Working as a physician in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LydiaM*

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If someone has their MD degree from outside Europe, but completes residency in Europe, does it entitle them to work in any European country or only the country where they did their residency?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is Europe and European Union (E.U). Need to be specific. To my knowledge, if you received your MD degree in E.U then you are entitled to work anywhere...in E.U If you received your MD degree outside the E.U, then you will need to look at each country requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

If someone has their MD degree from outside Europe, but completes residency in Europe, does it entitle them to work in any European country or only the country where they did their residency?

Thank you :)
I think it best for you to check the laws of the country or countries you’re considering. There is not one united EU standard for the practice of medicine And as noted above it may depend on where you received your medical degree from, language proficiency and citizenship.

From your prior posts it appears that you are a Canadian citizen who completed your degree outside of the EU, Canada, or the US. You’ve not been forthcoming about where that degree was from. You’ve spent the last six months asking questions about various countries around the world.

I think we could help you more if we knew what your situation was. Did you get a training spot in Switzerland?

Reactions: 3 users