Pre-Allo FAQ Series: After the Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is another installment of the Pre-Allo FAQ Series of threads. Basically we'll be offering the community a common topic or question and leaving it to you guys to decide on the best answer. Debate and discussion is allowed and welcomed. The goal is to include the community in answering some of the most common questions pre-meds are interested in.

Many of us are in the thick of it when it comes to medical school applications. A great number have met with success in terms of interviews and acceptances, and more than a few are still waiting for some AdCom affection. Let's discuss what happens after the interview -- dealing with the waitlist, how to select a school, etc.

Let's be sure to discuss:
a.) Letters of Interest/Intent - how to write, when to send
b.) Factors influencing your school selection
And, since I'm sure many folks are looking for such information, please include:
c.) Success stories in getting off the waitlist
d.) "I wish I had known..." - factors influencing your decisions​

Anyone with advice on the above topics is welcomed and encouraged to post. Thanks in advance for participating! :D

Also let me remind everyone that all of the old threads can be found in the Pre-Allo Information Thread.

Pre-Allopathic FAQ Series:
-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Interview Survival

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Studying, how do you do it?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series:What is more important GPA or MCAT?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Does it matter what university you graduate from?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: How many schools should I apply to?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: How Do I Write My Personal Statement?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Are EC's really required, and if so which ones?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: What's most important in where to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about "thank you" notes.

Is it better to email one very soon after the interview or to send one via snail mail. I personally think that sending one via snail mail carries more weight since it takes more effort and is more personal: buy a postcard, buy a stamp, drive to post-office etc. But then it will have been several days or a week before they get it, so I am not sure if it's crucial to send it right away while you are still fresh in their minds? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, it's not going to affect your admissions chances how you send it or even IF you send it. Send it in whatever way is most convenient. If the interviewer gives you his/her email, send it via email. If you don't have an email, then send it snail mail to the admissions office. Some schools and interviewers will say that they don't want a thank-you note. In those cases, don't send any.

Send it by snail mail.

Although thank you notes are nice (and appreciated, one would hope), they're not necessary. I've been accepted to two schools, and I sent letters to 2 of 3 interviewers at one school, and none at the other. So clearly, no biggie. If you want to send them for sure though, and make sure they make a difference, I'd try to figure out when the adcoms are meeting to decide on your application. If it's a relatively quick turn-around, an email is better, because the school is probably getting so much mail that by the time they get to your snail mail thank you note, the committee might have decided already. Not to mention the fact that the interviewer might not even read it, since I have heard from a number of people that anything you mail in is just tossed in your file. I sent all my thank you notes via email, because they go straight to the person they are intended for. Of course, they may have an assistant or secretary read their emails, but I still think you have a better chance of having it read by email than snail mail. Good luck!

Although thank you notes are nice (and appreciated, one would hope), they're not necessary. I've been accepted to two schools, and I sent letters to 2 of 3 interviewers at one school, and none at the other. So clearly, no biggie. If you want to send them for sure though, and make sure they make a difference, I'd try to figure out when the adcoms are meeting to decide on your application. If it's a relatively quick turn-around, an email is better, because the school is probably getting so much mail that by the time they get to your snail mail thank you note, the committee might have decided already. Not to mention the fact that the interviewer might not even read it, since I have heard from a number of people that anything you mail in is just tossed in your file. I sent all my thank you notes via email, because they go straight to the person they are intended for. Of course, they may have an assistant or secretary read their emails, but I still think you have a better chance of having it read by email than snail mail. Good luck!

I think you should send a basket of onions. Just sayin.

More important than thank you cards, which, in my humble opionion, is a matter of professional courteousy rather than necessity, are LOI's. I have written three LOI's post-interview on the grounds that I really was never told explicitly by any member of the admissions office at these particular schools that they were unhelpul. Rather, on the advice of several professionals with over 20 years of experience in the "medical acceptance" business, I consider LOI's a potent weighing factor for applicants with no ties to a medical university.

I was advised during the writing of my LOI to include details from my interview trip about unique and original obsevations I made about the school from an outsider perspective and communicate this to them in a positive manner. I stayed with student hosts at all but one of the interviews, and was advised to mention this to them to demonstrate that I temporarily lived amongst and became "one of them." If you can show that you can be one of them, then you have achieved an important milestone.

I was advised to sent it by snail mail and/or email, addressed to the Dean of Admissions, one week after my interview. This is the critical period, according to my source, that the dean and adcomms will take your application to town for one last scrutiny before they make a decision.

With a LOI, your helping get your foot in that door early because, afterall, to communicate to the adcomm your positive feelings about their school is to validate the trust and faith they place in you upon granting you an acceptance. Take this free advice, but note that I paid a rate of $100 an hour for application counseling as an affirmation of its authenticy.

Do you intend to attend three programs at once? Why else would you write three LOI?

Do you intend to attend three programs at once? Why else would you write three LOI?

its ironic that you used the word intend, as I merely meant interest. In case you are still confused, LOI stands for TWO :)eek:!!) different letters, only one of which I sent to all three schools. Use your head to figure out which one I referred to, and no, I would not committ myself to three programs.

I'm sure some people are still confused. So in my opinion, Letters of Interest should be sent about a week after an interview and addressed to the dean of admissions like Pluripotent said. Some schools even recommend doing this if you really have a strong interest. You probably shouldn't directly or even indirectly say that you would attend their school if accepted cause you might head towards a Letter of Intent. You want to say things like, "I would be a good fit because A, B, and C. And I especially liked your curriculum and all the students I met on the tour..."

Whereas, in a Letter of Intent, which I feel should come after being waitlisted at a school, you would directly state I want to go to this school because of A, B, and C. This is also an opportunity to have the dean or an admissions officer look at your application again, and not just get lost in the pile.

Thank you letters can also serve as a form of a Letter of Interest. Though you'd send it to your interviewer and you'd want to include some specifics about the conversation. At some schools I believe these get added to your file so the entire admissions committee may see these at some point.

Another potential way to have your application looked at again is to send an extra LOR. Especially at schools that won't make any decisions until March, usually they start meeting in January at some point to begin going over the interviewed applications. I plan on sending an additional LOR in mid-December. I recommend calling each school to ask who the LOR should be addressed to and whether they accept additional letters as well.

Also, if you're still on the fence about email vs. snail mail, just ask at your interview. "Do you prefer contact through email?" "I may have a few questions after I have time to reflect on the interview day"

It's definitely more out of courtesy than anything...

I talked to my mentor who does med school admissions about this and her response was "oh, is that why I get all these thank you notes after?" ie she didn't put the two together = they will not affect a decision

Members don't see this ad :)
More important than thank you cards, which, in my humble opionion, is a matter of professional courteousy rather than necessity, are LOI's. I have written three LOI's post-interview on the grounds that I really was never told explicitly by any member of the admissions office at these particular schools that they were unhelpul. Rather, on the advice of several professionals with over 20 years of experience in the "medical acceptance" business, I consider LOI's a potent weighing factor for applicants with no ties to a medical university.

I was advised during the writing of my LOI to include details from my interview trip about unique and original obsevations I made about the school from an outsider perspective and communicate this to them in a positive manner. I stayed with student hosts at all but one of the interviews, and was advised to mention this to them to demonstrate that I temporarily lived amongst and became "one of them." If you can show that you can be one of them, then you have achieved an important milestone.

I was advised to sent it by snail mail and/or email, addressed to the Dean of Admissions, one week after my interview. This is the critical period, according to my source, that the dean and adcomms will take your application to town for one last scrutiny before they make a decision.

With a LOI, your helping get your foot in that door early because, afterall, to communicate to the adcomm your positive feelings about their school is to validate the trust and faith they place in you upon granting you an acceptance. Take this free advice, but note that I paid a rate of $100 an hour for application counseling as an affirmation of its authenticy.

great post!:thumbup:

I was actually going to write something along these lines, a letter of update/LOI hybrid, and this will def help!

Question and a comment...

Q: If there is a school that you KNOW you want to go to, and you only receive affirmation of this once you've interviewed, can a letter of INTENT be sent before a waitlist? Might the letter of intent pull you from the pack to get a second look or ensure you aren't the 51st person in a stack when only 50 are getting waitlisted?

C: Regarding the thank you note. I think the bottom line is that the TY note won't be a huge deciding factor, but may work as a swing factor for SOME. I had one adcomm tell me that he doesn't even read emailed thank you notes (a believer in the handwritten word) but takes a nice and well-worded thank you card as a sign of respect and gracefulness on the part of the applicant and if he receives it before evaluation, said it weighs heavily on his opinion, if the applicant is a reasonably good overall interviewee. He suggested getting business cards and asking about the best way to reach them, then sending the TY note the morning after the interview, including thoughtful details in the note. I'm sure this isn't how it is for EVERYONE, but I think that if you're inclined to write a note, it won't hurt, surely, but don't fake it.

C: Regarding the thank you note. I think the bottom line is that the TY note won't be a huge deciding factor, but may work as a swing factor for SOME. I had one adcomm tell me that he doesn't even read emailed thank you notes (a believer in the handwritten word) but takes a nice and well-worded thank you card as a sign of respect and gracefulness on the part of the applicant and if he receives it before evaluation, said it weighs heavily on his opinion, if the applicant is a reasonably good overall interviewee. He suggested getting business cards and asking about the best way to reach them, then sending the TY note the morning after the interview, including thoughtful details in the note. I'm sure this isn't how it is for EVERYONE, but I think that if you're inclined to write a note, it won't hurt, surely, but don't fake it.

I agree that the effect will vary from school to school and person to person. Older adcom members will tend to appreciate thank you notes more often, as it tends to be a dying practice but was probably much more common in their day. Some schools discourage any type of thank you note (although none of the schools at which I interviewed), and others say "when you send your thank you note, and about 85% of our interviewees do, address it to the office of admissions...."

It really can't hurt, as long as you're not turning the thank you note into some huge suck up letter or something. At least one or two schools I visited said they do keep the thank you notes with the rest of your application when it is reviewed by the adcom.

I was told flat out by a Dean of Admissions that his school didn't need to receive a follow-up/LOI unless it contained some sort of grand epiphany about the school. Just stating interest was deemed a waste of time, since the interview would sufficiently gauge it.

That being said, the school is my top choice so I am planning to send something indicating my intent.

i was recently waitlisted at my top choice school.

i never sent them a letter of interest (although now i wish that i had), but seeing as how i can't change the past, does anyone have any advice on what i should do now?

would it be more appropriate to send a letter of interest or a letter of intent?

.. do most people send letters of interest post-interview?

here is the question, where do u send this letter of intent, their general email address on the admissions page?

here is the question, where do u send this letter of intent, their general email address on the admissions page?

I'd send it to the dean of admissions but a physical letter may be more powerful than an email.

.. do most people send letters of interest post-interview?

i would highly doubt that MOST people send letters of interest post-interview. in my opinion i doubt a letter of interest post interview and before a decision would sway a committee in your favor anyways, so don't sweat it. i would try to update your file in someway at that school you mentioned though. i am in the same boat and will send out a new LOR (a boss taking forever to fill his out actually worked out for me cause i have this reserve letter for this purpose now) along with a LOInterest to the school i am waitlisted at.

should a letter of intent be written to the dean of admissions and also addressed to that person as well?

Thats what I did, not that it helped...

i would highly doubt that MOST people send letters of interest post-interview. in my opinion i doubt a letter of interest post interview and before a decision would sway a committee in your favor anyways, so don't sweat it. i would try to update your file in someway at that school you mentioned though. i am in the same boat and will send out a new LOR (a boss taking forever to fill his out actually worked out for me cause i have this reserve letter for this purpose now) along with a LOInterest to the school i am waitlisted at.
It depends. My interviewer specifically told me that I should send an email to the Assistant Dean of Admissions either with additional questions or impressions about the school. In this case I would be silly not to send one (also my top choice school). I used the opportunity to restate my interest in the school and update on a recent activity that relates to one of the track programs I am interested in. I have yet to find out if it made a difference.

I think that a post-interview letter of interest can't hurt, and that whether it will have any impact will likely be determined both based on whether you're on the cusp anyway, and the particular school. Schools that profess to be looking for a good fit (rather than focusing mainly on stats) will likely be much more receptive to a post-interview letter of interest. I think that if you feel particularly passionate about a school post-interview, it really can't hurt to let them know, and it could actually help to have it in your file when you're reviewed. But if the school doesn't really sell itself as a fit school, it might be best to wait and send a letter of interest if you've been waitlisted.

Regardless, I think that the effectiveness of a post-interview letter of interest will probably really depend on the content. Try to make it as specific as you can, mentioning things that you saw or learned during your interview/trip, and tie it in to your goals and interests, and why you quite simply are meant for their school. Tell them what you bring to the table. Make your case as compelling as you can. If it's your top choice, tell them so, but back it up with concrete reasons. Demonstrate your passion and interest in their school. Be enthusiastic, but ground it in facts, and tie it in to your application.

As for the format and who it should be sent to, I'm (perhaps naively) of the opinion that it doesn't really matter. It's the content that's key. I sent a letter of interest to the "Admissions Committee" generally, because that's who I envisioned I was "speaking" to. But while I think sending it to the dean of admissions or another designated person is a great idea, I don't think that substantively it will really make a difference. Ditto with whether it should be emailed or mailed. I think it's best to go with what the school seems to prefer regarding other communications (how you submitted your secondary, instructions on their status page (if any), the method of communication they used to send you an invite, etc.).

What if you want to send a letter of interest AND an updated transcript? Would you give your letter to the Registrar's office and have them send it with the transcript, or would you send your letter separately? Would you mention in your letter that an updated transcript was on the way?

What if you want to send a letter of interest AND an updated transcript? Would you give your letter to the Registrar's office and have them send it with the transcript, or would you send your letter separately? Would you mention in your letter that an updated transcript was on the way?

I would send the letter of interest directly, and mention that they should also be receiving an updated transcript from the registrar.

Thats what I did, not that it helped...

If addressing letters to the dean, is it correct to address them in the letter as Dean X or Dr. X (if they are a doc)?

I'm sure either would be fine. I would go with Dean if they are a Dean.

I'm sure either would be fine. I would go with Dean if they are a Dean.

Thanks!

PS. What is the point of having an MDapps if there's nothing in it? :smuggrin:

Is it adequate to simply list your grades in a combined update letter/letter of interest? I assumed that official transcripts would only be required upon matriculation - it's not like anyone is going to be stupid enough to lie in communicating with an adcom!

What do you guys think, though? I could send actual transcripts if it made a difference...

I believe there is no need in thank you letter at all. I sent TY letters to people who interviewed me in one school. I mentioned specific thing from the interview day, the letters were nice... Guess what? - I was rejected 3 weeks after.
I sent nothing to another school and I was accepted.
It is all very subjective and depends on school/person/what you write etc.

It makes sense to send a letter of interest once you are waitlisted after the interview though.

Would it be unwise to update schools with grades that are below your AMCAS means but still hovering around their averages? I have active applications post-interview at some non-rolling schools and I want to let them know I'm still alive (haha) since its been so long since I interviewed at these schools.

I believe there is no need in thank you letter at all. I sent TY letters to people who interviewed me in one school. I mentioned specific thing from the interview day, the letters were nice... Guess what? - I was rejected 3 weeks after.
I sent nothing to another school and I was accepted.
It is all very subjective and depends on school/person/what you write etc.

It makes sense to send a letter of interest once you are waitlisted after the interview though.

I really agree with TY letters. I think it's become something that EVERYONE does, and most people don't really mean it, they just send them because it's the accepted thing to do and everyone does it. I think that especially generic TY notes could really irritate your interviewer and do more harm than good.

If you think about it, it makes little sense to thank your interviewer, since he/she isn't doing YOU personally any favors. they do a favor to the school and the admissions committee by volunteering their time to interview kids and help the school pick a good class, so if anyone, the school should send them thank you notes.

I think if you really want to send a thank you note, you should send it to the admissions committee for giving you the opportunity to visit the school and learn about their program

Is it expected that applicants continue communicating schools post-interview but pre-decision (namely, the non-rolling schools)? I feel like I should send something, but I have no drastic updates to send (just have continued doing what I normally do) nor do I want to commit to any schools by sending an LOI. Any thoughts on this?

Is it expected that applicants continue communicating schools post-interview but pre-decision (namely, the non-rolling schools)? I feel like I should send something, but I have no drastic updates to send (just have continued doing what I normally do) nor do I want to commit to any schools by sending an LOI. Any thoughts on this?
Sending an update letter between your interview and the deliberations on your application is a good idea, of course, if you've got something good to say. I would think that sending more correspondence (beyond one update letter) might be excessive unless you have something very major to write about (winning a major award or scholarship, or publication).

OK, so i just got waitlisted at my top-choice school and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my situation. I would love to be a student at this school and that is why I kind of want to write a Letter of Intent (telling them flat out that I will withdraw from this application cycle if given an acceptance). With that said, this school's reputation is not as solid as some other schools that I would like to attend, but have not yet been given a chance to interview at. With interview spots slowly being filled up and the application cycle coming to another end, do you all think that I should just write the Letter of Intent rather than wait it out?? It could after all be my last chance at a seat in a medical school class for Fall 2008...Thanks in advance!

OK, so i just got waitlisted at my top-choice school and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my situation. I would love to be a student at this school and that is why I kind of want to write a Letter of Intent (telling them flat out that I will withdraw from this application cycle if given an acceptance). With that said, this school's reputation is not as solid as some other schools that I would like to attend, but have not yet been given a chance to interview at. With interview spots slowly being filled up and the application cycle coming to another end, do you all think that I should just write the Letter of Intent rather than wait it out?? It could after all be my last chance at a seat in a medical school class for Fall 2008...Thanks in advance!
if it's your top choice school, I think it would be a good idea to write a LOI and then honor it.

If the school is YOUR top choice and you think it's YOUR best fit, then their reputation or ranking or anything else is irrelevant. I say send the LOI - if you get more invites before your top-choice acceptance, you still have the right to go to those interviews as well. You don't have any obligation to wait for your top-choice unless/until they actually accept you.

Im really not sure how to go about writing a letter of intent. Does anyone have any examples or perhaps some sort of formulaic structure template?

Thanks!

A true letter of intent should say in the clearest language possible that you WILL attend the school if admitted, withdrawing any outstanding applications and rescinding any other acceptances you might hold. If this is your first communique post interview, include why the school is your number one choice, including personal details of your experience (as highlighted by previous posters). The message of the letter of intent should be very clear. The one I wrote had the following format:

to the Committee on Admissions,
I am writing to communicate that X school is my number one choice, and if given the opportunity to matriculate I will do so. If offerd a seat in the class of 2012 I will withdraw all outstanding applications and rescind any offers of acceptance that I hold.

Then, if you haven't yet, communicate why the school is your number one. I had already sent a interest letter so my letter of intent was limited to my initial paragraph.

Good luck!

How do you get your interviewers' contact information? Do you ask for it directly or ask for a business card? Or do you just send the thank you letter to the admissions committee as a whole for giving you the opportunity to interview? Any opinions out there on this?

How do you get your interviewers' contact information? Do you ask for it directly or ask for a business card? Or do you just send the thank you letter to the admissions committee as a whole for giving you the opportunity to interview? Any opinions out there on this?

At the school I interviewed at, we were given the address to send all correspondence to for our interviewers. It was in our interview packet. Other than that, you can call the admissions office or do a people search on the college website to get an email.

when do you suggest sending a LOI? obviously after the interview, but before the waitlist comes out? or after? I am a stellarly average applicant and am predicting (hoping) for the waitlist at my top school. Should I send it before they finalize the waitlist in hopes that it will move me up? thanks for any insight

Does anyone applying to Canadian school know if it is custom to send thank-you cards and LOI's or is this more an American phenomenon....

I've just never heard of anyone doing it North of the border... It's possible it just hasn't come up though.... Any input is appreciated

I am presuming that the earlier you send a letter of intent the better, It shows you were serious early, and not just so because of the May 15th crunch. Letters of interest I feel would have a greater value early as well.

I was going to write a school I haven't heard back from yet, (expected them March 15) with language similar to the following

"...because of these reasons the U of ____ is is th best fit for me and pending financial considerations will be my top choice for pursuing my medical education."

I think its only fair to give the financial caveat since, no matter how much i love that school, i like other schools enough that they could easily persuade me with generous financial aid. momma didnt raise no fool.

but would this caveat turn off anyone? I mean, I'm not trying to bargain or anything, would people see this as simply being honest, or would I be better off with a more simply stated letter of interest?

I have written a draft of my letter of intent, but I am not sure if it's too naive/immature or of it works? I would like a blatant yay or nay so that I nkow whether or not to send it with my status update of officially being a resident in that state.

I am writing this letter to communicate that _____ is my number one choice, and if given the opportunity to matriculate I will do so. If offered a seat in the class of 2012 I will withdraw all outstanding applications and rescind any offers of acceptance that I hold.

Body explaining what progarms I enjoyed, etc etc.

Through everything I have learned about this school, there is no doubt in my mind that I would excel greatly as a physician in _____. My decision to only attend this school is further reflected in my applying for in-state residency as I have no desire of leaving this state for any reason. My decision stands that I have no intent of attending any other school and that _____is my top choice.

Thank you,

I am mainly concerned with the conclusion, especially where I talk about my in-state residency. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.