Pre Requisite Courses- Online vs In-person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShowGoesOn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Athabasca University/UNE? I am currently a Canadian citizen who is looking to move to the USA for medical school (DO) via nursing and green card but that will not be an option for awhile as I am waiting for my SO to finish their masters so that they can apply for a job in USA while I work/attempt to get into medical school. Does anybody know how medical schools view online courses such as those offered at Athabasca? I was told that they don't mind from a fellow Canadian but i'd like some input. I am from a BScN background, so I haven't done chem/bio/phsyics since high school... which is why i'm leaning towards in-person/structured learning but i'm open to options

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Athabasca in particular, but also consider looking into UNE (University of New England) online courses to fulfill prereqs. They're designed specifically for that purpose & there's a thread somewhere here dedicated to the UNE online courses. Generally, they seem to be accepted at most DO schools from what I've read (including the online courses with lab). You can also finish them at your own pace (within 16 weeks) so it's pretty appealing, albeit they're a bit pricey.

I'm not sure about Athabasca in particular, but also consider looking into UNE (University of New England) online courses to fulfill prereqs. They're designed specifically for that purpose & there's a thread somewhere here dedicated to the UNE online courses. Generally, they seem to be accepted at most DO schools from what I've read (including the online courses with lab). You can also finish them at your own pace (within 16 weeks) so it's pretty appealing, albeit they're a bit pricey.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard of those. I will definitely take a look... I know that UNE has a DO school so that might be a benefit to enrolling in their online courses