WAMC: Advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayyrozay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at ways I can make becoming a physician a reality. I tried suppressing my desire to become one, but I think I keep beating myself up over never applying myself to it out of fear of failure or rejection, so, this is my Hail Mary.

I have a degree in Computer Information Systems, with a concentration in Cybersecurity. My cGPA 3.05 sGPA 3.2. I currently work on Wall Street. I have began researching a little about options to get me on track, but could use some direction/advice.

At present, I have not taken the courses needed to fulfill the science requirements for Med School. Secondly, I really need to increase my cGPA to be competitive. Would it be recommended that I pursue a graduate degree program or post-bacc to get the courses needed and make myself more competitive? I’ve seen a little about SMPs, should that be an option too? Not sure if those can satisfy my science course requirements

I live in NYC and ideally would like to participate in an evening/part time program, if possible. So, any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Also, if you have one, where did you all seek out your medical mentor/advisor person. I’d love to connect with one.

Members don't see this ad.

The most important component of your GPA is your biology/chemistry/physics/math GPA. Your computer science and engineering classes will not count toward this.

You’ve probably taken few BCPM classes which means you can work toward a high BCPM GPA by doing postbacc course either in a la carte way through local universities or via a formal & usually expensive postbacc program like Columbia’s.

There may be others like it in NYC. You would have to do some digging,

Unlike undergrad postbacc classes, graduate course grades cannot be used to boost your undergrad GPA for MD programs.

In SMP programs, you take real medical school classes alongside real medical students. If you haven’t taken undergrad prerequisites, then a SMP isn’t for you.

You also need the MCAT, clinical experience, shadowing, nonclinical volunteering with the disadvantaged, at a minimum. Some schools also want teaching, research & leadership.

Have you ever been in a clinical setting? Perhaps try volunteering at a hospital to see or shadowing a doctor first before investing more heavily in your premed efforts.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at ways I can make becoming a physician a reality. I tried suppressing my desire to become one, but I think I keep beating myself up over never applying myself to it out of fear of failure or rejection, so, this is my Hail Mary.

I have a degree in Computer Information Systems, with a concentration in Cybersecurity. My cGPA 3.05 sGPA 3.2. I currently work on Wall Street. I have began researching a little about options to get me on track, but could use some direction/advice.

At present, I have not taken the courses needed to fulfill the science requirements for Med School. Secondly, I really need to increase my cGPA to be competitive. Would it be recommended that I pursue a graduate degree program or post-bacc to get the courses needed and make myself more competitive? I’ve seen a little about SMPs, should that be an option too? Not sure if those can satisfy my science course requirements

I live in NYC and ideally would like to participate in an evening/part time program, if possible. So, any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Also, if you have one, where did you all seek out your medical mentor/advisor person. I’d love to connect with one.
A post-bac program or SMP (assuming you do well in it) will really help you. You'll take the pre-reqs and have a recent track record of academic achievement in relevant coursework. You'll need to figure out if you want a formal post-bac program, which is more expensive, but will give you guidance and support.

You also need to start volunteering in your community and gain clinical exposure. Even if you did volunteer as an undergrad, you're going to want to start ASAP to do so again to show that you have a service orientation and also to show that you are choosing medicine because you want to do clinical medicine and not just because you don't want to Wall Street.

Reactions: 2 users