1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pre-Med Crisis: DIY or Formal Postbacc

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by EnzymaticFuture, May 1, 2018.

1. EnzymaticFuture

Pre-Medical
    Hey Pre-med family, hope all is well. I just have a quick question. I got accepted to the GeorgeSquared post bacc program but i was wondering if a DIY postbacc (30 credits) would be just as good to get me looked at for most DO schools and maybe low-tiered MD schools (if successful in post bacc & MCAT)?

Stats: 3.09 cgpa, 2.85 sgpa, 3.64 other

East African, URM

Great EC and LORs

MCAT pending.

toinfinityandbeyonce likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NoMessEMS

Pre-Medical
    Hey! I don't feel like I'm qualified to answer your question on your chances, so I will leave that for some one else. I was wondering, though, how long did it take for you to hear back from GMU about your acceptance to the GeorgeSquared program? I submitted my app on the 7th and it was marked complete on the 15th. I'd really like to attend the program if I get in, so I'm anxious to know how long it takes to receive a decision. It seems like all of the SMP/PB programs differ in their decision making time period.

Wishing you the best of luck!

4. toinfinityandbeyonce

Pre-Medical
    Hi all! I just graduated from the GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences program in May 2018. Please feel welcome to post any questions you may have. I would love to share my insight and be as transparent as possible, since I too was in your shoes searching on SDN last year. If you have any academic or formal questions (such as your credentials, application process, deadlines), I recommend that you email the program directly. Otherwise, I can answer away here!

5. toinfinityandbeyonce

Pre-Medical
    If your application is confirmed complete, give them time to process it. I believe for me, it took 4 weeks to get my acceptance, but for other classmates, it took a little longer because their application materials were still trickling in. It is appropriate to send a gentle email to touch base with your application status, but unless you are approaching strict financial aid deadlines, I wouldn't worry.

Good luck!

6. Dr. Meliodas

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I am not to familiar with the George Squared program. From looking at their website it seems as if it is a graduate certificate program. So I am not sure if the courses taken in the program count as post-bacc or graduate courses. If they fall under the "graduate" category on the AMCAS then it would be better to do a DIY post-bacc.

From what I've seen on SDN it doesn't really matter where you do your post-bacc just that you do well. The good side of the George Squared program is that they provide you with the Kaplan MCAT prep course which might be helpful. On the flip side if you did a DIY program and it was significantly cheaper then you could probably pay for the Kaplan course with the money you'd save anyways.

Whatever program you are considering, make sure that the courses you take qualify as post-bacc when you apply to medical school and not graduate courses. As per the most recent report from the AAMC, when considering who to invite to interview, postbacc coursework falls under the "Highest Importance" rating, while graduate or professional program falls under the "Lowest Importance" rating.

@toinfinityandbeyonce maybe be able to tell you if the courses fall under post-bacc or graduate.

gyngyn and toinfinityandbeyonce like this.
  7. toinfinityandbeyonce

Pre-Medical
    Hi! GeorgeSquared courses will be reported on your medical school application as graduate coursework.

Dr. Meliodas likes this.
  8. Walter Raleigh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do a DIY postbacc. Get a 3.7 or better in it and a 510+ on your MCAT, and you can be a solid MD candidate; as an URM, you might be able to get away with a 505+ and a 3.6+.

9. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Podiatry Student
    What is other?

10. Dr. Meliodas

Medical Student (Accepted)
    URM can get passed with way lower than a 3.6 GPA and still be competative (obviously depends on the specific schools).

11. Walter Raleigh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Perhaps - I was being conservative.

12. EnzymaticFuture

Pre-Medical
    Wow, thank you for the replies everyone! I decided to do a DIY post bacc at my state school (UNLV). Can’t wait to embark on this journey of reinvention. Good luck to everyone!

Dr. Meliodas likes this.
  13. Walter Raleigh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck. If your GPAs make it above the magic 3.0 number and your MCAT's north of, say, 505, you should get some love. 510+ is preferred though.

EnzymaticFuture likes this.