Pre-Med, Then Liberal Arts, Then Post-Bac Pre-Med, And Finally I Hit a Wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheyprotein

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, there.

I have a very mixed and confusing academic background but let me try to simplify it for you as much as possible. I started as an undergraduate student back in 2001 as a pre-medicine major but I chose pre-med just for the heck of it. It was something my parents suggested so not having thought about what I wanted, I blindly followed. I did pre-med for about two-and-a-half years and I totally bombed the few classes that I took (Gen. Chem 1, Gen. Chem 2, Bio 1, and Physics 1). After suffering from a low GPA for long enough, I discovered that I had a passion for politics, history, and writing. So, I switched my major to political science and history. I was the MAN in those two majors, rocking straight A's for the last two years of my undergraduate career. I completed both majors with distinct honors and I was well on my way to becoming a professor or a lawyer.

Shortly after graduating from undergrad, I rediscovered the field of medicine and I began to grow a genuine passion for wanting to become a doctor. So, immediately after graduating, I enrolled in a post-bac pre-medicine program in which I took the four basic pre-med pre-requisites (Gen. Chem, Physics, Bio, and Orgo). I did well in the courses and ended with a 3.56 GPA.

I am currently studying for the MCAT which I am scheduled to take in August. However, I just spoke with an ADCOM from my top school of choice who told me that I may have to explore the option of taking more science courses. She said my science GPA turned out to be around 2.9. The few pre-medicine courses I took way back when have come back to haunt me, and I took them with hardly any interest at all because medicine was not my thing at the time! But now they are coming back to bite me! Is it true that I have to take more science courses despite having done exceptionally well in my post-bac?? Is there anyway I can get into medical school without taking more courses?? I'm out of money and had I known that I would be in this situation 2 years ago, I probably would not have started the post-bac! I'm stuck, confused, and lost!

Members don't see this ad.

Allopathic schools are my top choice. I really need to get into an allopathic school in order to carry out the work I want to do once I become a physician Am I to infer from your question that MD is out of the question?

Allopathic schools are my top choice. I really need to get into an allopathic school in order to carry out the work I want to do once I become a physician Am I to infer from your question that MD is out of the question?

I'm not going to pretend I really know the answer to your question; if I'm learning anything from this process, it is that anything anyone tells you is probably wrong :D. There are no hard and fast rules as to if/where you'll get in; apply to a wide range of schools and see what happens. Just because hardly anyone gets in with a GPA under a certain mark, do not assume that you will not get in. And do more research into osteopathic medicine; from what I have been given to understand, you could potentially go into any field from an osteopathic school.

What about doing a master's degree? Just a thought.