Pre-requisite Coursework before matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdfaithful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was blessed to have one acceptance from that one interview that I have received in this cycle.
I am extremely grateful and am living in absolute bliss.
As much as I am enjoying this unbelievable event in my life, I have been making sure to see if I have anything I should complete before starting my new journey in medicine.
I was looking back at at the pre-reqs that were listed in the school's website.

The following were the listed courses:
  • Two courses of general biology with laboratory
  • Two courses of general chemistry or equivalent with laboratory
  • One course of organic chemistry with an accompanying laboratory (Note: A second course of organic chemistry is recommended, or if required by the applicant’s institution)
  • One course of introductory biochemistry
  • Two courses of general physics with laboratory
  • One course of advanced-level biology (junior or senior level)
My uni that I have graduated runs on a quarter system, and I am interpreting the listed courses as semesters.
For the first two bulletpoints, does this mean that I need 3 quarters and 3 quarters of labs?
During my undergrad, I have completed 3 quarters of bio and 2 quarters of upper div bio labs and 3 quarters of gen chem (in addition to my recent CHEM 14XB extension course I have taken through UCLA to make up a C- in one of my gen chem series) and one quarter general chem lab.

For the labs, they were all 4 quarter units each.

TL;DR Medical school requires 2 bio with lab and 2 gen chem with lab (semester units). I have 3 quarters of bio courses and 2 quarter of upper division bio lab courses (4 units each). Three quarters of general chemistry courses and 1 quarter of gen chem lab. Are my courses sufficient? Or should I be enrolling in classes ASAP?

Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I was blessed to have one acceptance from that one interview that I have received in this cycle.
I am extremely grateful and am living in absolute bliss.
As much as I am enjoying this unbelievable event in my life, I have been making sure to see if I have anything I should complete before starting my new journey in medicine.
I was looking back at at the pre-reqs that were listed in the school's website.

The following were the listed courses:
  • Two courses of general biology with laboratory
  • Two courses of general chemistry or equivalent with laboratory
  • One course of organic chemistry with an accompanying laboratory (Note: A second course of organic chemistry is recommended, or if required by the applicant’s institution)
  • One course of introductory biochemistry
  • Two courses of general physics with laboratory
  • One course of advanced-level biology (junior or senior level)
My uni that I have graduated runs on a quarter system, and I am interpreting the listed courses as semesters.
For the first two bulletpoints, does this mean that I need 3 quarters and 3 quarters of labs?
During my undergrad, I have completed 3 quarters of bio and 2 quarters of upper div bio labs and 3 quarters of gen chem (in addition to my recent CHEM 14XB extension course I have taken through UCLA to make up a C- in one of my gen chem series) and one quarter general chem lab.

For the labs, they were all 4 quarter units each.

TL;DR Medical school requires 2 bio with lab and 2 gen chem with lab (semester units). I have 3 quarters of bio courses and 2 quarter of upper division bio lab courses (4 units each). Three quarters of general chemistry courses and 1 quarter of gen chem lab. Are my courses sufficient? Or should I be enrolling in classes ASAP?

Thank you in advance! :)
It's advisable to contact the medical school and ask them to confirm that you've successfully completed all requirements. If you need to do anything before actual matriculation, they will tell you. Otherwise, you can relax and congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
It's advisable to contact the medical school and ask them to confirm that you've successfully completed all requirements. If you need to do anything before actual matriculation, they will tell you. Otherwise, you can relax and congratulations on your acceptance!

Thank you! I sure will call to ask.