Pre-Dental Major Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZMalek111

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying for my Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I was told to study something I enjoy and I love this field, as much as I want to become a Dentist. I want to complete this in 3-4 years. My question is would it take me much longer to do this AND get the pre-reqs done? I am seriously considering toughening up and doing a Biology major just to take care of the pre-reqs in the degree. My only problem would be that Dental schools see Biology major's nonstop right? I am a non-traditional student, am 28 years old and have been a Restaurant Manager my whole adult life. Any comments on this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you could complete the pre-reqs and major in CIS in 4 years. It probably won't be very fun to fit an extra 40~ credits of pre-reqs along with your CIS classes, but it's possible. Being a biology major won't hurt your chances at admissions at all.

Do not choose a major just because you think it will impress adcoms. Choose a major that you are passionate about and have the ability to succeed in. I don't think dental schools will mind if you take beyond a fourth year, as long as you are not constantly dropping classes or trying to take the minimum number of credits possible (~15 credits per semester is what you should generally aim for). Also, think of undergrad as your opportunity to study something outside of dentistry that interests you. You don't want to start dental school and then look back and regret not taking advantage of that opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you could complete the pre-reqs and major in CIS in 4 years. It probably won't be very fun to fit an extra 40~ credits of pre-reqs along with your CIS classes, but it's possible. Being a biology major won't hurt your chances at admissions at all.

Thanks I am not looking forward to adding an extra 40 credits on top of my CIS degree. I just may make the switch to a science degree, any other science options other than Biology?

Do not choose a major just because you think it will impress adcoms. Choose a major that you are passionate about and have the ability to succeed in. I don't think dental schools will mind if you take beyond a fourth year, as long as you are not constantly dropping classes or trying to take the minimum number of credits possible (~15 credits per semester is what you should generally aim for). Also, think of undergrad as your opportunity to study something outside of dentistry that interests you. You don't want to start dental school and then look back and regret not taking advantage of that opportunity.

I am doing CIS because I enjoy it, I am not doing Biology because I think it is generic. I was just troubled by the fact I would have to do so much extra for the pre-reqs. I really don't want to take 5 years to complete a bachelors and I want options to really avoid that. Thanks!

Thanks I am not looking forward to adding an extra 40 credits on top of my CIS degree. I just may make the switch to a science degree, any other science options other than Biology?
Haha you don't like biology or something? :p
Biochemistry maybe?

Haha you don't like biology or something? :p
Biochemistry maybe?

lol It is not that, just browsing my options. Another thing I forgot to mention is what if something really bad happens and I can't attend Dental school in 4 years? How will I be able to fall back on a Biology degree? This is nonsense thinking though, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too smh

Reactions: 1 user
lol It is not that, just browsing my options. Another thing I forgot to mention is what if something really bad happens and I can't attend Dental school in 4 years? How will I be able to fall back on a Biology degree? This is nonsense thinking though, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too smh
Oh that. Ehh it's just a risk you have to take I suppose.
Well you're already restaurant manager so you have that to fall back on right?

Oh that. Ehh it's just a risk you have to take I suppose.
Well you're already restaurant manager so you have that to fall back on right?

I would kill myself before going back into that Industry. I am going to speak to a Counselor at the school and see if I can complete my pre-reqs AND CIS degree in 4 years. Thanks for the advice and good luck in your career!

Reactions: 1 user
I would kill myself before going back into that Industry. I am going to speak to a Counselor at the school and see if I can complete my pre-reqs AND CIS degree in 4 years. Thanks for the advice and good luck in your career!
Understood.
Good luck.:thumbup:

Guys. I have 3 extracted teeth in the lower jaw (molars) and some fillings at the molars at the upper jaw. Soon I will have implants so I could get my teeth fixed... can I still enroll to dentistry even if I have some of my teeth implanted?

Guys. I have 3 extracted teeth in the lower jaw (molars) and some fillings at the molars at the upper jaw. Soon I will have implants so I could get my teeth fixed... can I still enroll to dentistry even if I have some of my teeth implanted?
Yes.