Pre-Med Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thisjatti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've decided on the university I'm attending (George Mason!!! SO excited about my full-ride :D), but I'm still unclear about my major. The reason I didn't post this on the hSDN forum is because...fellow high schoolers might just be as confused as me, so I wanted advice from people with EXPERIENCE !

So here are some things I'm considering

Major in Microbiology, minor in Political Philosophy & Neuroscience

Major in Microbiology, minor in Anthropology & Neuroscienec

Major in Anthropology, Minor in Biology

Major in Neuroscience, minor in Anthropology & Neuroscience.

HELP! TOO MANY OPTIONS!

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, congratulations on your full ride!

Truly, it doesn't matter what you major in so long as you do well in your classes and have time to take your pre-reqs (and do well on them as well) and partake in meaningful ECs. Argueably, a non-science major can be seen as advantageous because it sets your apart and makes you appear well-rounded. There's also a good chance you'll change your major at least once. If you have to declare before you matriculate, just pick what seems the most interesting to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Truly, it doesn't matter what you major in so long as you do well in your classes and have time to take your pre-reqs (and do well on them as well) and partake in meaningful ECs. Argueably, a non-science major can be seen as advantageous because it sets your apart and makes you appear well-rounded. There's also a good chance you'll change your major at least once. If you have to declare before you matriculate, just pick what seems the most interesting to you.

QFT.

You'll get all the sciences you need from the prereqs. By the time you actually finish med school you'll be begging to look at different material, so take advantage of this time now and study other things that interest you!

I majored in Zoology and minored in classics as a premed, and my only regret was not doing the full classics major

:)

like previously stated, if you're required to choose a specified major (i assume undeclared/exploratory/pre-professional isn't an option?) Then choose whichever major you feel best suits you.

you should have the option of switching if you change your mind.

Major in Microbiology, minor in Political Philosophy & Neuroscience

Major in Microbiology, minor in Anthropology & Neuroscienec

Major in Anthropology, Minor in Biology

Major in Neuroscience, minor in Anthropology & Neuroscience.

Declare one, then take classes in all of them and figure out which you like the best. Contrary to some people's beliefs, you are allowed to change your declared major in college. And, it might not be worth it to minor in all those anyway, so play it by ear.

If I could go back, I'd probably major in a social science just so I wouldn't have to deal with all the extraneous science and math classes that aren't tested on the MCAT. But you can major in whatever you want, preferably something that you actually like.