pre-med/med-student fitness thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely go to Planet Fitness. They have PIZZA PARTIES and DOUGHNUTS. F*** yeah!

/flameshield

Let's load up on saturated fats after a marginally productive workout yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely go to Planet Fitness. They have PIZZA PARTIES and DOUGHNUTS. F*** yeah!

/flameshield

I know you're being farcical, but they really only offer it once a month, and you can only take one pizza at a time. Most lifters would probably be lying if they said they couldn't afford to eat a pizza slice once a month. Either way, I agree with you, PF is a crappy gym and shady business practice and anybody slightly more advanced than a beginner should find a gym elsewhere.

Focusing on "the perfect workout program" is a waste of time and effort. Go do some big lifts, recover, do some more, do some sprints, occasional longer distance, swim, do yoga/tai chi, gymnastics - focus more on what is important to you but hit everything every so often.

Be good to your joints, warm up, stretch, be cautious with fad workout programs. While I love CrossFit and believe they're doing great things for many people, I'm predicting 10, 20, 30 years from now many CrossFit athletes will be struggling with shoulder joint issues (kipping pullups/muscle ups) among other problems caused by their workouts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phil%2BHeath,%2BPlanet%2BFitness%2BMeme.jpg
I actually had trouble breathing because I was laughing so hard at this. This is awesome - thank you for this.

Focusing on "the perfect workout program" is a waste of time and effort. Go do some big lifts, recover, do some more, do some sprints, occasional longer distance, swim, do yoga/tai chi, gymnastics - focus more on what is important to you but hit everything every so often.

Be good to your joints, warm up, stretch, be cautious with fad workout programs. While I love CrossFit and believe they're doing great things for many people, I'm predicting 10, 20, 30 years from now many CrossFit athletes will be struggling with shoulder joint issues (kipping pullups/muscle ups) among other problems caused by their workouts.

I'm entirely with you on this one - weighted shoulder cuff rotations are not supposed to be done speedily. I am adamantly against cross-fit.

Ok so what suggestions do people have for a gym? I understand that planet fitness is not for lifters. But just for a more sports performance focus

Ok so what suggestions do people have for a gym? I understand that planet fitness is not for lifters. But just for a more sports performance focus
I would try to look for a cross fit gym.
Edit: Oh wait. I thought you said what gym should you look for if your goal is to perform better in sports. LA Fitness or 24 hour fitness these mainstream gyms are good. I wish I had a Gold's gym around my area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Following texas method 5x5. Got me to hit 495x3x5 on deads and 405x1 high bar Olympic squat. My dream was to hit 600 on deadlifts before medical school and 700 after.

A number of martial arts gyms have in addition to their training areas, gym space fully equipped with weights, racks, machines, CV equipment, etc.

If you are in NYC or Los Angeles, UFC has a chain of gyms that is actually pretty phenomenal.

Boston Sports Club, Philadelphia Sports Club, NY Sports Club are also good if you are in those cities. Golds Gym (though I am not sure how widespread Golds is)

If I end up going to SUNY Downstate for medical school I will probably hit up Gleasons Gym - HOME OF BROOKLYNS FINEST haha

@touchpause13

A crossfit gym might be expensive, and it might not be congruent with your goals. But they are (sometimes) an excellent place for guidance

Crossfit is guaranteed to wreck your back, knees, shoulder, and spine before your 25th birthday. Any runners here? My only fitness goals, to lose 30 pounds before August and get 6min-mile, 13min 2 mile, 21 min 5k.

Things to look for in a gym:
  • Atmosphere
  • Hours of operation
  • Variety of equipment. Does this gym provide the equipment I want? Pool, sauna, stair master, group classes, etc.
  • How often does the gym get clean and sanitized.
  • Does The Buff OP workout there?
  • How far is the gym from my house or job?
  • Can I pay the monthly price they offer?
  • If you are going to be looking for a personal trainer. Do they even lift? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to look for a cross fit gym.

They are quite spendy,

Also I'm concerned because of the amount of damage I have done and will continue to do on my joints, back, and shoulders playing rugby. I need a good off season training regimen, not to destroy my body any further lol

They are quite spendy,

Also I'm concerned because of the amount of damage I have done and will continue to do on my joints, back, and shoulders playing rugby. I need a good off season training regimen, not to destroy my body any further lol
Look at my post on things to look for on a gym. BTW are you a male or female?
Edit: Never mind. Don't take this offensive, but I never heard of females playing rugby. That's cool.

Last edited:

/flameshield
So for we can keep this thread a lil about pre-med/med student related. Always listen to your resident. +1 @KnuxNole

@touchpause13 - Check out the gym at your local Y, many suck but some are quite nice. My local Y is good for my needs and includes classes, pool, hot tub etc for cheaper than other gyms in the area.

I don't think it's without its faults (that video was appalling - I couldn't watch past the first 30 sec), but overall I'm a huge fan of CrossFit. I've also been paleo for about two years and love it. I do the programmed workout 5 - 6 days a week, with added strength sessions 2 - 3 days a week depending on my work schedule. Squatting is pretty much my favorite thing ever. I'm doing a Hatch cycle right now; I like that it's only 2 days a week and I'm pretty happy with the results. Also doing a bench program because my bench is sad and puny. Protein, fish oil, and hyaluronic acid for supplements.

Yeah, female rugby was pretty popular at my undergraduate university. The girls weren't**, but among the women it was pretty popular lol.
That video was a source of great joy and hilarity for me. Thank you for sharing, Testosterone.

**you either got your butt whipped by these women, or they were your workout buddies. lol

Look at my post on things to look for on a gym. BTW are you a male or female?
Edit: Never mind. Don't take this offensive, but I never heard of females playing rugby. That's cool.

It's okay. Rugby isn't the most common sport so I understand that confusion. Yes there is women's rugby, yes the rules are the same as men's rugby.

@touchpause13 - Check out the gym at your local Y, many suck but some are quite nice. My local Y is good for my needs and includes classes, pool, hot tub etc for cheaper than other gyms in the area.

Yeah that's where I used to go in high school, the Y's in metropolitan areas have been excellent IMO and the price was not bad. Hmmm thanks for the advice dude (and buffOP) I'll have to do some research

I'm actually trying to drop size/fat and have a men's physique body, but I don't know yet. Sometimes I do want to end up staying big or bigger (I wear 2XL shirts) but then I want a body with aesthetic look for sports and the ladies lol. In addition, the heavy drug use that goes into bodybuilding I don't know if I want to go through all of that.

Try IF, good results if you're trying to cut your body fat.

She has slightly better form atleast. Pretty ridiculous though

The disabled girl in that video could teach everyone else in that room, properish form.
"Crossfit cures cerebral palsy"....you've got to be kidding me!

How do bodybuilders usually cut?

I do a lot of cardio (like 30 on the elliptical, 30 run, and 30 on bicycle or rowing or stair master)

And then as far as the lifts go, on lift days, high rep, low weight.

Like, 20 lb dumbbell curl for 20-30 reps

Working my way up the mile markers with a running buddy from work; we've run two 5ks in the last 2 months (which is crazy for me since the most I ever ran at once before this fall was a mile!). We're planning on doing an 8k in March and a 10k in April (plus a lot of fun 5ks like the color run in June); there are a lot of cool races in the Chicago area. I was a sprinter swimmer in high school, so this whole running thing is new and exciting for me.

Oh and I'm spoiled by my gym; my work (part of a university) has an attached fitness center & it is awesome. :) 2 levels, nice track, more weights than you could dream of, fitness classes, multiple pools, saunas/steam rooms/hot tubs in the locker rooms, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How do bodybuilders usually cut?
You ready?
  1. Diet: Carb cycling, no carbs, and ketogenic diet. Personal diets made by their nutrition coach, like different days they will get different macros to eat for the day.
  2. Anabolic steroids.
  3. Human growth hormone.
  4. Peptides (IGF-LR3)
  5. Thyroid drugs (T3)
  6. Oral steroids (Anavar and winstrol)
  7. Cardio (low intensity)

Working my way up the mile markers with a running buddy from work; we've run two 5ks in the last 2 months (which is crazy for me since the most I ever ran at once before this fall was a mile!). We're planning on doing an 8k in March and a 10k in April (plus a lot of fun 5ks like the color run in June); there are a lot of cool races in the Chicago area. I was a sprinter swimmer in high school, so this whole running thing is new and exciting for me.

Oh and I'm spoiled by my gym; my work (part of a university) has an attached fitness center & it is awesome. :) 2 levels, nice track, more weights than you could dream of, fitness classes, multiple pools, saunas/steam rooms/hot tubs in the locker rooms, etc.
Good job on the running.

I was the Lenny Krayzelburg of my H.S lol
So I am right there with you on the newbie running front.
You're from Chicago? That's awesome! You ever run out towards the Adler and just admire the skyline on your run back?

What university is this, and do they have a medical school? PM me if you don't feel like broadcasting where you work :)

You ready?
  1. Diet: Carb cycling, no carbs, and ketogenic diet. Personal diets made by their nutrition coach, like different days they will get different macros to eat for the day.
  2. Anabolic steroids.
  3. Human growth hormone.
  4. Peptides (IGF-LR3)
  5. Thyroid drugs (T3)
  6. Oral steroids (Anavar and winstrol)
  7. Cardio (low intensity)

Why do you say low intensity?
I thought HIIT was the way to go for cuts?

I'm sorry for the n00b questions, but what is cuts?

I'm sorry for the n00b questions, but what is cuts?

When you are in a cutting phase. It means to melt away the fat you put on during a phase where you built up lean muscle mass, but in the process had also tacked on some flab

Good job on the running.

Thanks! After being a sprinter for most of my life, it definitely feels like quite the accomplishment haha. :D

I was the Lenny Krayzelburg of my H.S lol
So I am right there with you on the newbie running front.
You're from Chicago? That's awesome! You ever run out towards the Adler and just admire the skyline on your run back?

What university is this, and do they have a medical school? PM me if you don't feel like broadcasting where you work :)

Not sure I get the reference?

Yep, and actually both of the 5ks I've run were in/around Grant Park so I definitely got to admire the beautiful skyline. :) Have not run from the Adler but that's a great/cheap place to park the morning of races nearby haha.

Would rather not say since I already gave out its general location, but yes it has a medical school.

Thanks! After being a sprinter for most of my life, it definitely feels like quite the accomplishment haha. :D

Not sure I get the reference?

Yep, and actually both of the 5ks I've run were in/around Grant Park so I definitely got to admire the beautiful skyline. :) Have not run from the Adler but that's a great/cheap place to park the morning of races nearby haha.

Would rather not say since I already gave out its general location, but yes it has a medical school.

Maybe I was thinking of the Shedd....

Lenny Krazelberg....US Olympic Backstroker from the 2000's....maybe Athens was his last Olympic Games? Could have possibly been in Sydney as well - I doubt he was at Beijing.

I run on a treadmill - I cannot pace myself outdoors...but the medical school I may be going to has a gym at the top of a high rise that gives an incredible view of the city. I can't tell you which city though because this will pretty much give the school away womp womp

Maybe I was thinking of the Shedd....

Lenny Krazelberg....US Olympic Backstroker from the 2000's....maybe Athens was his last Olympic Games? Could have possibly been in Sydney as well - I doubt he was at Beijing.

I run on a treadmill - I cannot pace myself outdoors...but the medical school I may be going to has a gym at the top of a high rise that gives an incredible view of the city. I can't tell you which city though because this will pretty much give the school away womp womp

Guess we are the only ones left in this thread for now; we can continue this convo via PM (sent). :)

Are you squatting with the bar on your traps (high bar) or slightly below? If the former, I think that you're putting the weight of the bar on your hands as opposed to your traps. The easiest way to fix this is to ensure that your hand is in line with your forearm throughout the movement. Or, use a false grip (thumbs around)

I probably have it too high, it hurts where it sits but maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I can't seem to get my hands on the bar if it sits on my traps.

I'm actually trying to drop size/fat and have a men's physique body, but I don't know yet. Sometimes I do want to end up staying big or bigger (I wear 2XL shirts) but then I want a body with aesthetic look for sports and the ladies lol. In addition, the heavy drug use that goes into bodybuilding I don't know if I want to go through all of that.

yeah exactly, it always comes down to what's more aesthetically pleasing around these parts, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's more cut up and bags more chicks than one of my brothers hahaha. problem is my body type is naturally bigger, so maintaining my current look takes more work. big man bodybuilding is just too much for me in the opposite direction.

also feel your pain with the clothing. i went to get my suit tailored recently for a party. 34 waist, 44 jacket. awkward

Last edited:
yeah exactly, it always comes down to what's more aesthetically pleasing around these parts, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's more cut up and bags more chicks than one of my brothers hahaha. problem is my body type is naturally bigger, so maintaining my current look takes more work. big man bodybuilding is just too much for me in the opposite direction.

also feel your pain with the clothing. i went to get my suit tailored recently for a party. 34 waist, 44 jacket. awkward
I haven't wore jeans in a year. I'm endomorph so I feel yah. That's why I don't know if I can have the body like this dude http://media.muskuli.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Alex-Carneiro-3.jpg No matter what I will alway have a stocky body.

Does anyone here consistently maintain 6-8 percent body fat? I'm usually at 9-10 while I diet and exercise. The only way I get down to 6-8 is when I cut carbs, which isn't a good idea in the long run. Even HIIT and intermittent fasting haven't gotten my fat below 9%.

Status
Not open for further replies.