoping to submit within the next two days
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do they have a high post-interview acceptance rate?

The website above has the numbers of applicants, interviewees, and acceptances from the last cycle. For in-state, it seems to be just under 50%, and for out-of-state students, around 6%.
 
Anyone that has already interviewed with Dr. Asano: how was the interview with her is she tough?
It was a really good interview! It was very personable and truly conversational. I felt like I was able to explain my background, passions, life experiences to her. It was about one hour if I recall.

Although, I have heard from friends and past students that she does sometimes ask some very difficult questions or asks you to explain why you didn’t do well in terms of GPA or MCAT.

But for me personally, 10/10 experience. Very sweet woman and took the opportunity to get to know me.
 
Anyone that has already interviewed with Dr. Asano: how was the interview with her is she tough?
Dr. Asano was super nice. Interview was extremely chill and conversational like others have said, and she seemed genuinely interested in digging into who I am as a person. My academic history is questionable so she did ask about that, but in a way that suggested she was trying to better understand how that aspect of my application fit into my overall journey up until that point.

Our interview ran a little over an hour but felt like it flew by. Just be yourself and don't stress it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get an email from the financial aid department regarding housing status for the upcoming year? Not sure if I should take this as a good sign or if they send the email out to everyone regardless of post-interview status. Thanks y'all!
 
Did anyone get an email from the financial aid department regarding housing status for the upcoming year? Not sure if I should take this as a good sign or if they send the email out to everyone regardless of post-interview status. Thanks y'all!
I did not... but I'm OOS not sure if that affects it or not
 
Did anyone get an email from the financial aid department regarding housing status for the upcoming year? Not sure if I should take this as a good sign or if they send the email out to everyone regardless of post-interview status. Thanks y'all!
I called them about this because I thought the same thing. It turns out they just sent these out automatically if you have already done a FAFSA, whether you have admission to JABSOM or not.
 
I called them about this because I thought the same thing. It turns out they just sent these out automatically if you have already done a FAFSA, whether you have admission to JABSOM or not.
omg thank you so much! i guess worst comes to worst I get a hawaii.edu email out of this whole thing!
 
Aah okay good luck! Hopefully we both get good news from the program. Are you in-state / have ties to the rural community in Kaua'i?
No, I'm out of state. My interviewer was super nice though! It was a pretty informal thing since she's a student from the first cohort and it seems like this is the first time they're really having people get interviewed since it's a relatively new program. I wouldn't sweat it too much honestly, the interview was pretty personalized and some questions are asked as a formality.
 
Does anyone know if decisions are still estimated to come out on March 14th or if there's a chance of any news earlier? No A's yet and this is my top choice, getting nervous
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad