This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-med student 1416

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting to the Student Forum, and I really would like some advice.

I am currently a pre-medical student at a small liberal arts private college. I have no one in my immediate family or non-immediate family who are doctors. With this said, I rely on what I hear from outside sources and I get so many different opinions. I just do not know who or where to turn to for advice. I'm hoping this will help!

Here is my story:
I am a Junior, Neuroscience major, and I currently have a 3.6 GPA. My math and science GPA is a 3.4.

CHM 111 A
CHM 112 B+
CHM 221 B+
BIO 211 B
BIO 212 B
Pre-Cal B+
Calculus B

I still have both physics to take, Ochem 2, genetics, biochemistry, and other classes for my major along with some prerequisites.
I am an officer of two clubs, tutored, went on a medical mission trip (170 patient care hours), and have community service hours (Make-A-Wish wish granter, miscellaneous)
I do research with a professor and I am doing an independent research project of my own.
I worked as a medical scribe (which counts as patient care so 200 hours of that)
I am having a difficult time finding doctors I can shadow, so I currently have no shadowing hours.

I take out every possible federal loan I can for college right now and have grants and scholarships that also help. My mother is a teacher and my father works as a safety manager for construction. I work over the summer as a waitress so I don't have to work during the school year.

Am I a good candidate for medical school? I work really hard but as you can see I get mostly B's and I do not have a lot of shadowing hours. I still have a year and a half to bring up my grades and shadow some but will this be enough?

I have wanted to be a doctor since I was 8 years old. Everything I have done up until now has only made me more passionate about medicine. I know helping people in the way a doctor can help someone is what I want to do with my life but I need to know whether this goal of mine is attainable or not. I want honest answers from people who can tell me whether I should keep pursuing this or whether I do not have a chance. I do not want to give up on medical school and I am willing to put in the work it takes, but I also have to be realistic because like many others I am putting a lot of money and time into this.

As I said before I have heard various things from outside sources like "you are competing against people who get 4.0s or 3.8 science GPA, doesn't look good" "You cannot apply to medical school with a GPA lower than a 3.7 or a math science GPA lower than a 3.6" or "I've heard stories of people who had low GPA's but still got in," "Just don't give up,"etc.

I do not want to give up but I do want the facts. Am I a good candidate or not? What more do I need to do to become a good candidate? Should I pursue a different passion of mine or look into other careers?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you have a good chamce
This is my first time posting to the Student Forum, and I really would like some advice.

I am currently a pre-medical student at a small liberal arts private college. I have no one in my immediate family or non-immediate family who are doctors. With this said, I rely on what I hear from outside sources and I get so many different opinions. I just do not know who or where to turn to for advice. I'm hoping this will help!

Here is my story:
I am a Junior, Neuroscience major, and I currently have a 3.6 GPA. My math and science GPA is a 3.4.

CHM 111 A
CHM 112 B+
CHM 221 B+
BIO 211 B
BIO 212 B
Pre-Cal B+
Calculus B

I still have both physics to take, Ochem 2, genetics, biochemistry, and other classes for my major along with some prerequisites.
I am an officer of two clubs, tutored, went on a medical mission trip (170 patient care hours), and have community service hours (Make-A-Wish wish granter, miscellaneous)
I do research with a professor and I am doing an independent research project of my own.
I worked as a medical scribe (which counts as patient care so 200 hours of that)
I am having a difficult time finding doctors I can shadow, so I currently have no shadowing hours.

I take out every possible federal loan I can for college right now and have grants and scholarships that also help. My mother is a teacher and my father works as a safety manager for construction. I work over the summer as a waitress so I don't have to work during the school year.

Am I a good candidate for medical school? I work really hard but as you can see I get mostly B's and I do not have a lot of shadowing hours. I still have a year and a half to bring up my grades and shadow some but will this be enough?

I have wanted to be a doctor since I was 8 years old. Everything I have done up until now has only made me more passionate about medicine. I know helping people in the way a doctor can help someone is what I want to do with my life but I need to know whether this goal of mine is attainable or not. I want honest answers from people who can tell me whether I should keep pursuing this or whether I do not have a chance. I do not want to give up on medical school and I am willing to put in the work it takes, but I also have to be realistic because like many others I am putting a lot of money and time into this.

As I said before I have heard various things from outside sources like "you are competing against people who get 4.0s or 3.8 science GPA, doesn't look good" "You cannot apply to medical school with a GPA lower than a 3.7 or a math science GPA lower than a 3.6" or "I've heard stories of people who had low GPA's but still got in," "Just don't give up,"etc.

I do not want to give up but I do want the facts. Am I a good candidate or not? What more do I need to do to become a good candidate? Should I pursue a different passion of mine or look into other careers?

Thank you!
you have a good chance, just try tobget As on the rest of the courses and get competitive MCAT

A competitive MCAT score would do you well. Make sure when you plan to take that you give yourself an appropriate amount of time. The MCAT is a very important exam and should take the forefront of your mind when it is that time.

Continue focusing on your grades as well. If MD schools have trouble accepting you then you’re definitely going to be a good candidate for DO school. Your GPA isn’t terrible. Not amazing, but not too terrible to even apply.

One thing that will be important to consider is choosing appropriate schools for your stats. Invest in the MSAR the year you plan to apply. Don’t apply to only T20 schools. Make sure to apply to schools around your stats and then apply to all of your state schools.

People will try to get you down throughout this process, but you can do it! Believe in yourself. Have people you trust proofread your essays to make sure you’re conveying what you mean. I never thought I’d make it into my top choice school because it’s so research intensive and I have no research experience, but I was able to do it. You can get into a good school too. Best of luck with this process, and do not get discouraged. Keep working hard!

Reactions: 1 user
You need A’s and an MCAT score. For us to give you a real idea that’s honestly the deal breaker. You’re not doing as bad as you think right now.