Practicing medicine in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schiznits

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a medical student in the US and was wondering if anyone knows how a US medical school graduate can practice in Europe. Do you have to do med school in Europe? Are there equivalence tests you can take? Or can you just apply to residency there and then practice there? Are there certain countries that have less requirements for you to practice in them? The reason I ask is because I am originally French and have a lot of family in France. I heard that to practice in Ireland, you only need to take an entrance exam after your internship year and then can practice or continue doing residency there? Is this true? Any information of any kind would be greatly appreciated. It's difficult to find anything on the web about this! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

schiznits said:
Hello,
I'm a medical student in the US and was wondering if anyone knows how a US medical school graduate can practice in Europe. Do you have to do med school in Europe? Are there equivalence tests you can take? Or can you just apply to residency there and then practice there? Are there certain countries that have less requirements for you to practice in them? The reason I ask is because I am originally French and have a lot of family in France. I heard that to practice in Ireland, you only need to take an entrance exam after your internship year and then can practice or continue doing residency there? Is this true? Any information of any kind would be greatly appreciated. It's difficult to find anything on the web about this! Thanks.
Don't have any real recent or specific info but had a couple partners several years ago who worked for the U.S. gov't in Germany on military bases; in fact, one moved back to Germany-his wife is from Dresden. He, as well as others I have known with ties to Western Europe, have indicated it is quite difficult as their systems are geared to favor their nationals in a huge way. Certainly may be exceptions as you mentioned Ireland. If you have family in France, can't they research the situation for you?

I did some rotations in Ireland and the above posters comments about western european countries not being all that keen on non-nationals... is very true for Ireland as well. They will take you as an intern but you never get promoted above what they consider PGY-3... almost all that do are IRISH. Not even the british get promoted with ease. There was one attending that I worked with, cardiologist... from Sudan, one of the best docs I had ever met... he had been finaly "graduated" but he was just a locum physician and couldn't get hired as a permanant attending anywhere.
Of course, Ireland can do whatever they want and it is their country, but is was sad for these docs who came there from other countries not realizing that they would never truly become an established physician.
For some odd reason, there were a couple attendings in anesthesia there (from holland and south africa) and there was one OB/GYN attending from Sudan.

schiznits said:
Hello,

brightblueeyes, who attends a Paris medical school answered a question about practicing medicine in France on this thread. You may wish to read it and append to it.

Anybody know about practicing in England/Scotland?