This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morgs88

Reaction score
Hay guys, I hope you are well. I need some serious advice, links, suggestions..etc for the anatomical landmarks of the different vertebrae.

I am requesting any sort of ACCURATE table of the layout to ease the study of all the different important anatomical landmarks that occur in the transverse lines of the different vertebrae (Example: Bifurcation of the aorta takes place on the L4 level).

I have looked through multiple sources without making any progress and the sources (tables etc) I have found do not correlate with each other. Can anyone perhaps provide a reliable source of these different vertebral levels (textbook/webpage/article..etc)

I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean the way I was taught anatomy was regionally with landmarks in relation to other organs.
is really good for vertebra and spinal column.
It seems like you are asking more like about crossections like the sternal angle and abdomal aorta bifurcation, which I don't think there are any else that utilize vertebrae as landmarks. Most landmarks for thoracic cavity are with regards to intercostal spaces. Spinal nerves are identified by where they exit the vetebral column. I guess I just don't understand the question.

Reactions: 1 user
Search "spinal level landmarks" and related terms on Google images. There are a bunch of drawings of various quality that show the relation of the spine to the contents of the thorax and abdomen. If you can find one by Netter that will be the best one. You can also search terms like "transpyloric plane" which is an example of an axial plane that is usually associated with a specific spinal level (L1).

Key point though is that anatomy is variable and if you can't find a definitive answer on the internet, it's probably because there isn't one.

Reactions: 1 users
Search "spinal level landmarks" and related terms on Google images. There are a bunch of drawings of various quality that show the relation of the spine to the contents of the thorax and abdomen. If you can find one by Netter that will be the best one. You can also search terms like "transpyloric plane" which is an example of an axial plane that is usually associated with a specific spinal level (L1).

Key point though is that anatomy is variable and if you can't find a definitive answer on the internet, it's probably because there isn't one.
Bodies don't read textbooks ;)