Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Interview Survival (Tips, tricks, cost-saving)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi said:
This is another installment of the Pre-Allo FAQ Series of threads. Basically I'll be offering the community a common topic or question and leaving it to you guys to decide on the best answer. Debate and discussion is allowed and welcomed. The goal is to include the community in answering some of the most common questions pre-meds are interested in.

This topic is one everyone can benefit from. I'm hoping that re-applicants and current allopathic students will contribute to this discussion of the interview process. I think a frank and healthy discussion of the ins and outs of interviewing will help ease the fears many of us feel as we prepare to enter the lion's den.

Let's be sure to discuss:
a.) Cost-saving tips for travel & lodging
b.) What you wear
c.) What the "routine" questions are
d.) What the "unusual" questions are
And, since I'm sure there are many, please include:
e.) "Horror stories" about your worst interview moments
f.) ...how you handled the above missteps.
Anyone with advice on the above topics is welcomed and encouraged to post. Thanks in advance for participating! :hardy:

Also let me remind everyone that all of the old threads can be found in the Pre-Allo Information Thread.

Pre-Allopathic FAQ Series:
-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Studying, how do you do it?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series:What is more important GPA or MCAT?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Does it matter what university you graduate from?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: How many schools should I apply too?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: How Do I Write My Personal Statement?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: Are EC's really required, and if so which ones?

-Pre-Allo FAQ Series: What's most important in where to apply?

Other Useful Threads:
Pros and Cons of Your MD School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Sweet. SDN will do my work for me. :D

Yay! Just the thread I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great! I hope people start posting stuff soon, although I'm pretty sure interviews don't even start till September at most schools, right? I hope I get some interviews...

This is great! I hope people start posting stuff soon, although I'm pretty sure interviews don't even start till September at most schools, right? I hope I get some interviews...

Actually a few Texas schools start interviewing in July, all by August. Of course, Texas likes to get things done early. :D

I'll bite.

I applied only to schools that were nearby (no further than a 4 or 5 hour bus ride) -- not to save money, but because I wanted to stay in the Northeast. That being said, it obviously did save money on travel. For flying in general, I recommend kayak.com (which searches all of your favorite travel sites and airline sites directly = cheapest tickets) and farecast.com (which will keep track of low prices over time and will predict whether the lowest cost for your search criteria will go up or down -- good for timing your purchasing). Obviously, it helps to try and schedule interviews in the same city/state/region for one trip.

For lodging, I would stay with a student host whenever it is offered. You save money on a room and you get to hear about the school from a student and you'll likely be closer to campus than a hotel. If the school doesn't offer hosts, I suppose you could ask (I never tried this, but it wouldn't hurt). Alternatively, you can find a friend or relative who's in the city you applied to. Start asking your parents for email addresses and phone numbers of long-lost relatives.

I liked to schedule away interviews on Monday or Friday so that I could visit that city for the weekend. If you like to take occasional weekend trips anyways, this would, in a way, save money because you wouldn't need to go back for vacation purposes. Plus, it's a more enjoyable way of going through this long and stressful process.

b.) What you wear
I'm a guy, so I wore a suit. I was going to buy a new suit for this occasion, but I couldn't find anything affordable, so I just used my all-purpose black suit from high school that was starting to get a bit small for me. I don't like wearing white shirt with a black suit, so I wore either a blue or gray shirt with a tie that matched well.

Most of the interview questions were about me and my application (definitely go over your AMCAS and secondary before each school so you know what they know about you.)

"Tell me about yourself"
"Tell me about activity X"
"Tell me about Y on your application."

and then these were just starting points for conversations. Interviewers have different styles, and you have to adjust. Some of them are rapid-fire (though not necessarily tough questions); some are more personable. An interview with a personable interviewer might seem like a "good" one, while one with a colder interviewer might seem like it didn't go well at all, but there's no correlation with acceptance, in my and my friends' experiences. In any case, just go with the flow, be friendly and don't ramble (try and get a feel for how long they expect you to be talking -- if they cut you off, for instance).

Hmm.. One interviewer asked me to explain the C on my transcript in one of my major classes. I explained that I thought I learned the material well but didn't perform well on the exams (not good at multiple choice). then why did you do so well on the MCAT? I practiced a lot. Then why so horribly on the written section (N)? ::shrug:: I think I said something to effect of being disappointed with my score, and maybe something about how I like to put a lot of thought into writing and am not the best at writing in short time frame. Take home point: I made sure not to whine about being a couple percentage points from a B.

Other questions: what are the biggest challenges we are facing in healthcare? I can't remember anything else really. Perhaps 2011ers will have a fresher memory. But to be honest, I didn't get many hard questions.

Hmm.. I didn't really have horror stories. I had really bad traffic one day for my Howard interview coming in from my relatives' place in the 'burbs of Virginia (first the car wouldn't start, then the number of disabled vehicles and other crazy traffic incidents (for instance, a prisoner escaped out of a prison by hiding underneath a bus and holding on. He ended up getting fatally hit by a car or something). Anyways, I showed up late (called in car to say that I was running really late) and it turned out to be fine because they have this first-come first-serve thing. so I had the last interview of the day.

Other things about interviews.
Morning or afternoon interviews. Some schools will give you a choice. Morning interviews mean you get it over with; afternoon interviews mean you get to hear about the school through the info session/tour/etc before the interview. I preferred afternoon interviews personally.

Other interview formats? All of my interviews were one-on-one. I think I had one student interview (as a second interview at that school). Perhaps other Allo students can address team interviews, and whatever else is out there.

"Do you have any questions?" After taking afternoon interviews and being bombarded with information and the "do you have any questions?" question, many interviewers understand if you don't have any questions. Many people recommend having something to ask, but I've gotten into schools without asking a question per se. Sometimes I'll ask vague, stupid questions if I feel I need to (if the interview was not at all a conversation), like "What do you find most special about this place?"), or if the interviewer had an unusual specialty (like nuclear medicine) or a higher up position, you could ask about that specialty, department, line of work or whatever. Successful people often like to talk about themselves. Look interested and perhaps have a couple follow up questions.

I hope I didn't talk about the obvious too much, but hopefully this is a good starting point for the discussion. Let me know if there are questions or disagreements!

I don't have anything really to add to this, since sponge summed everything up pretty well. But I would echo the suggestion to stay with a student host if you can. It is not only cheaper, but they can give you the inside scoop about the school, and possibly what to expect during the interview as well.

b.) What you wear

This question usually gets a lot of debate time on SDN. The bottom line though is that while some would argue that it is good to try and stand out and be different and others would argue that it is better to blend in and be very conservative, most everyone agrees that it is not desirable to stand out in an overtly risky or negative way. With that in mind .... guys, you need to wear a suit. I did see a few guys wear a sport jacket and slacks instead of regular suit. They looked Ok, but it was definitely much less common. Anything less than a nice conservative sportjacket and slacks with a tastefull shirt and tie is not a good idea.

Suit color: The standard interview suit color for most situations is your classic navy blue. That said, the favorite by far among pre-meds is black. You will notice a sea of black at most of your interviews. In recent years, charcoal grey has become the new black and is gaining in popularity (this is what I went with). I like the look of black, but its utility can be limited in that it can be a little too formal to use in most every day situations. Grey, Blue, the browns, all can be used more easily for other things than your med school interview (although black is cof course good for semi-formals and funerals). So just keep that in mind. I only saw maybe one light-colored suit at each interview, so take that for what you will.

Always be prepared for "why medicine?", "why this school?", "tell me about your self", "Explain (insert weakness here) in your application", "where do you see yourself in (5,10,15,20) years?", and of course the famous "Tell me your strengths and weaknesses" (note the plural). Other very common themes focus on medical ethics, what is wrong with the health care system today (and how to fix it), and the very important "What questions do you have for me? (also worded: Is there anything else that you would like to know about the program/school?). Do not fail to prepare for this last one, it can make or break you depending on how the interview has gone up to that point (by stimulating discussion or setting your own tone for the end of the interview). At some schools, the worst thing you can say is that you have no questions.

Unusual questions cannot really be predicted. Certainly any interview that is heavy on ethics discussion can throw some pretty out-there scenarios at you and force you to make decisions about what you would do. Just stay calm and avoid any radical answers. There is not usually a right or wrong, you just have to be prepared to defend your position. Stress interviews can also challenge you with unusual questions about your background, capabilities, and motivations. Take whatever you get in stride and just be yourself. Be authentic and don't get too frazzled and you will come out fine.

Mine are not really horror stories, but instead these were some tense/strange questions that I had:

At the beginning: You certainly have done a lot of different things and have accomplished a lot, why are you just throwing all of this away and basically starting over? What does your wife think about all this? Havn't you considered how this will impact your family?

Ok, so your in charge of NASA and you have some astronauts in a shuttle that you have just discovered has been damaged .....

Come on, if you found out your patient had an illegal kidney, wouldn't you just want to go in there and cut out? Are you sure?

Tried to stay calm. Chuckled, smiled, and tried to use a little humor to lighten things up. Tried not to back myself into a corner that I couldn't defend or get out of. Maybe my answers were a little boring, but I managed to avoid getting too tangled up in them.

these are great tips coming from you veterans :D keep em coming! they are much appreciated.

A) Cost-cutting

Check out these two sites:
sidestep.com
farechase.yahoo.com

I actually used Southwest for all of my flights. After four round trips, you get two free tickets! Of course, they don't assign seats and you have to be comfortable with the cattle call rush when the gate opens. They also don't fly into major coastal hubs.

I also want to further recommend student hosts! Even if you're not the most extroverted of individuals, it beats sulking in a hotel room and worrying yourself to death the night before. These outgoing students were in your position not too long ago, will take your mind off things, and give you the inside scoop on both their town and school. Clean up after yourself the next morning, give them something like a small gift certificate, write a thank-you, and you'll be remembered as one of their best guests.

C&D) Interview Questions

Did you know about SDN's interview feedback? Check it out to get a feel for each individual school's style. Don't forget to add to it when you're done!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I would like to address something not listed on the introductory post, on how to prepare for interviews. There's a good number of people on SDN who will tell you not to prepare, because they believe adcoms like it when applicants are honest and totally candid about what they know and don't know.

Firstly, I'm not proposing that you memorize lines or read out of a "how to interview well" book - that turns you into a cookie cutter premed, and will probably make you look unintelligent, uninformed, and trying too hard. I'm saying that like any evaluation or exam, some preparation is in order. In this case, you want to basically build an array of informed opinions, and to be familiar with topics so you aren't thrown off guard. Yes, it is good to be candid, but there's only so many times you can respond with "wow that's an interesting question, I'm just a premed so honestly I don't know." Again, I am in no way advocating a rehearsed routine, just go over some things so you have an idea of what you might respond with.

When I was on the interview trail, I divided my preparation into two halves - #1: me, and #2: everything that was not me.

In the first category, you have your application. You want to reread your personal statements and supplementary essays, because anything on there is fair game. Reread your descriptions of your activities, volunteering, ECs, clinical experience, whatever. I had a friend who was asked in an interview "what is breakdancing" - he had never really thought about how to explain it, and had some trouble finding the right words. More importantly, think about what you learned from your activities and how they may link to some of the questions you will find in SDN's databases.

In the second category, "everything that is not you", that includes things like healthcare issues, bioethics, politics, current events, and things about the school you are interviewing at. Some people may tell you that they went through their whole interview trail without getting a healthcare question. That all depends on your interviewers. I had a few of these questions at nearly every interview except one, and even had one interview where the entire hour and a half was case study after case study on bioethics and healthcare issues.

How much you have to prepare for this depends on how much you already know. If you were a public health major or health policy major, chances are you don't need to do that much. If you were engineering, like me, and have never looked at the news let alone think about healthcare, you will need more preparation.

I read "Understanding Health Policy" by Grumbach and Bodenheimer, as well as "Health Care Meltdown" by Robert LeBow. I also read through the entire University of Washington Bioethics module, which can be found here:
http://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html
If you have little knowledge about US Healthcare or bioethics, this should be enough to bring you up to speed.

Mock interviews, if your preprofessional office provides them, is a good resource. If you don't have that as an option, get with an advisor, or even a professor to just ask you questions.

Remember, spitting back rehearsed lines or trying to BS is the worst thing you can do. Being honest and saying "I don't know" in a professional manner is an OK thing to do. But by far, the best response to any question, is a well informed opinion that is expressed clearly.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a lot of great advice in this thread so far... I see if there is anything I can add to it:

If you can stay with a student host, I'd go for it. Most student hosts are really nice, they'll give you inside dirt on your interviewers if you know who they are and you will get a great feel for the student body before your interview. Just do a couple of things in exchange for your free room and board. 1.) understand that you are a massive interruption in an already chaotic life, they will probably have to dump you at some point to study.
2.) buy them dinner and/or bring some sort of gift (giftcard/bottle of wine), just something to show your appreciation. 3.) do as much as possible to make it like you were never there... bring your own towels, possibly a sleeping bag. Just try to clean up after yourself as much as possible.

If you don't wind up with a student host, most schools will send the names of a few hotels with their interview packets. These hotels have interview rates that are usually pretty cheap. Many even have complimentary shuttle services. Go ahead and take advantage of these rates and services... the hotel can hold your bag during the interview and pick you up after. They might even be nice enough to pick you up and drop you off at the airport.

b.) What you wear

As mentioned above... A suit is really the interview uniform for guys. I don't know enough about womens fashion to comment, but most women I met at interviews also had suits (a mix of pantsuits and skirts). The word is conservative. You can get by with a blazer, tie and slacks... just understand that you'll be the only one doing so and you will stand out.

Color. Oh, I wish I had bought a gray suit. Or a navy one... alas I bought a black suit 3 years ago and wore it to all my interviews, and completed the funeral parlor atmosphere. I did eventually learn that a colored shirt can still look sharp and professional enough for an interview. A nice blue or yellow shirt might be your best friend... just see what goes with what you wind up buying.

Some schools have a playbook that they rarely deviate from. I cannot stress how important it is to review the interview feedback section of SDN before you interview. As mentioned above, you'll want to know the answers to "why medicine", "tell me about yourself", "strengths and weaknesses". Make sure to know your primary and secondary applications forward and backward because you can be hit for details about anything on there.

As for healthcare questions... something that is useful, read blogs. Example: PandaBear's blog is brilliant and has a lot of opinions about healthcare issues that you might wish to discuss.

Hmm, unusual questions can be anything really. The worst ones are about parts of your file that you weren't prepared for. So my advice here is to know yourself as well as possible. Be open with yourself and then you can be ready, because if there is one thing this process is good at, it's finding weaknesses.

The other questions... it's impossible to predict them because they're designed that way. They want to see how you think on your feet. So if you get asked how many gas stations there are in America or why a manhole cover is round. Don't panic, try to figure out what the question is really looking for and use some of that critical thinking to give an educated guess. Explain your logic and have a discussion.

Hmmm. Like I said above... the worst interview moments were probably points where I let myself get tripped up and flustered about bad parts of my file. There's plenty of other horror story threads out there, you can hunt for them if you want.

Alas, it took more experience than anything else to learn how to handle my specific weaknesses. Proper coverage in my primary app helped and then I just had to make sure I didn't get flustered.

If I can offer any advice to those of you with past problems... Fall on your sword. Don't lay blame. Take full responsibility for your actions and demonstrate how you've grown since. Schools will accept people that have had trouble in the past, but not those that haven't gotten beyond it.

this thread is REALLY HELPFUL! thanks to all those who have responded!

question for you veterans: did you rent a car? or is relying on cabs and public transportation the way to go? (or.. does it depend on the city)

THANKS

Members don't see this ad :)
this thread is REALLY HELPFUL! thanks to all those who have responded!

question for you veterans: did you rent a car? or is relying on cabs and public transportation the way to go? (or.. does it depend on the city)

THANKS

That was really city dependent.

I drove to as many interviews as I could... this gave me the advantage of having a car in the city. If I had to fly, I avoided renting a car at all costs. It's expensive and a hassle. In these cases the hotel shuttles were helpful and kept me covered in most situations. 70-80 dollars at an interview rate w/free rides on call whenever I wanted v. trying to drive myself around in an unfamiliar city and spending outrageous amounts on a rental car... I wound up actually picking the hotel a few times over the student host just for the shuttle services... guess I should have made that point in my last post.

I remember being concerned about what to do with my things during the interview. Don't stess though; just check out of your hotel/host's place the morning of the interview then take your suitcase with you to the school. Every admissions office will have some sort of locked office/room/closet for you to put your bags.

I remember being concerned about what to do with my things during the interview. Don't stess though; just check out of your hotel/host's place the morning of the interview then take your suitcase with you to the school. Every admissions office will have some sort of locked office/room/closet for you to put your bags.

Really. This is actually really good info. I always figured you had nothing else to do except pack VERY light or stay an extra day. This saves...tons. :p

Also keep in mind that many hotels (although I doubt motels) will let their guests leave a bag there after checking out in the morning. Check with them when you check in and see if it's an option. Might not be the best one, if your hotel isn't close or if you need to rush out after an interview, but if it is then it's one less thing to be concerned about while actually at the school.

If you plan on flying to a lot of places and are near an airport that has a lot of United (or US airways and TED) flights, their frequent flier card (no cost to you) is a great option. I wish I would have gotten this during the interview season since I almost always flew US Airways.

They also have a college plus program that gives you 10,000 miles (free flights start at 25,000) if you are signed up for it before you graduate and then send them a copy of your transcript showing that you graduated. Apparently it works for each degree you get so even if you aren't in college anymore I believe that you can get the miles for med school graduation. I tended to check the travel sites first for flights and then compare it with the actual airline. Sometimes you can get it for less and a lot of them don't charge booking fees if you go through them. United also gives you 500 miles for each flight that you book on their website.

Here's the link: http://www.united.com/page/middlepage/0,6823,1271,00.html?jumpLink=/collegeplus

Still, pack light just in case. I went to one interview where they had no secure office or area for travel bags, so I had to carry mine around.

For the guys, a suit bag is a great investment, and can help your travel loads significantly. Also cuts down on having to fold your suit in weird ways and avoiding checking luggage.

For the guys, a suit bag is a great investment, and can help your travel loads significantly. Also cuts down on having to fold your suit in weird ways and avoiding checking luggage.

Agreed.

I got a suit bag at an outlet store for ~$50. Used it for 2-3 interview seasons, 2 moves and it's still holding up. It even held up through airline travel (you can carry these things on if you want to).

Still, pack light just in case. I went to one interview where they had no secure office or area for travel bags, so I had to carry mine around.

Girls wear suits, too. Wouldn't we benefit from them as well?

I think I have bad luck with interviews-every undergrad school I interviewed for I was rejected from-then again these weren't exactly lightweights-Harvard, Georgetown,

I have long hair . So im assuming it should be tied up even though I like it out ?

are you talking about rolling garment bags or folding over the shoulder ones?

Can all of these be carried on?

are you talking about rolling garment bags or folding over the shoulder ones?

Can all of these be carried on?

I recommend something with wheels since it can get to be a little heavy with everything in it. I bought a piece of small carry on luggage without a garment bag. Depending on where you bought your suit, you might have gotten a nice bag to put it in. I bought my coat at Express and they gave me a nice zip up thing that I was able to put my suit in. I packed the bag with the rest of my stuff (such as a change of clothes and pjs) first and then put the bottom of the bag in and gently folded up the suit in there. You'll see how this works better if you try it.

Also make sure to check the current TSA guidlines before you fly. I had interviews after the whole gatorade bomb thing in Europe so for the first few I was not able to carry my luggage on. I needed certain things that only came in liquid form so they couldn't come through with me. Now you are able to put small containers in a quart sized ziploc bag to be screened separately, but you might want to check beforehand just to make sure. If you are staying at a hotel for the night you can minimize the carry on since you should be getting some samples of shampoo and soap (and usually toothpaste if you ask) at the hotel. If you are really worried about this, call ahead of time and check what they have available because you don't want to get stuck without being able to brush your teeth.

Thanks for all the info. guys, it's really helpful! I was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be better for a girl to wear a knee-length skirt or pants.. I'm a bit confused and have to go shopping for it soon, I think. Is it better to tie your hair back is your a female? Also, where do I find student hosts? I'm pretty new to this network, so I really appreciate any help I can get! :hardy:

As far as I've heard, go with whatever you look better in (pants vs. skirt). I originally planned to get a skirt, but when I tried a bunch of suits on, I found the pants to be more flattering. I think the hair thing depends, and as for student hosts, I'd like that info as well.

I have not heard anything really about closed interviews...

I think these are hard because they have nothing to go and and you have to completly lead the interview... kind of right??
should I just try to integrate all my activities into the interview...

what advice do you guys have for this???

When they say: Tell me about yourself? ... how do most of you start??
ex:.. I was born...etc..
ex: .. I graduated from...
ex: ... ????

Schools will provide a list of student hosts upon invitation.

Haha, I guess the school I got an invite too doesn't have anyone that wants to host or something then... I only got a link from their webpage to a list of hotels :(. Thanks for the insight on what to wear! I was wondering too, when they ask tell me about yourself... how do you usually start? is it normal to just start being like i'm like this .. i'm like so.. it seems really cheesy.

Most schools will provide a list of hosts. If not, I imagine you could contact the admissions office to see if they can provide you with the contact info of some students.
*Please be sure to treat your hosts respectfully, and do realize that they are providing a service to you. Keep your stuff tidy. I haven't had any problems hosting, but some of my classmates have.

As for the "tell me about yourself" question, I started with being born in New York City, my neighborhood, my family, school, and then I would get interrupted with some follow up question pretty soon after. Nothing too complicated. I never prepared for the question, so I just improvised the first time I heard it (my first interview). There's probably a better way to go about this.

Do you take anything with you to the intrview? a resume or something? or are you supposed to go empty handed?
I heard a lot about getting a leather suitcase and taking it with me, but what should I put in it?

i used the american express travel website. double membership rewards points, plus pretty low prices. at one of my interviews, i stayed at the ritz-carlton for $100 a night.

I always check the travel sites first to get an idea about itineraries and comparative prices and then I go to the actual airline's site to see what they have.

If you look at the interview survival thread, I posted a link for the United College Plus (free!) frequent flyer program. I'm too lazy too look for it right now (plus they have interview info in there as well). You get miles for flying with the United group (including US Airways and Ted) plus ~500 miles for booking on their websites and 10,000 miles for graduating college. You just have to sign up for the program before you graduate to be eligible. I've also been giving people my number if they don't have one so I can get miles as well. My parents are going to Hawaii in February so between their miles and then my graduation miles I have more than enough to get a free ticket.

Use bookingbuddy.com to enter the flight info once and check multiple sites (i.e. expedia,priceline). So far, I've found the best prices through cheaptickets.com. Also keep in mind Jetblue or Southwest airlines, as they offer offer cheap flights to many major cities. Also if you are flexible, search different airports (probably easier to depart from home from a further airport). I find cheaper flights out of Providence, RI or Manchester, NH instead of Logan in Boston. I also find it cheaper to fly out of LaGuardia than JFK.

Use bookingbuddy.com to enter the flight info once and check multiple sites (i.e. expedia,priceline). So far, I've found the best prices through cheaptickets.com. Also keep in mind Jetblue or Southwest airlines, as they offer offer cheap flights to many major cities. Also if you are flexible, search different airports (probably easier to depart from home from a further airport). I find cheaper flights out of Providence, RI or Manchester, NH instead of Logan in Boston. I also find it cheaper to fly out of LaGuardia than JFK.

In my experience, cheaptickets is always a couple of dollars more expensive than the competition. And the tickets are cheapest if bought early on the airlines' website itself.

I travel a lot, so here are my suggestions:

• www.southwest.com Fly Southwest - it's usually cheap, especially if you book at least a week or 2 in advance. Sign up for the Rapid Rewards program. If you're in college, you get a free round trip after you purchase just 4 round trips (or 8 1-way). If you're not in college, you get the reward after 8 round trips.
  • www.kayak.com is a very good resource for finding cheap tickets. They don't sell tickets; they just do a big search and even tell you where the cheapest rate is for a particular flight (i.e. the American Airlines website may offer a flight cheaper than Orbitz.) They also have really great search options, like alternate airports, departure/arrival times, etc.
  • www.studentuniverse.com has student discounts. They charge a fee for using their site, but even with the fee, the tickets still usually work out to be cheaper than if you had bought them elsewhere.
  • I recommend that you don't use sites like Orbitz and Expedia because they will charge fees for using their site, and it'll significantly increase the cost. Instead, you could look at those sites to get an idea of what some cheaper airlines are, but then go directly to the websites for those airlines to check if the rates are cheaper directly from them. Again, I highly recommend www.kayak.com for finding rates. Very comprehensive.

I also use Southwest's double-rewards for students. 4 round trips = free flight. If you're over 21 they also give you 4 free drink vouchers when you get a free flight.

Definitely Southwest. Way cheaper than the competition most of the time (as long as you and most of your schools are near their airports).

Join the college Rapid Rewards - gives you double credits for each flight and usually like 4 credits for signing up. So you just need 3 flights for a free roundtrip.

Thats what I did - by the end I had 2 free roundtrips that I used to visit family.

Also, I highly recommend getting one of their credit cards and using it for all your secondaries that can be paid by CC as well as all your flights/hotels etc. You get an airline credit (same as the rapid rewards 16=free flight) for every $1200 you put on it. But flights and rental cars and hotels through their affilitates are worth double money. (eg $600 worth of flights/hotels = credit)

I have it now, but if I'd had it when I applied I would have probably gotten 3-4 flights instead of the 2 I got.

This is the most money you've probably every spent in your life in a short period - get a credit card that gives you something back for the money you spend.

where did you buy your suits from? i have looked all over and just cant seem to find one i like.

where did you buy your suits from? i have looked all over and just cant seem to find one i like.
Nordstrom. I also saw a couple nice ones at Saks. If you're looking for cheaper though, I couldn't find anything.

Wow. I totally didn't realize that this thread was created.

Thanks for making it!

Got mine from Macy's for 40% off during a sale.

It took me forever to find mine since I'm a 32S which is... non-existent.

<shrug>

Try major cities. Stores typically have better selection in their flagship stores and SF was loaded with them compared to Sacramento, which was better than San Jose, which was better than Palo Alto.

Nordstrom. I also saw a couple nice ones at Saks. If you're looking for cheaper though, I couldn't find anything.

Hey, for cheap suits but of good quality...Check out Ross, you'd be surprised! Sometimes, you get 70% off department store prices.
But it takes time to search for it...anyway, check it out.

for girls (and maybe guys too) Express sells pretty inexpensive, but nice, suits. I got mine for $95, because I opened a credit card (saved 15%), used a coupon (saved 20 bucks) and then I had a $30 gift card. Still though, its a good price for a first suit!

I haven't interviewed yet (or even applied) but for other suit-worthy job interviews I had pretty good luck finding a deal on suits at men's warehouse(they have a website) and JC Penny's. Most importantly, IMHO, is that you have the suit properly tailored to you. It's cheap (around 20 bucks or so, depending) and can make a big difference in your appearance.

Do you take anything with you to the intrview? a resume or something? or are you supposed to go empty handed?
I heard a lot about getting a leather suitcase and taking it with me, but what should I put in it?

Can anyone answer this question? Does anyone take backpacks/bags/briefcases to interviews?

Can anyone answer this question? Does anyone take backpacks/bags/briefcases to interviews?

I didn't see anyone so far with full-blown backpacks/bags/briefcases so far, but a number of people - including myself - brought nice-looking, professional folders. I stuck a pen and pad in it - it was also nice to have a place to store all the handouts they gave us.