Pre-reqs at CC, bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a strong chance that I'll be going to community college next year, and then transferring to a large university like UF, or USF. There are a lot of reasons for this, like the fact that my parents think I'm too young to be living in a dorm (I'm 15), and the fact that we don't have a lot of money.

So my question is this, will getting some of my pre-med reqs at a Community college be a bad idea?
Or will the medical admissions committee look at it and say "Oh, that kid went to CC, he's no good"?

Note: I'm eligible for the honors courses.

Members don't see this ad.

From other replies I've seen here on this topic: Taking a few isn't bad, but taking all of them is. I'd say you could go take gen chem or gen bio, but leave the rest for after you transfer. However, hopefully someone else can respond and agree or disagree with me :)

If you go to CC full-time, then taking pre-reqs there wouldn't be so bad. The problem is when you attend a 4 year college and take pre-reqs at a CC during the summer, as it looks like you did that since it's easier.

I'd check out the many, many other threads on this...

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a strong chance that I'll be going to community college next year, and then transferring to a large university like UF, or USF. There are a lot of reasons for this, like the fact that my parents think I'm too young to be living in a dorm (I'm 15), and the fact that we don't have a lot of money.

So my question is this, will getting some of my pre-med reqs at a Community college be a bad idea?
Or will the medical admissions committee look at it and say "Oh, that kid went to CC, he's no good"?

Try to take as few pre-reqs as possible. Once you transfer, you may have to take higher level courses of all the pre-reqs you took at CC to prove that you really can do it. There are some softening circumstances: 1. If you major in science and therefore take a lot of science courses after you transfer, your CC pre-reqs might not matter much, 2. If you do really well on MCAT, you might prove that your CC courses were good enough.

Because we can never know what medschool will have what sort of reaction, it is just better to be safe and not take (m)any prereqs at a CC.

u can do bio i & ii with labs at cc... but dont do gen chem, orgo, or physics at cc..... and take a higher level bio course (even one semester course is fine) at a 4 year after u do the year of general bio at cc... i think it would be most helpful if u did physiology at a 4 year...

u can do bio i & ii with labs at cc... but dont do gen chem, orgo, or physics at cc..... and take a higher level bio course (even one semester course is fine) at a 4 year after u do the year of general bio at cc... i think it would be most helpful if u did physiology at a 4 year...

this is bogus. you can do all pre-reqs at CC and be fine. the mcat will take care of any doubt. i was prepared to defend my CC coursework with my mcat scores if it ever came up in an interview. but it never did. instead, i got acceptance letters.

you will be fine, don't listen to the haters

Since I hadn't taken the SAT or ACT in high school, when I finally decided to enroll in college at the age of 22 I chose to attend a community college. I took bio I, chem I & II, and orgo I while there and I can honestly say that I don't think it effected me at all during this application cycle.

Just make sure that you do well in your cc classes and then later prove that you can hack it at a larger university and you'll be fine. Also, like many have said in other threads, the MCAT is the great equalizer and getting a good score can alleviate any potential doubts in adcoms minds.

Good Luck!