Pre psych student or psych student ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovinPsych

Psychologist2B
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another weird question from me but I am curious . I know when you're in undergraduate school,you're considered pre-med , and once you get into graduate school or med school you're considered a med student. Is it the same for psychology? Like as long as you're an undergrad , are you still pre-psychology? and once you get to graduate school then you are a psychology student? or does it not matter? :confused:

Stephy:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! :)
If you are IN the psychology program, I believe that you are considered a PSY student. If you haven't declared your major or gotten into the PSY program than you are pre-psy. That is how it is at UHM, not sure if it is the same every where else. Hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always thought that, for the purposes of SDN, "pre-psychology"=undergraduate student and "psychology student"=graduate student.

That's how I read it too. Although I think Pre-Psych also includes HS students, for a lack of a better category.

I've always thought that, for the purposes of SDN, "pre-psychology"=undergraduate student and "psychology student"=graduate student.
Yes, I believe that was the original intention. I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as being "pre-psychology" in real life as you hear people say they're "pre-med" or "pre-vet".

Okay , thank you all for your responses , I'll be a psychology student then quite soon :)