Pre-med Committee won't meet to write letter of Recommendation!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JapaneseSakura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The head of the committee has set up a date for all of the premed committee members to meet and to talk about my letter of recommendation. He told me that no one wants to meet and he can't seems to get in contact with any of them! What do I do? Do you have to send a committee letter? Can the head just send out my letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

The head of the committee has set up a date for all of the premed committee members to meet and to talk about my letter of recommendation. He told me that no one wants to meet and he can't seems to get in contact with any of them! What do I do? Do you have to send a committee letter? Can the head just send out my letters of recommendation?

Most schools accept either a committee letter or you can replace that with two science letters (each school could be different). I would look into that.

Wow what school do you go to? At my school, the premed committee = one person haha. And I am pretty sure you're not the only premed student planning to apply soon. If you got a bunch of your premed friends and see the head of the committee, it might show them that you guys mean business and push them harder to get this meeting on its way. Its your future on the line and you can't let lazy people stop you!

Members don't see this ad :)
either you're too late, or too early to be worrying about this. as wolverine suggested look at each schools letter requirements and go from there. committee letters are not absolutely necessary.

To answer OP, I would look at all the schools to which you want to apply and look for alternatives to committee letter submissions. It's usually a couple faculty letters (science) and then your LOR from a physician.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but this is semi-relevant:

At what point in the process do you need your committee letter ready? Assuming one applies May 1/June 1 or whatever the AACOMAS opening date is, how far in advance does the committee letter need to be drafted?

you dont send your letters until you get secondaries, and at the LECOM's they don't want your letters until you are invited for an interview. if you apply on the first day of the cycle, expect secondaries about a week or so later for the early schools, so you want to have you letters by the middle of june if you can.

Unfortunately, I go to a very strict/awful school. But, I did talk to him and he did tell me that the other option was to send my letters like you all said. I've checked the schools and most don't require a premed committee letter, great! You are right angryazn, it is my future and I will not let them stop me!

Why won't they write one, I would suspect low GPA, but it could be other issues? If you gave some more information it would be easier to advise you.